Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long have you spent in Oz before deciding to Migrate....

View Poll Results: How long did you spend down under before deciding to migrate.
Spent more than 3 years in Oz before deciding
2.70%
Spent 2-3 years
10.81%
Spent 1-2years
8.11%
Spent less than a year (WHV, World Travel, Short Holiday)
78.38%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

How long have you spent in Oz before deciding to Migrate....

Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

no trouble here, thanks. made my own poll to satisfy my own curiosity, and nothing else. what did you do ?
Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Also, if you "don't give a toss" how much time people have spent in Oz prior to migrating, why on earth did you instigate the poll in the first place???

read my statement -- because of my own curiosity, thats why.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Whoa!!! I suggest you take some Valium mate!!! Chill out!!!
I only made the point that spending 11 months in Australia ia NOT the same as never having been - that is a FACT. The two are incomparable.
and the baseline standards you set for this statement are.......? please check your "statements" before making them. this poll was for my own curiosity, not anyone elses.
Old Dec 14th 2002, 3:27 am
2thick

Originally posted by Kath
I've met a few people who moved here without visiting, just read books etc.. I couldn't believe it!

We had a 2 months back-packing (before we had children) then a 3 week trip before moving here permanently. Nothing prepares you for 'living' here - it's completely different when you are working, doing the school run, paying bills etc. The grass isn't greener, there is good/bad in both UK and Australia.
Well if nothing prepares you for living here, isn't that an arguement in favour of not wasting too much time, effort or money on preparatory or exploratory trips?

Old Dec 15th 2002, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Good point 2thick!! ( not so thick? ) - re-read my post, mmm - can see what you mean.

I must admit settling in was still difficult even though we'd visited Australia a few times, - leaving the UK permanently feels different to going away on holiday, nothing can prepare you for the emotional upheaval.

There's no right / wrong way to make this move you just have to go with your instincts so, yes, maybe fact-finding trips are a waste? Personally I felt happier knowing where we were going to live.