Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long to make move after validation

How Long to make move after validation

Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default How Long to make move after validation

Hi all

I'm in a bit of shock, I understood that after validation, you had five years to make the move and have just read a thread on the Immigration forum, which said you have to be in Oz three out of the five years?!! eeeek, that is scary as we have been happily thinking "five years, we've got loads of time!!".

We hope to hear early next year as our case is being worked on and were thinking we would validate at Easter.

Please help!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Poppy
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:17 pm
WBB

Default Re: How Long to make move after validation

Originally posted by Poppy
Hi all

I'm in a bit of shock, I understood that after validation, you had five years to make the move and have just read a thread on the Immigration forum, which said you have to be in Oz three out of the five years?!! eeeek, that is scary as we have been happily thinking "five years, we've got loads of time!!".

We hope to hear early next year as our case is being worked on and were thinking we would validate at Easter.

Please help!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Poppy
i thought it was 2 out of the 5, but i am not sure.

anybody???

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:18 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i thought it was 2 out of the 5, but i am not sure.

anybody???

I was of the same opinion as you............

love boomie
xxx
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:56 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy,

Have a look here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/faqs.cfm#07

Best regards.

Originally posted by Poppy
Hi all

Please help!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Poppy
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I understand it:
Your PR visa is valid for a certain amount of time (ours is also 5 years). This means that you can come and go in Oz as you please (without the need for a resident return visa) during those 5 years. The only restriction is that you have to make initial entry (validation) by a certian date. After your PR has expired (5 years) you will need a RRV if you want to come back into Oz.

If you have taken out citizenship then you won't need to worry about the 5 year thing or RRVs.

For citizenship, you can take out citizenship after 2 years of living in Oz. This can be 2 continuous years straightaway or 2 out of the last 5 years (and that needs to include one year in the last 2).

HP
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Should just say that the 5 years starts when the visa is issued - NOT when you validate
So, say your visa is issued Jan 2004, for a 5 year visa, this would expire Jan 2009. You may have been given 12 months to validate (i.e. by Jan 2005) but your PR will still expire Jan 2009 (5 years from visa issue - and not Jan 2010 which would be 5 years from validation). So if you validated in Jan 2005, you would only have 4 years left to make your move.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it, it has cleared it up a bit:

So could we validate and then go just before the five years expires and stay for two years without leaving the country and then apply for citizenship? or does everything have to be done within the five years? I know I probably sound like I am repeating myself = doh!!, but I thought that the only reason you couldn't do it close to the expiry date was that when it does expire, we wouldn't be able to leave and return without a PRV, but if we don't leave Oz within two years , we wouldn't need a PRV anyway and then we could apply for the citizenship??!!!

Did I say it had cleared it up - I was lying - is it just me!!! Ok, it is, but can anyone answer this, I am sorry for being clueless - three kids later, the brain cells have diminished somewhat!!!.

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for those that replied! It will sink in, but it could take a while!!

Cheers

Poppy
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

happyone298 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Should just say that the 5 years starts when the visa is issued - NOT when you validate
So, say your visa is issued Jan 2004, for a 5 year visa, this would expire Jan 2009. You may have been given 12 months to validate (i.e. by Jan 2005) but your PR will still expire Jan 2009 (5 years from visa issue - and not Jan 2010 which would be 5 years from validation). So if you validated in Jan 2005, you would only have 4 years left to make your move.

At the risk of being insulted, can anyone confirm whether it is actually the case that the 5 years starts when the visa is issued by the DIMIA and NOT when validating the visa before the initial entry date..??

Thanks in advance for any help..
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:04 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Useful life of permanent skilled visas

For skilled visas, the 5 years starts from the date of visa grant.

Best regards.

Originally posted by happyone298
At the risk of being insulted, can anyone confirm whether it is actually the case that the 5 years starts when the visa is issued by the DIMIA and NOT when validating the visa before the initial entry date..??

Thanks in advance for any help..