Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long is your trip to work (CBD) each day... (Cairns & Maroochydore)

How long is your trip to work (CBD) each day... (Cairns & Maroochydore)

Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:49 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default How long is your trip to work (CBD) each day... (Cairns & Maroochydore)

I'm wondering how long your trip to work in the morning is. I will end up in working in Cairns or Maroochydore CBD due to my job (Quantity Surveyor) and am wondering how far out I should be looking at houses from the centre.

I currently do 1 hour door to door at the moment in London.

Thanks, Shaun
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Re: How long is your trip to work (CBD) each day... (Cairns & Maroochydore)

I couldn't give you any advice on commute but would say you should pick maroochydore if you can.....it's a fab place!!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:22 am
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long is your trip to work (CBD) each day... (Cairns & Maroochydore)

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
I'm wondering how long your trip to work in the morning is. I will end up in working in Cairns or Maroochydore CBD due to my job (Quantity Surveyor) and am wondering how far out I should be looking at houses from the centre.

Thanks, Shaun

Forget Cairns, Maroochydore is much better!!!!

I currently live in Maroochydore and it's a nice place. If you are working in Maroochydore you could quite easily find a house within 10 minutes drive. There is lots of residential areas surrounding Maroochydore so I am sure that you will easily cut down your commute dramatically. Have a look on www.realestate.com.au and do a search. If you search maroochydore and surrounding suburbs it will show you quite a lot of houses.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Shaun
I live 20min away from Maroochydore. A lovely drive down the front to get to work.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:46 am
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I live 20min away from Maroochydore. A lovely drive down the front to get to work.

20 minutes! It only takes me 15 min to get from sippy downs to Maroochydore and thats a lot further
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:50 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

hi i'm in cairns moved here 2 months ago.....been looking at houses on the north beaches which are gorgeous....you walk to the beach, gorgeous scenary of rainforests.....n it only takes 15-20mins to get to centre....i also did a 90min drive to work in the uk so this is great!!!

katy
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Shaun
Home to office in Cairns CBD
Bicycle:12 mins
Scooter:15 mins
Car: 20 mins

The Cairns office of rh doesnt have the view of Maroochydore at least car parking is not an issue.

WW
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbex85
20 minutes! It only takes me 15 min to get from sippy downs to Maroochydore and thats a lot further
5 of them is getting off our estate.haha.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:14 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

What's so good about Maroochydore in your opinion? Just curious to know what you see the plus points as. I've been to both Cairns & Maroocy before but can't decide where to go. I suppose pay/salary might influence me if there is a lot of difference which i am trying to find out at the moment.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

What's so good about Maroochydore in your opinion? Just curious to know what you see the plus points as. I've been to both Cairns & Maroocy before but can't decide where to go. I suppose pay/salary might influence me if there is a lot of difference which i am trying to find out at the moment.
We havent been to cairns, so cant give you a full comparison unfortunately. I could say its a fast growing area but Cairns maybe too.

We settled here for the schools really.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:19 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

Maroochydore is much closer to Brisbane and sydney if you wanted to drive. Cairns is nice but its a very long way to anything not in north Queensland. and so much more humid.

Not much likelyhood of seeing some local crocodiles in Maroochydore as their is in Cairns. plus swimming at the beaches is nicer in M as no stingers and lots of waves.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Workwise I would say Maroochydore must be better. There is so much expansion going on here there must be loads of jobs going.

Also you could commute to Brisbane (I wouldn't though) if you really wanted more money as the wages here on the coast are pretty low, I'd say the wages would also be low in Cairns though compared to the cities
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Takes me 20 minutes to Cairns CBD.

I'm a few km farther out than WW but his burb has no easy access to the main road so he waives as I go by every day

Normal time to cross from one end of Cairns to the other is about 1 hour.
Travelling about 30 mins in any direction from the CBD would capture most of Cairns burbs.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Takes me 20 minutes to Cairns CBD.

I'm a few km farther out than WW but his burb has no easy access to the main road so he waives as I go by every day .
Must take me at least a week to get out of the suburb because of all those Westies blocking the road. If only those drivers realised that a laid back lifestyle doesnt mean driving at 5kph

WW