Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long and why?

how long and why?

Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice
Smile how long and why?

hi
just wondering how long people had been contemplating leaving the uk and why, we have been mulling it over for about 10 years and have decided to go because we know have 2 children and feel the uk offers them nothing for their long term future.
Beth and Neil.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: how long and why?

For me it's not so much a desire to leave the UK - I actually quite like it here - it's more about wanting to try it somewhere else.
Life is only a series of experiences and the more expreiences you have the more you'll get out of life
I'm 32, live with my partner but don't have kids. I've been wanting to move to Oz for probably six or seven years but I guess circumstances have meant that it's never been quite the right time.
It is now though
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: how long and why?

there's another thread on here from a while ago about defining moments, as in when you finally made that decision ... my husband and I have discussed it a few times over the last 7+ years but his family were always too much of a pull ... that hasn't changed but now we have our own family our priorities have changed - they are what we have influence on and we hope to make their life better! Some would say grandparents are of value, and I agree, but by moving we hope to spend more time as a family instead of my husband working 70+ hrs a week - that's totally un-measureable!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:26 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethandneil
hi
just wondering how long people had been contemplating leaving the uk and why, we have been mulling it over for about 10 years and have decided to go because we know have 2 children and feel the uk offers them nothing for their long term future.
Beth and Neil.
Thought about it for a few years too, but was'nt until OH lost his job at MG Rover last year so that we decided to do something about!!! We are also concerned about our childrens long term future or lack of it!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

hi
Beth and Neil.
Hiya Beth and Neil,

My OH used to live on Oz when he was a kid and has some great memories, so I suppose there has always been some pull on him to return. We have been thinking for probably 2 years about making a permanent move out there. My husband had a 3 week trip there last year and decided that we would all love it - although I must say that we definitely do not have rose tinted specs on. He found the cost of living about the same but the wages a lot lower. It all depends on what you want out of life.
It has probably taken us this long to decide as we are worried about leaving our comfort zone - we have ok jobs here which are pretty secure in this climate, the kids are at a great school and we have supportive family and friends. I also love England but would just like to experience living elsewhere and we also have close relatives in Oz which makes it a bit easier. Who knows, we may return to the UK one day but at least we will have tried it.
We have two quite young children who I think could stand the upheaval and also feel that it would be a great life experience for them too and I must say that I worry about them being teenagers in this country.

All the best

Jo
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:15 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

hi, we have been thinking about it for over 10 years(always have been a bit of a last minute person!!!! )

Nearly all of the reasons already mentioned are our reasons too. I think sometimes it's just when it feels the right time to go for it!!!

xRachx
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:18 pm
fingers crossed

heading south is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
Beth and Neil.
Beth/Neil

How long? I guess we've been thinking about it for the last three to four years. We sorted out our skills assessments along the way, but we only got really organised and submitted our visa application in May 2005. At one point (I forget when exactly) they increased the pass mark for the 136 to 120, which caused a bit of a rethink as we hunted for our best option for the now elusive five points. We finally got ourselves organised as we approached our 'age' deadline, as we'd then definitely have to consider, other, less flexible, visa options. That concentrated our minds (as we both fancied the freedom of living and working wherever we pleased when to got there), especially my as my OH felt we should have used an agent from the start and I was potentially going to blow our 'last' chance and if we had of hired one then it would have been bloody sorted by now.

Why? Not really too sure. We moved to the North East around 14 years ago from other parts of the UK, when I got a job up here. We only expected to be in Geordie-land a couple of years. I lived and worked out in the States for over a year in 1999/2000 on a work secondment and we toyed with moving there, but didn't. We love it in the North East and couldn't think where else in the UK we'd like to live, so we thought we'd head to Australia for a few years and see how that goes. Once you've moved around a couple of times and gone through 'the make new friends where you live now' phases in new places, it's no great hassle to do it again; so why not do it again, I guess.

All the best

Heading South (we think)