Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long where your children out of school?

View Poll Results: How long where your children out of school?
1 week
2.08%
2 weeks
14.58%
3 weeks
10.42%
4 weeks
10.42%
5 weeks
10.42%
6 weeks
10.42%
or longer !
41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How long where your children out of school?

Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long where your children out of school?

Hi everyone

Just wondering how long your little (or big) darlings where out of school in total from UK to starting new school in Oz?

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long where your children out of school?

Couple of weeks. He was bored shitless of adult company by then and needed some playmates.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
Hi everyone

Just wondering how long your little (or big) darlings where out of school in total from UK to starting new school in Oz?

Cheers
It was just over six weeks as we packed up in the UK in the last week of November and they didnt start the new school term here until 23rd January. Timing was great though as we struggled to find a rental at first and wouldnt have liked to have been pressured into taking one just because the kids had to get into a school quickly. It was also nice to have family time together as both me and hubby have always worked.

Julia
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We had to move away from school area to stay with my parents for a couple of weeks before flying in July. Then we gave her another couple of weeks to make up for missing school holidays and to help her settle in. By that time she was ready for her new school and keen to get started.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:19 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Kids finished school at the end of the Summer term in the UK. We arrived in Australia on 13th September but took our time choosing where to settle and they eventually started school mid way through November. Nearly 4 months off! Can't say it did them any harm. And we were right to take our time as ten months later we bought our own house ten minutes down the road.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was asking to go to school but we didn't know where we would end up. Luckily we found a rental in the area where we wanted to be within a week but wanted to make sure he wasn't 'pushed into' leaving us too soon after arriving. I think he was bored sh**less of our company and shopping!! as there is alot of that to do when you move in somewhere.
S xx
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

We arrived at the end of June 04 and the girls started school after the winter holidays finished in July. It was around 3 to 4 weeks off in total and they definately needed that time to be with us and to begin the adjustment that we all had to go through. It was the longest period of time that we have had together as a family unit and was very precious.
They were nervous about starting school here but we were very lucky to get them both into very good schools and they very quickly made new friends and joined clubs etc.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Finished UK school on the 17th November and started Aus school on the 22nd January. Bored sh*tless and no friends, added to the fact that first born didn't want to leave the UK and so was as miserable as hell. Thank god those days are long gone.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
Hi everyone

Cheers
Lovely, we got here the day school broke up for xmas hols.
7 weeks of harmony
No the kids where just fed up with each others company.
Denise
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:08 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Hiya I am glad this thread has been started, as we are in this dilemma, I want my kids to finish this year in school and come out Aug/Sept but do we then put them into school when it is so near to the Oz end of year or do we enrol them for the next year and give them more time to adjust
I suppose 8 weeks is a long time out of school.
Sarahx
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hiya I am glad this thread has been started, as we are in this dilemma, I want my kids to finish this year in school and come out Aug/Sept but do we then put them into school when it is so near to the Oz end of year or do we enrol them for the next year and give them more time to adjust
I suppose 8 weeks is a long time out of school.
Sarahx
We got here on November 6th and our daughter started school one week later. She was only in for a few weeks then school finished for the Christmas break but I would definitely recommend it. Those few weeks in school meant she had made friends and was not left till the end of January with nobody to play with. If you come over in Sept and dont let yours start school it will be the end of Jan before they get to go to school, thats a long time.
Tracie
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

knoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really nice

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We got here on November 6th and our daughter started school one week later. She was only in for a few weeks then school finished for the Christmas break but I would definitely recommend it. Those few weeks in school meant she had made friends and was not left till the end of January with nobody to play with. If you come over in Sept and dont let yours start school it will be the end of Jan before they get to go to school, thats a long time.
Tracie
Hi Tracie

We are Gill/Frank Niamh(8) Luke(2) we're hoping to come Nov as well and were just discussing schooling for our daughter didnt know what was the best thing to do re schools but what you have done gives another option we hadn't considered.
I will be working in Joondalup Hospital and we're looking @ surrounding suburbs
If you have any info re schools it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gill&Frank
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:05 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
If you do arrrive end Aug / Sept you will be here midway through term 3 (of a 4 term school year, finishing December). Definitely get the kids in school so they can start making friends and have playmates to keep them occupied over the long summer / Christmas hols. Term 4 starts midway through October so they should have had plenty of time to adjust if you leave it until then in my opinion.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:09 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Hiya

thanks for the replies, you are right we will do that .

Sarahx
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:09 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Finished UK school on the 17th November and started Aus school on the 22nd January. Bored sh*tless and no friends, added to the fact that first born didn't want to leave the UK and so was as miserable as hell. Thank god those days are long gone.
One of the reasons we chose not to go over the end of the year. Ours will be off one week.......before they start school. Less distruption for them is less stress for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.