Exchange rate has made me postpone or put plans on hold
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

How low can you go?

Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:30 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy How low can you go?

The increasing strength of the AUD will create a huge financial loss for many migrants.

What exchange rate would the move to OZ become untenable for you and your family. Do you need to consider postponing your move and just validate or is it making you re-think the whole thing?

Maybe you weren't bringing over a lot of money and you don't feel you will seriously be affected, maybe you are bringing over so much money you won't notice this 'little blip'.

Maybe you don't think it will go much lower, maybe you have your fingers, toes and eyes crossed that by the time its your turn it will be a better exchange rate?

Maybe you have an idea of an exchange rate that will just make you put the migration on hold, or stop it in its tracks.

There is a lot of debate about how low the exchange rate will go, but how low is too low for you to go?
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:41 am
owieb

Default Re: How low can you go?

Originally posted by Jirrupin
The increasing strength of the AUD will create a huge financial loss for many migrants.

What exchange rate would the move to OZ become untenable for you and your family. Do you need to consider postponing your move and just validate or is it making you re-think the whole thing?

Maybe you weren't bringing over a lot of money and you don't feel you will seriously be affected, maybe you are bringing over so much money you won't notice this 'little blip'.

Maybe you don't think it will go much lower, maybe you have your fingers, toes and eyes crossed that by the time its your turn it will be a better exchange rate?

Maybe you have an idea of an exchange rate that will just make you put the migration on hold, or stop it in its tracks.

There is a lot of debate about how low the exchange rate will go, but how low is too low for you to go?
I'm already here but I get paid in £ so I thought I should vote!

I was seriously thinking about maybe cutting back my UK work and taking more Perth work as I am losing quite a bit of cash on the exchange rates at the moment, but then I'd have to probably go back and work in an office! :scared:

Even if it does keep dropping I'm not going to change my plans, I'd missing going out and playing during the day too much!

Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is if its going to make things going back much cheaper?!?! At the rate its going (pun intended), flights back to the UK, holidays, car hire while there etc should be dirt cheap soon for those of us living here in Australia. Then it will be alot cheaper for us to take those long awaited trips back to the UK (& to other destinations for those that complain about the price of overseas holidays each year).

Hold on look out, here comes that flying pig again .
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Ive posted this before and not many seemed to understand it, however if you are moving to OZ long term shouldn't you want the OZ dollar strong?

So it causes a bit of a blip in the funds you bring over but what about the next 30 odd years in OZ income If your dedicated to living here long term you should be happy about rising dollar.

OK I'll go now
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Go Aussie Dollar Go!!!

Great for interest on all my millions!! Ha ha

Not being up to date on business thingys, does a strong dollar have a negative effect on exports and tourism?

Di
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:46 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Ive posted this before and not many seemed to understand it, however if you are moving to OZ long term shouldn't you want the OZ dollar strong?

So it causes a bit of a blip in the funds you bring over but what about the next 30 odd years in OZ income If your dedicated to living here long term you should be happy about rising dollar.

OK I'll go now
I agree with you Dotty, but as you know when your in the UK, you are a sterling thinker/earner, and the lifestyle you wish for in OZ can be based largely upon the strength of the money you bring over.

Its only when you convert to being a AUD thinker/earner that you can see the benefits of a strong dollar.

But does the strong dollar mean a loaf of bread is cheaper???

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 12th 2003 at 4:50 am.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Go Aussie Dollar Go!!!

Great for interest on all my millions!! Ha ha

Not being up to date on business thingys, does a strong dollar have a negative effect on exports and tourism?

Di

Exports, yes a high aussie dollar is bad for OZ. Interest rates IMO wont go that high, because each hike puts upwards pressure on the dollar which hurts OZ exports. And Exporting is big time bread and butter to OZ. What people dont understand is interest rates are not just about housing, people think that because thats what affects them. OZ has to watch what it does with rate rises for other factors too, Exports being the big one. You know all that wheat and sheep OZ has the government knows damn well we need to sell it.

Tourism, I imagine tourists still come here, maybe they spend less tho.

The dollar has just been undervalued for a long time tho, where it is now is probably more realistic but its a volatile currency. I think the main problem for immigrants is they just assumed that because they liked $2.95 that it would stay that way, unfortunately that was not really realistic. Fact is doubling your money is probably good unless you compare it to yesterdays news.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

But does the strong dollar mean a loaf of bread is cheaper???
It should mean lots of things like Petrol get cheaper, which means transport gets cheaper which means in a huge country like OZ everything should get cheaper. However Pigs will fly

Dotty For PM cheap everything party
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I know I will get slagged and am evil and selfish, but somehow can't feel terribly sympathetic about this........

When we emigrated from South Africa to the UK the exchange rate was 14-1. Try that for complete decimation of your life savings !

Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How low can you go?

Maybe you weren't bringing over a lot of money and you don't feel you will seriously be affected,

Ok, I'm not in the UK, but if I was.....this would apply for us.

And of course what Dotty said, about wanting to the Aussie dollar to be strong, yes!

The thing is, we're not moving to Oz for financial reasons, we aren't going to be better of financially, and that thought has never even crossed our minds!
We're just going for something different, and a bit of an adventure! All we need is some savings for the move, and a bit for if we don't find a job quickly, which we have, so we'll be fine.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:17 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

The ER is down AGAIN for us folks crying in our cornflakes, but it might have topped out for AUD...hopefully -

http://www.dailyfx.com/currency_aud_thomson.html
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

OK I'll go now
Yep, swings and roundabouts and some clouds can have a silver lining. For example, we are in the UK and when the exchange rate was around £1 = $2 it was widely predicted that the Australian dollar would weaken. We decided to save our £'s in our Australian bank account to take advantage of the exchange rate (rather than save in £'s here). As a result, since 1997 we have averaged an exchange rate of around $2.70 on all our transfers. So, we have some ''dosh' salted away for our move back to Oz; alternatively, if the ER fell as predicted to $2.20 we could change back to £'s and make a gain of nearly 25%. It won't be good news for transferring house sale proceeds or pensions admittedly.

Obviously it is difficult for those transfer their dosh now or in the next 12 months but as Dotty and others have said a stronger dollar can be good news longer term.

More gloom for the ER on the news last night - the UK trade deficit for Oct was much larger than expected at £4.38 BN. Keep buying that Branston Pickle and Marmite you expats in Oz

OzTennis
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:50 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We were doing our sums with 2.3 anyway....as a worst case scenario. Also, we are young and don't have a huge amount of money, so the net effect upon us has been pretty low. Regardless, we are'nt moving to aus for financial reasons, just family ones.

If we owned a house, and had a stack of equity, it **might** have been a different story. Our dream is to one day own a cute little cottage in Devon (for retirement), so if we had a load of cash we would have just done that sooner
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
We were doing our sums with 2.3 anyway....as a worst case scenario. Also, we are young and don't have a huge amount of money, so the net effect upon us has been pretty low. Regardless, we are'nt moving to aus for financial reasons, just family ones.

If we owned a house, and had a stack of equity, it **might** have been a different story. Our dream is to one day own a cute little cottage in Devon (for retirement), so if we had a load of cash we would have just done that sooner
Nice dream to aim for 'Don't dream it's over' (where'd I get that?)

OzTennis
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The change in rates is not enough to alter our plans, we aren't going, to be better off, but for a change of life.

Having said that, we will probably have less to purchase a house with, when the money is exchanged, a pity, but that's life.

Ultimately, a strong aussie economy is what's important for our kids future's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.