British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long to rent furnished house for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-rent-furnished-house-277906/)

alrobson Jan 16th 2005 4:38 pm

How long to rent furnished house for?

I'm looking into booking a furnished rental in Perth, and was wondering how long people booked them for during the intitial few weeks? I was thinking 3 weeks, but obviously I need to have secured an unfurnished rental in that time. Is that a realistic thing to achieve?

I suppose worst case scenario is that I have to head for a hotel if I haven't found one, but I don't want to be staying in a furnished place any longer that I have to really.

What people's experiences at rental furnished and then unfurnished regarding timescales?

Thanks,

Adrian

Jacko1 Jan 16th 2005 11:17 pm

Re: How long to rent furnished house for?

Originally Posted by alrobson
I'm looking into booking a furnished rental in Perth, and was wondering how long people booked them for during the intitial few weeks? I was thinking 3 weeks, but obviously I need to have secured an unfurnished rental in that time. Is that a realistic thing to achieve?

I suppose worst case scenario is that I have to head for a hotel if I haven't found one, but I don't want to be staying in a furnished place any longer that I have to really.

What people's experiences at rental furnished and then unfurnished regarding timescales?

Thanks,

Adrian

We rented initial "furnished" place for four weeks, and in hindsight, should have made that six.
All the stuff takes ages to do(we do have two small children as well) and rentals are not that easy to find and secure (IMO)

Paul J

4lex Jan 17th 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Jacko1
We rented initial "furnished" place for four weeks, and in hindsight, should have made that six.
All the stuff takes ages to do(we do have two small children as well) and rentals are not that easy to find and secure (IMO)

Paul J

We didn't rent one at all. It took two (long and arduous) days to check out a dozen or so unfurnished apartments, sort all the paperwork and get the keys.

letsgoperth.com.au Jan 24th 2005 11:32 pm

When we arrived we rented for 2 weeks, sorted out our admin, and looked for unfurnished to coincide with furniture being delivered.
If you are interested in renting we have a furnished house near Quinns ( Northern Subs) for rent ...check out letsgoperth.com

Any questions feel free to ask. :D

Wol Jan 25th 2005 5:40 am

It's all negotiable but unfurnished usually wants six months. Furnished can be "Holiday" lets, which tend to be by the night and quite expensive, or "Long term lets" which ARE negotiable.

If you're only talking about a couple of weeks quite honestly you'd be as well just lobbing into a motel - the cost would be within spitting distance of the rental and there'd be no paperwork or obligation.

easygroove Jan 25th 2005 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
It's all negotiable but unfurnished usually wants six months. Furnished can be "Holiday" lets, which tend to be by the night and quite expensive, or "Long term lets" which ARE negotiable.

If you're only talking about a couple of weeks quite honestly you'd be as well just lobbing into a motel - the cost would be within spitting distance of the rental and there'd be no paperwork or obligation.

we're in the same position but in Sydney! We have 3 week furnished flat provided by the company but we have to find our own unfurnished rental in that time and the get the basics as far as furniture is concerned. We're only bringing personal bits and pieces from the UK. I feel it's gonna be a hectic 3 weeks!!

Anyone else had to go through this process? How was it?