Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many days to recover from jetlag?

How many days to recover from jetlag?

Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

direct2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the rough
Default How many days to recover from jetlag?

Hi. Seems like I'll be off to Bris & have a job lined up.

Before booking my ticket, I wanted to know roughly how many days does it take to recover from jetlag?
I'll be flying from Johannesburg (South Africa) to Brisbane.
No direct flight, so I'll be stopping in Sydney or Melb first and then connecting flight to Brisb.
Flying time 14 to 16 hrs.

I don't have a lot of days and my employer wants me to start asap, so need to plan my trip carefully....will 3 days be enough to recover and start work?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How many days to recover from jetlag?

Coming out to Australia I am good after a decent nights sleep but suffer dreadfully going back to the UK. I know others are the opposite to me though! Sorry, that isn't much help!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kingseat View Post
Coming out to Australia I am good after a decent nights sleep but suffer dreadfully going back to the UK. I know others are the opposite to me though! Sorry, that isn't much help!
I'm the other way worse after the Aus journey and need minimum 2 days. Did try an overnight stop in Singapore once but just resulted in jet lag twice.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You might be one of the lucky ones and not get jetlagged at all - or like me, who took months to unzombify!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:19 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol View Post
You might be one of the lucky ones and not get jetlagged at all - or like me, who took months to unzombify!
I must be so unusual (and lucky) in that I just don't suffer. My trick is to arrive first thing in the morning, force myself to be busy all day so I stay awake till about 10pm, at which point I crash out spectacularly - I have been known to actualy fall asleep and fall off the stool in the pub with no warning! People don't beliebe me till they see how quickly and completely I go!!10 hours sleep, and I'm perfect from then onwards.
I do set my watch to the destination timezone as soon as I get on the first leg of the flight, and then if I sleep on the plane I sleep at the right time for night time at the destination.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You'll fall asleep on that broomstick one day and come a cropper <g>.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
I must be so unusual (and lucky) in that I just don't suffer. My trick is to arrive first thing in the morning, force myself to be busy all day so I stay awake till about 10pm, at which point I crash out spectacularly - I have been known to actualy fall asleep and fall off the stool in the pub with no warning! People don't beliebe me till they see how quickly and completely I go!!10 hours sleep, and I'm perfect from then onwards.
I do set my watch to the destination timezone as soon as I get on the first leg of the flight, and then if I sleep on the plane I sleep at the right time for night time at the destination.
I am quite similar and am also usually OK. The main thing that I try to do is go to bed at a fairly normal time the day I arrive. Let's see how I get on later this week when I start my validaiton trip.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
I am quite similar and am also usually OK. The main thing that I try to do is go to bed at a fairly normal time the day I arrive. Let's see how I get on later this week when I start my validaiton trip.
Have tried the stay up and failed best thing for me is just to sleep when the wall hits and all energy drains after day or two usually fine.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only had it once but I had had a migraine on a flight back and that threw me out. Don't assume you'll get it, don't drink much alcohol on board, drink plenty of water, sort your watch out and sleep on the plane at the right times, don't go to bed until bedtime when you get here. Hopefully you'll be fine.

Four of us in the family and none of us suffer so it's not a given that you'll get it.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:02 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by direct2dubai View Post

Before booking my ticket, I wanted to know roughly how many days does it take to recover from jetlag?
Doc told me it takes one day per hour time difference to recover when you fly ahead of time, like from UK to here or Oz.

8 or 9 hrs time diff between Japan and Britain and yes it usually takes me up to ten days to feel I'm back to normal after arrival at Narita.

Never had jet-lag flying the other way, may have something to do with the fact I'm excited to be there on hols.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:15 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by direct2dubai View Post
Hi. Seems like I'll be off to Bris & have a job lined up.

I'll be flying from Johannesburg (South Africa) to Brisbane.
No direct flight, so I'll be stopping in Sydney or Melb first and then connecting flight to Brisb.
Flying time 14 to 16 hrs.

I don't have a lot of days and my employer wants me to start asap, so need to plan my trip carefully....will 3 days be enough to recover and start work?
Aviation Doctors state recovery time as being 1 day per hour of time difference.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:48 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I find I'm better if I choose flights which arrive early evening wherever I am. Then I can get through customs etc, get over the initial excitement of seeing people and go to bed! I usually wake up in the early hours for a couple of hours, but I do that anyway! Then I usually don't have any problems after that.
The worst time, for me, is to arrive in the morning, then have to stay awake all day. Then it takes days to get over the jetlag.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

It took us all the day after to recover!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:21 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol View Post
You'll fall asleep on that broomstick one day and come a cropper <g>.

Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I follow the same steps as Polly and choose not to get jet lagged. I have been known to be asleep standing up towards the end of an arrival day but am usually OK for work etc the next day - last month I arrived on Sunday morning and was at work on Monday morning just fine. In my youth I have been known to arrive 7am Monday morning and spend the day at work before going home and crashing, not sure that I would like to do that these days though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.