British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How Long One Can Stay On Student Visa In Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-one-can-stay-student-visa-australia-694078/)

jason_allen Nov 19th 2010 1:22 am

How Long One Can Stay On Student Visa In Australia

How long can one stay on student visa inside Australia.Several mature aged students, in Melbourne are on student visa since last 8 years (living with families) and full time driving taxis.A taxi driver make AUD$5000 per month and is considered a sole trader therefore normally free to pay tax on any cash in hand income.

Bermudashorts Nov 19th 2010 1:35 am

Re: How Long One Can Stay On Student Visa In Australia

If thye are driving taxis full time and not going to college then they are technically illegal.

hoofie2002 Nov 19th 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by jason_allen (Post 8990897)
How long can one stay on student visa inside Australia.Several mature aged students, in Melbourne are on student visa since last 8 years (living with families) and full time driving taxis.A taxi driver make AUD$5000 per month and is considered a sole trader therefore normally free to pay tax on any cash in hand income.

I look forward to seeing them on Border Patrol in the future - stopping all Taxi Drivers at a location and checking their immigration status is an easy way to nab overstayers.

harrip Nov 19th 2010 2:54 am

How do you know they are full time taxi drivers? This would suggest they are not going to college and before long their visa would therefore be revoked.

It is possible to work part time on a student visa once the dispensation has been obtained.

jason_allen Nov 19th 2010 3:16 am

Originally Posted by harrip (Post 8991023)
How do you know they are full time taxi drivers? This would suggest they are not going to college and before long their visa would therefore be revoked.

It is possible to work part time on a student visa once the dispensation has been obtained.

Taxi driving is a business and as a sole trader there is no way to measure or control hours worked (part time or full time) etc. or track cash in hand transactions. There are several small colleges in Melbourne which charge fees and mark positive student attendance.No cap (or time limit) on the back to back renewal of student visa is something which DIAC must look into.

harrip Nov 19th 2010 3:25 am

Originally Posted by jason_allen (Post 8991042)
TaNo cap (or time limit) on the back to back renewal of student visa is something which DIAC must look into.

When I went through the Student Visa process I had to give evidence of ALL my course enrollments.

Centurion Nov 19th 2010 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jason_allen (Post 8990897)

The question you should ask yourself if how long can one stay posting to British Expats under a new user name despite being banned in the past ?

The answer is - about 4 hours tops. Goodbye.

Thread closed.