Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long would it take you to drive to CBD from here...

How long would it take you to drive to CBD from here...

Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default How long would it take you to drive to Melbourne CBD from here...

Hi

I have always stayed to the west of Melbourne, mainly Williamstown and East Keilor. At this stage, we have no idea where we gonna move to (if we move!) but I would love to give the east a go.

So I searched for a few Colleges for our daughter and 3 of them are near these towns I mentioned below (north east and east).

To be honest, I don't care how long it takes me to the city as I wont be working there but remotely from my home office (being a software engineer and will work remotely from home for overseas company). Plus I'm a biker too :P

But my wife might, depends where she finds a job. People say traffic has become worse, well surely not where I come from, as to drive 5km it will take you 1hr....literally (one of the most densely populated counties in Europe)

Are the below rough estimates close if you drive by car on a normal day? Is that rush hour or at night?

So google says:

Eltham to CBD about 40 mins
Vermont South to CBD about 35 mins
Noble Park to CBD around 45 mins

Cheers

Last edited by B1K3R; Jan 27th 2017 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long would it take you to drive to CBD from here...

Eltham is around 40 mins to CBD by car although at rush hour I would easily add 10-20 minutes on to that time unless you leave Eltham by 6.30 ish. We live just down the road in Yallambie and hubby commutes by train x No idea on the other two suburbs. There is a good FB group called Poms Living in Victoria that might be worth asking in x
Old Jan 28th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Thank you
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long would it take you to drive to Melbourne CBD from here...

I would not put Eltham, Vermont and Noble Park in the same category for "liveability".
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would not put Eltham, Vermont and Noble Park in the same category for "liveability".

Hey

Can you expand on what you meant by "liveability" please?

To be honest, I have no idea of the areas as I mostly lived in Williamstown, East Keilor and worked in the city. Then we used to go to the west and east coast/sea shores on the weekends.

I mentioned those 3 as there are co-educational colleges which ticked the boxes for our daughter close by those towns.

If the RRV goes through (fingers crossed), we will be doing a recce to check out all the schools and towns close by.

PS: I'm using these reviews to check towns, wonder if they are biased or accurate...
https://www.homely.com.au/eltham-nil...eater-victoria

Thanks

Last edited by B1K3R; Jan 29th 2017 at 10:29 am.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long would it take you to drive to Melbourne CBD from here...

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hey

Can you expand on what you meant by "liveability" please?
Sure. Eltham is lovely, Vermont is nice, Noble Park not so much.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Good to know, thank you!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere you can catch a train or tram makes using a car/bike totally redundant into the city. Trains are quicker but even the trams into the city are pretty quick.
Both Eltham and Vermont are about 30-35 mins on the train. I've heard Noble Park isn't great as a suburb.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by denzil73
Anywhere you can catch a train or tram makes using a car/bike totally redundant into the city. Trains are quicker but even the trams into the city are pretty quick.
Both Eltham and Vermont are about 30-35 mins on the train. I've heard Noble Park isn't great as a suburb.
30 35 minutes is perfect
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Vermont is tough to find rentals in these days because everyone and their dog is trying to get into the high school.

Train vs car is dependent on suburb I guess. The days I'm working in town, taking a train and then tram from the outer east to Fitzroy takes about an hour. I could probably drive there in half the time, but there's no decent parking (ie affordable or doesn't require you to move the car every 2 hours), so public transport it is.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Japonica
Agree. Vermont is tough to find rentals in these days because everyone and their dog is trying to get into the high school.

Train vs car is dependent on suburb I guess. The days I'm working in town, taking a train and then tram from the outer east to Fitzroy takes about an hour. I could probably drive there in half the time, but there's no decent parking (ie affordable or doesn't require you to move the car every 2 hours), so public transport it is.

Good points, thanks. I'm also checking other towns near Eltham like Warrandyte and Hurstbridge...they seem nice too! We like a friendly community feeling which has lots of open space/green but yet you can find most stuff and not super far away from CBD. These areas look very nice, though never been up there myself.

However I am noticing that there seems to be a lack of house rentals in these areas too...
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Good points, thanks. I'm also checking other towns near Eltham like Warrandyte and Hurstbridge...they seem nice too! We like a friendly community feeling which has lots of open space/green but yet you can find most stuff and not super far away from CBD. These areas look very nice, though never been up there myself.

However I am noticing that there seems to be a lack of house rentals in these areas too...
I have to laugh as I just said that driving wasn't as bad as the train and then today only I had to drive from Maribyrnong to Ringwood in peak hours. I normally don't go anywhere near the East Link around 5:30pm. Now I remember why There's sections where we were doing 40.

If you're looking at Warrandyte, check out Warranwood, Ringwood North, Ringwood etc. Leafy, green, easy access to the East Link and CBD, but yes, rentals are sometimes hard to find these days. When we came out two years ago, we were originally looking around Doncaster, Mont Albert, Blackburn, but couldn't find anything suitable at that time in our budget, so we ended up in Ringwood. It's not that bad and I like the proximity to the Yarra Valley. Good luck with your search.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Japonica
I have to laugh as I just said that driving wasn't as bad as the train and then today only I had to drive from Maribyrnong to Ringwood in peak hours. I normally don't go anywhere near the East Link around 5:30pm. Now I remember why There's sections where we were doing 40.

If you're looking at Warrandyte, check out Warranwood, Ringwood North, Ringwood etc. Leafy, green, easy access to the East Link and CBD, but yes, rentals are sometimes hard to find these days. When we came out two years ago, we were originally looking around Doncaster, Mont Albert, Blackburn, but couldn't find anything suitable at that time in our budget, so we ended up in Ringwood. It's not that bad and I like the proximity to the Yarra Valley. Good luck with your search.
Thank you!