Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long on my passport

How long on my passport

Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice
Default How long on my passport

I have my PR visa and hope to travel around April 06. Here is the snag. My visa runs out in may 07 and it has been said that I need at least 2yrs on my passport from date of entry. I know I can apply for a new passport but how will this affect my visa because to be issued with a new passport means that my old one will be cancelled, and thats the one with my visa in it. So will my visa then become cancelled
Help please
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long on my passport

Originally Posted by lovealot
I have my PR visa and hope to travel around April 06. Here is the snag. My visa runs out in may 07 and it has been said that I need at least 2yrs on my passport from date of entry. I know I can apply for a new passport but how will this affect my visa because to be issued with a new passport means that my old one will be cancelled, and thats the one with my visa in it. So will my visa then become cancelled
Help please
As far as I'm aware it's pretty much all electronic these days, so the visa relates to your passport number, not the physical paper item. So even if you get a new UK passport, it should still contain all your visa info.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Well am I right in saying that if you get a new passport then you get a new number
Any advise welcome
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Well am I right in saying that if you get a new passport then you get a new number
Any advise welcome
Nope - should be the same number - you're just renewing it after all...
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mother in law just renewed hers and although it had a few months left on it, they cancelled and issued a new one(different number to her old one that they also returned to her.)
My worry is that if they give me a new one with different number and cancel my old one with visa attached , then in theory my visa would be on a cancelled passport
Help
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Mother in law just renewed hers and although it had a few months left on it, they cancelled and issued a new one(different number to her old one that they also returned to her.)
My worry is that if they give me a new one with different number and cancel my old one with visa attached , then in theory my visa would be on a cancelled passport
Help

A new passport will have a new passport number.

However the visa stamp is evidence of the visa, not the visa itself. You can carry the visa in an old passport, however many airline staff don't understand that this is ok and people do get hassled/delayed at check-in. Alternatively, most visas can be restamped at a DIMIA office in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

dazdub is an unknown quantity at this point

Help
Hi spoke to my agent on this today he said get your old pasport stamped with your visa at london as that was the one the visa was granted to. send off for a new 10yr pasport & take both with u.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazdub
Hi spoke to my agent on this today he said get your old pasport stamped with your visa at london as that was the one the visa was granted to. send off for a new 10yr pasport & take both with u.

In that case - be prepared for a delay when you check-in for your flight in case the airline staff have a problem with this.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

dazdub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case - be prepared for a delay when you check-in for your flight in case the airline staff have a problem with this.

Jeremy
To avoid delays can some one living in the uk have their visa re stamped in au u mentioned before their validation trip

Darren
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by dazdub
To avoid delays can some one living in the uk have their visa re stamped in au u mentioned before their validation trip

Darren

The Australian High Commission in London do not "re-stamp" visas (so they say) although I suppose they must have to do so if you can prove your passport is lost or stolen.

Unfortunately if you have had your visa stamped and you have obtained a new passport, you'll just have to take your chances with the airline. Check-in early and maybe get an email from the airline beforehand saying that visa in an old passport is ok.

The time to get a new passport is *before* any visa is stamped.

Jeremy
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Well originally! I had been told by my agent that I only needed 1 yr but have since found out that its two yrs or do you know otherwise
Any advise welcome
Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Hi,
Hope you don't mind me asking for advice,re our youngest son aged 5, his passport expires January 2007. We are still awaiting visas, should we send off for a new passport now? Will we have to inform DIMIA and send copy of
new passport.
Thanks for any advice
Sharon
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi,
Hope you don't mind me asking for advice,re our youngest son aged 5, his passport expires January 2007. We are still awaiting visas, should we send off for a new passport now? Will we have to inform DIMIA and send copy of
new passport.
Thanks for any advice
Sharon

Hi
I know we had to fill out a change of circumstances form when we got our meds request & I'm sure it mentioned about having at least 2 years on the passport,before you get it stamped with your visa. We rang our agent,as hubby's passport exps 20/11/07 & they said you only need 1 year,so we left it.
Got visa granted this week & now I'm paniking again,after reading all this!

Hope some-one can give a deffinate answer.

Have just re-read med req letter & it states "passport should be valid for an adequate period (it is recomended this be at least 2 year) "

So,still not clear

Last edited by woogle; Nov 6th 2005 at 10:56 am.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi,
new passport.
Thanks for any advice
Sharon

It won't hurt to get a new passport for him now. Yes, you will need to send details of the new passport (certified copy of the ID page) to your case officer.

Jeremy