Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long till the kids need to enrol in school

How long till the kids need to enrol in school

Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:23 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long till the kids need to enrol in school

Hiya

Does anybody know how long, after you get to Aussie, you have before you need to enrol the kids in school?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Good question Biggy I would also be interested in the answer to this.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMP
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Yes please i would like to now as well.

We have 2 kids age 8 and 6 years old and would love to now

Thank you

Ann Marie
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:09 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm yet another one who'd like to know this. Good question.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too! I have 3, 4 and 7 year olds.

Phil.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:31 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Bounce
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:58 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long till the kids need to enrol in school

Originally posted by biggy
Hiya

Does anybody know how long, after you get to Aussie, you have before you need to enrol the kids in school?

can't give you a definate answer but will give you my opinion.

Firstly, I suppose it depends on how long you are happy to keep your children out of school for. We don't plan on rushing ours into school as both of them are doing really well at school and as we plan on going out just after Easter they will miss the big 6 week school hols (already had that in Oz and won't be here for the uk one).

Also, until you know where you are staying it will be difficult to know which schools catchment area you fall into.

Finally, unless you actually tell anyone who's to know that you aren't just tourists. And if someone does ask you could just tell them you are validating your visa.

Sally
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Australia is slowly coming on line, (it's 8am now).

I dont know ! However, i wouldn't panic about needing to get in to a school within days of arriving

When we asked our teacher if it would be OK to take our 7 year old on an oversesas holiday during term time, we were told that it was not a problem, as they learn so much in a new location anyway.

From what I have seen in QLD, you can register your child at any local state school, and they can start the same day.

Someone with more knowledge may give a better answer later, but at elast its bumped back upo again.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the fact that in most cases it will not be a problem for children to miss some schooling and I know the NSW authorities will not come after you for a while 6/8 weeks and even then they have to find you first so can be much longer! One of the accepted reasons is immigration to the country while you sort out which schools the children will be attending. If coming on temp visas it can take over 8 weeks to get children into school because of payment issues in NSW.

If you plan to be off more than this then I would consider contacting the local authority and registering for home schooling - they have a really good set up here and I know of two cases with children moving between areas where parent kept the children off school for over 6/9 months via home schooling programmes.

Consideration must be given to time out of school when children are in years 9/10/11/12 - as part of the school certificates is attendance in classes and they must not miss more than 20% over this and they will fail on this basis alone.

This is only my experience - the schools my children attend request you do not take the children out of school for more than 10 days in any one year - but that obviously only applies after they start.

Have fun
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

We kept our children off for 8 weeks, long enough for the 2 of them to spend together!!! 12 and 14 at the time boys!!
We rented up north for the eight weeks as we had brought a house down south didn't start school until the week we moved in.

If you know you will be renting and buying in the same area then getting them settled at school shouldn't be a problem,

It's such a big move, don't rush them,

good luck
yve