Exchange rate has made me postpone or put plans on hold
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

How low can you go?

Old Nov 11th 2003, 10:24 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steandleigh
The change in rates is not enough to alter our plans, we aren't going, to be better off, but for a change of life.

Having said that, we will probably have less to purchase a house with, when the money is exchanged, a pity, but that's life.

Ultimately, a strong aussie economy is what's important for our kids future's.
I agree with you, obviously the exchange rate was dropping while we were waiting and we had to adjust to that. There was never any question of the exchange rate affecting our decicion to move to OZ but we were lucky enough to have a 2.45 exchange rate.

I don't profess to have any idea of how low the rate will get before or even if it will ever, creep back up to something like 2.5, but reading some posts it would seem that many families are putting their life savings into this, selling homes etc and it interested me to know if there would be a financial cut off point for some people. Obviously at the moment the poll is showing that the majority of voters are concerned but still plan to go.

The world needs optimism, otherwise we would probably never do anything. I raise my glass to all you adventurers out there
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

7 years ago when I returned from Oz I considered keeping my bank account open, and sending money over peroidically, but never got down to organising it.
I am sooo kicking myself now!!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I agree with you, obviously the exchange rate was dropping while we were waiting and we had to adjust to that. There was never any question of the exchange rate affecting our decicion to move to OZ but we were lucky enough to have a 2.45 exchange rate.

I don't profess to have any idea of how low the rate will get before or even if it will ever, creep back up to something like 2.5, but reading some posts it would seem that many families are putting their life savings into this, selling homes etc and it interested me to know if there would be a financial cut off point for some people. Obviously at the moment the poll is showing that the majority of voters are concerned but still plan to go.

The world needs optimism, otherwise we would probably never do anything. I raise my glass to all you adventurers out there
I suppose, just to look on the bright side, that people could have been contemplating the move in 1980 when they would have got $1.33 or 1994 when they would have got $2.09! $2.33 - great. Yes, I know it was over $3.00 not so long ago and $2.50 recently. My point though is that millions have migrated, successfully, with much lower rates than those prevailing today.

OzTennis
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

We haven't got loads anyway. We might just keep what we have over here and wait a few years.
It will probably make us get off our arses quicker to work too!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

saying that, we're going over to escape the rat race work till you drop ethic! Boo Hoo!!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Barbara 2003
saying that, we're going over to escape the rat race work till you drop ethic! Boo Hoo!!
That's not to say Barbara that you won't find the rat race in Oz. It does exist, in some places and with some people. Just don't get caught up in it if you want to avoid it.

OzTennis
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:28 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
I suppose, just to look on the bright side, that people could have been contemplating the move in 1980 when they would have got $1.33 or 1994 when they would have got $2.09! $2.33 - great. Yes, I know it was over $3.00 not so long ago and $2.50 recently. My point though is that millions have migrated, successfully, with much lower rates than those prevailing today.

OzTennis
I suppose everything is based on what you are used to and what your expectations are. Therefore if the exchange rate was £1 -$1.33 in 1980, that would have been the 'norm' at that time. I think if it was $1.33 that would seriously impact on peoples current decision to migrate to OZ.

Some, not all, will be relying on the nest egg they are taking with them to give them a boost, in the start to their life in their new country.

I expect some posters will still say they would go to OZ whatever the exchange rate. I don't think we would have come over at $1.33
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I suppose everything is based on what you are used to and what your expectations are. Therefore if the exchange rate was £1 -$1.33 in 1980, that would have been the 'norm' at that time. I think if it was $1.33 that would seriously impact on peoples current decision to migrate to OZ.

Some, not all, will be relying on the nest egg they are taking with them to give them a boost, in the start to their life in their new country.

I expect some posters will still say they would go to OZ whatever the exchange rate. I don't think we would have come over at $1.33
Yep, agree totally. Co-incidentally we moved to the UK at $1.33 so we were pleased that was the rate ie our $'s were worth £0.75 (rather than £0.43 now).

OzTennis