Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many come mortgage free to Aus?

View Poll Results: Have you come mortgage free to Australia?
Yes
44.57%
No
55.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

How many come mortgage free to Aus?

Old Sep 25th 2004, 4:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default How many come mortgage free to Aus?

It seems there is a perception that lots of people emigrating to Aus manage to do this mortgage free.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many actually DO manage to come here mortgage free....and help determine fact from fiction for those wanting to emigrate.

So....how many have bought their Aussie house outright, got the 4 x 4's and boat/jet ski in the drive....all paid for with their UK wealth

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Sep 25th 2004 at 4:21 am.

Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many come mortgage free to Aus?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
It seems there is a perception that lots of people emigrating to Aus manage to do this mortgage free.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many actually DO manage to come here mortgage free....and help determine fact from fiction for those wanting to emigrate.

So....how many have bought their Aussie house outright, got the 4 x 4's and boat/jet ski in the drive....all paid for with their UK wealth
Good one. This one will be interesting. I've voted no. I'm not there yet but unless I live in a tin hut in the bush, I won't be mortgage free
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so who's the sodding 3%
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:35 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by wmoore
Good one. This one will be interesting. I've voted no. I'm not there yet but unless I live in a tin hut in the bush, I won't be mortgage free
Cheers wmoore and Hevs.

I think this will be useful too ....hopefully it will give people the correct understanding as to what life will be like when continued in Aus. I think this will also help some who feel envious to realise we are not all wealthy immigrants able to "flash the cash" when we get here. More like hard working people spending loads to get here and then having to work equally as hard in Aus in order to prove our worth and better our lifestyles

So.....if wmoore aint mortgage free ....and you and me neither Hevs....then who's the 3% then

Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:49 am
Badge

I've a low mortgage which to be honest, I am grateful for - I have gained 10 years probably...

and I won't grass Hevs up..

BM

Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

OK I was no4, still got house in uk but when it sells we will be mortgage free out here when we buy, we are renting at the moment.

Andy
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:59 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by andy thomas
OK I was no4, still got house in uk but when it sells we will be mortgage free out here when we buy, we are renting at the moment.

Andy
Good for you Andy....lucky buggar......all hats off to ya

As a matter of interest, did you sell up from "darn sarf" or from the North of UK?

Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Good for you Andy....lucky buggar......all hats off to ya

As a matter of interest, did you sell up from "darn sarf" or from the North of UK?

we lived in the north about 10 miles north of manchester, you obviously dont recognise my avartar, come on city them gunners are there for the taking today, it all comes down to buying 2 houses that needed doing up then buying a large new house 6 years ago before the recent improvement in house prices. we hope to sell in the spring (feb/mar)

andy
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

we lived in the north about 10 miles north of manchester, you obviously dont recognise my avartar, come on city them gunners are there for the taking today, it all comes down to buying 2 <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=houses&v=55">houses</a> that needed doing up then buying a large new house 6 years ago before the recent improvement in <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=house&v=55">house</a> prices. we hope to sell in the spring (feb/mar)

andy
i would like to know out of interest, how many people rent their homes here in the uk for a year or so and rent in australia?thats what me and my other half are planning on doing for the 'just in case!!!'

does anyone think this is wise or is it best to sell up and ship out as they say?

i would be interested in peoples' recommendations ,ta. in answer to the initial thread; when we do actually sell, we will be very fortunate not to have a mortgage in aus.

debbie x
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:40 am
Phoenixuk2oz

we lived in the north about 10 miles north of manchester, you obviously dont recognise my avartar, come on city them gunners are there for the taking today, it all comes down to buying 2 houses that needed doing up then buying a large new house 6 years ago before the recent improvement in house prices. we hope to sell in the spring (feb/mar)

andy
Ooops didn't recognise the avatar......seems you made some good choices Andy......a "reet handy andy"

Good on yer

Old Sep 25th 2004, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

We are lucky enough to be mortgage free but I would like to qualify that rather quickly by saying that it is NOT the 4x2 that most people want. We have got a nice sized 3 x1 which suits the 3 of us fine.

We haven't got the 4x4 or boat either...we've 2 cars, but both fairly old but at least we can say we own the lot outright....thank god really seeing as it took my old man so long to find a permanent job!!

love sophia xx
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the next year is not a lucrative one, we could buy a house mortgage free, but it would not be in our choice suburbs and size (and I am not even looking for a pool as a must). This is taking into effect that we are heading to Sydney. Yes we are in a lucky position as we will still be in our early 30s.

Even if (for some unknown reason) we did not go to Oz the next house would be a larger house and increase from our relative small mortgage, that is only so because we have chosen to live in an 'Ok' rather than 'dream house' as it has not been worth the cost of moving with Oz in sight
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:25 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Yup not there yet but should be mortgage free

Paul J
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:31 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

We'd hoped to be mortgage free when we started this emigrating lark 18 months ago. Then some bugger moved the goal posts!!

The house prices in our area have gone up 33% in the last year and the exchange rate went down.

Aw well!! We're still better off than we were in the UK ...financially and emotionally.

We've been wondering though, when we drive down the Oceanside road into Hillarys, and we see those fab HUGE houses overlooking the Indian Ocean....what the hell do those people do for a living!! Maybe they're all wealthy poms who are mortgage free!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:53 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya holte,
I know what you are on about. I had a bit of a driving hioliday and there were plenty of big houses on the sunshine coast.

Some very rich people!
It made me wonder what they did for a living?

Bye
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.