Reload this Page >

How Many Expats in this Situation

How Many Expats in this Situation

Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:35 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Many Expats in this Situation

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I have a bit of a mortgage but if I sold up I could buy that place be mortgage free and have 570,000 pounds in the bank.It's very,very tempting.
Will you marry me.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Will you marry me.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:45 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I know which suburb he stays in wendy
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I know which suburb he stays in wendy
Cool. I'll tie him down, you marry him quick!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:13 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Cool. I'll tie him down, you marry him quick!
Yee Har! I'm always up for a bit of role play.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Originally Posted by calliope
They do need work but I am surprised at the cost. There must be a catch?
Yeah there is a catch, there is hardly any work in these areas and lower pay.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
We have a list of saved houses, maybe 20 in total, all of which are at least 4 bed, nice size garden, parking etc. The reason a lot of sellers are now dropping their price to 250k is that is the point at which stamp duty comes in. When the market is slow it pays to provide an incentive.
The thing is that I could look in a local paper here and see 100's of places for $500-600k but also quite a few for around 400k, that doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the 'cheaper' ones.
Have to slightly disagree with you there. I've been looking since July and don't see the bargains. The "cheaper" ones are usually in areas of low unemployment or areas that aren't particularly nice and that's why they are cheaper. I could get more for my money in Swindon or somewhere up north.....but wouldn't want to live there. Try anywhere in the Cotswolds and you'd be lucky to get a good sized property for less than 250,000 so it all depends on area.

We put in two offers on one property where the couple paid over the odds for in 2007 but they wouldn't budge. Agent told me they don't want to lose too much money! I for one haven't seen the bargains people talk about!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boobops
Have to slightly disagree with you there. I've been looking since July and don't see the bargains. The "cheaper" ones are usually in areas of low unemployment or areas that aren't particularly nice and that's why they are cheaper. I could get more for my money in Swindon or somewhere up north.....but wouldn't want to live there. Try anywhere in the Cotswolds and you'd be lucky to get a good sized property for less than 250,000 so it all depends on area.

We put in two offers on one property where the couple paid over the odds for in 2007 but they wouldn't budge. Agent told me they don't want to lose too much money! I for one haven't seen the bargains people talk about!
I would be very surprised if you could get a nice house with four beds in the south for less than 250k, detached anyway. I look from time to time and it seems to be mainly three bed semis in not amazing areas for 250k. As expensive as Australia is I'm wondering if it's still better value.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Chris tends to justify his decision to move back to the UK and is often quick to jump on and exaggerate the reasons for his choice. I keep a good eye on the UK property market. With the exchange rate the way it currently is and the slim gaps between mortage repayments and rental income, I would like to buy a investment property in London with my Aussie dollars. I also keep an eye on country areas the far south east. Neither of which have shown a drop in the past 2 years.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:57 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to a point, just like here many cheaper houses are in not so good areas but of the places we have looked at online it certainly isnt true of all of them by any means.
The Cotswolds is a fantastic area and you would expect to have to pay more there.
The level of unemployment isn't an issue for us.
As I said earlier because of the 250k cut off where you start paying stamp duty we have noticed quite a few places that were say 270k dropping down to the lower price.

Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well be prepared to be surprised

I would be very surprised if you could get a nice house with four beds in the south for less than 250k, detached anyway. I look from time to time and it seems to be mainly three bed semis in not amazing areas for 250k. As expensive as Australia is I'm wondering if it's still better value.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Well be prepared to be surprised
I'm certain that whatever you buy won't hold its value for sure because prices are only going one way in Britain and Australia. It's just all abut time. This isn't a problem for people who don't have a mortgage but could be a problem for big borrowers.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

I agree to a point, just like here many cheaper houses are in not so good areas but of the places we have looked at online it certainly isnt true of all of them by any means.
The Cotswolds is a fantastic area and you would expect to have to pay more there.
The level of unemployment isn't an issue for us.
As I said earlier because of the 250k cut off where you start paying stamp duty we have noticed quite a few places that were say 270k dropping down to the lower price.
You will have no trouble finding a reasonable property under £250,000 in areas of high unemployment and if unemployment isn't an issue then that's great. If it wasn't an issue for us then I would be looking at Devon/Cornwall area. I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of houses in Hampshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire and cannot find a decent sized property for £250,000 and under in a reasonable area. People don't appear to be dropping massive amount on the asking prices and in my opinion there aren't the bargains out there that we are led to believe.

The houses on the street we sold in 2006 are still going for the same price or slightly higher. I wish we didn't have to worry about work as there are some gorgeous properties we could buy in Devon/Cornwall and probably still have a little change out of £250,000!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Almost impossible.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

You will have no trouble finding a reasonable property under £250,000 in areas of high unemployment and if unemployment isn't an issue then that's great. If it wasn't an issue for us then I would be looking at Devon/Cornwall area. I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of houses in Hampshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire and cannot find a decent sized property for £250,000 and under in a reasonable area. People don't appear to be dropping massive amount on the asking prices and in my opinion there aren't the bargains out there that we are led to believe.

The houses on the street we sold in 2006 are still going for the same price or slightly higher. I wish we didn't have to worry about work as there are some gorgeous properties we could buy in Devon/Cornwall and probably still have a little change out of £250,000!
You should wait to buy for a little while because it looks like next year is going to be quite bad for Britain with another possible recession. How house prices have stood up there I have no idea but they surely can't survive anything else!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.