Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long until husband can start his own business?

How long until husband can start his own business?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road
Default How long until husband can start his own business?

We are hoping to go out on a PR visa. I was watching 'Wanted down under' yesterday and it said that the guy who was a chef had to wait 2 years before opening his own business, which he does in the UK? Is that because they were going out on a temp visa, it didnt actually say.

Would my husband be able to start his own roofing business if we got out on a PR visa more or less straight away, or does anyone know if there are restrictions on this?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:10 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: How long until husband can start his own business?

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
We are hoping to go out on a PR visa. I was watching 'Wanted down under' yesterday and it said that the guy who was a chef had to wait 2 years before opening his own business, which he does in the UK? Is that because they were going out on a temp visa, it didnt actually say.

Would my husband be able to start his own roofing business if we got out on a PR visa more or less straight away, or does anyone know if there are restrictions on this?
Yeah wondered what was going on with that yesterday. I'm pretty sure that he was going on a temp employer sponsored visa (looked too old to get enough points for PR to me).

Allan
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Originally Posted by allankate
Yeah wondered what was going on with that yesterday. I'm pretty sure that he was going on a temp employer sponsored visa (looked too old to get enough points for PR to me).

Allan
hi there i also watched the programme and wondered why he couldnt open his own buisness? and i bet many others have been wondering what the situation is.
i have read posts on here about people setting up buisness soon as they arrive and have the right liscences,so correct me if im wrong but it must depend on what visa your on .
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

What really gets me about the program this time, is everyone seems to winge on about things. Have they not done any homework on the place? Prices to high, jobs not right, things better in the UK. What I would give to have been on the TV and got the guarantee of a job straight away is no ones business. The only one I have really enjoyed is the young mother with the two boys who worked in the ICU unit and she was positve about everything.

Everyone else seems to have gone for a free holiday! Cannot quite understand the couple - she was alot younger than her husband, he was retired and she may move down under and he may stay at home! Lets get real here. What sort of situation is that???? Mind boggling.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

As far as im aware, I am going out on a 136 skilled independent (trade visa) and I cant set up a business for two years. If you want to set up a business you have to apply for a business visa and not the trade one
Lee
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:41 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
As far as im aware, I am going out on a 136 skilled independent (trade visa) and I cant set up a business for two years. If you want to set up a business you have to apply for a business visa and not the trade one
Lee
Hello Everyone,

Just stumbled on your discussion. Yes it sounds as though the person in question had a 457 visa sponsored by an employer - in such a circumstance you can't work for anyone else, even yourself.

But Lee, there is no such restriction on a 136 or any other general skilled migration visa (except that some people going on the old 495 SIR visa or the new 475 visa may find it difficult to prove they were working full-time when applying for the PR stage).

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:49 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a bloke interviewed on one of the Cairns programmes last week who had started up his own business within a few months as a graphic designer. Then this week WDU said you cant

They should really stop trying to confuse us all.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. They have gone out, or going out on different types of visas, but wouldnt you think that WDU would explain which ones they are going on? Very confusing for people.

I must admit I am not enjoying this series. Too many people living what seems to be the good life here and want to have exactly the same life to start with out there. The chef wanted top dog job in the restaurant, didnt want to downgrade, dont know what the employees in the restaurant would have thought of that?? One guy the other day was Manager of his dad's business and wasnt happy to start at the bottom in Oz!! They are being offered the jobs and sponsorships, but want to be in the prime position straight away - just doesnt work.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:32 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your on a sponsorship visa of some description and must remain with a particular employer you can do whatever you like when you land.

So a skilled independent visa for say, a chef, means you can arrive and set up your business as a dog groomer and never set foot in the kitchen again.

Or in my case, I came on skilled independent as a Senior Manager. Now I'm a sports massage therapist with my own business and will never work in management.

Don't know where this 2 year rubbish came from.