Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long have you spent in Oz before deciding to Migrate....

View Poll Results: How long did you spend down under before deciding to migrate.
Spent more than 3 years in Oz before deciding
2.70%
Spent 2-3 years
10.81%
Spent 1-2years
8.11%
Spent less than a year (WHV, World Travel, Short Holiday)
78.38%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

How long have you spent in Oz before deciding to Migrate....

Old Dec 11th 2002, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by stay or go ?
zero time spent in australia is less than 12 months, is it not ?

practical lines need to be drawn somewhere, otherwise there would be a poll 8 miles long.
No. 0 time in Oz is not 11 months...Believe me, I know.
Old Dec 11th 2002, 10:17 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Stay or Go, why get het up at the idea of people emigrating to Aus without having been there first? It's not exactly a big deal to move back home after a few years if you don't like it enough to stay. There's loads of good material available (print, video, internet etc) to research Aus from afar - of course not as good as looking around Aus in person for a time but not such a bad way of deciding.

Would you consider someone moving from London to (say) Bristol under-researched if they just went there for a day and looked around town? I'm sure that's what a lot of intra-UK movers do, if they don't like it enough to stay they move someplace else.

With Australia, UK migrants at least know they have plenty in common with the new country, maybe not an exact copy of the UK but I suggest similarities exist:

language
culture
schooling
health care
countryside/ sea (you can find very similar parts to most of Europe including UK if you think about it)
food
outlook/ attitude
(there must be others).

Cheers - Dn
Old Dec 11th 2002, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

thank p.s

how to disenfranchise people whilst giving them a democratic right to vote

question

when do you want to go into the euro-

1 today
2 one week
3 one month

vote now -you decide our future -your vote counts!!!

cheers

richard
Old Dec 12th 2002, 3:14 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
With Australia, UK migrants at least know they have plenty in common with the new country, maybe not an exact copy of the UK but I suggest similarities exist:

language
culture
schooling
health care
countryside/ sea (you can find very similar parts to most of Europe including UK if you think about it)
food
outlook/ attitude
(there must be others).

Cheers - Dn
Have you spent anytime in Australia , because looking at your list I would question if some of it.

Countryside -depends where you are but the British countryside is why 22million visit the UK ,its unequalled anywhere in the world
Healthcare - only differance is cost
Food - more limited here supermarkets are half the size in Australia
Outlook/attitude - Australians are becoming American Clones without the same know how.

Old Dec 12th 2002, 3:37 am
Don
Banned

I did say similarities, not an exact likeness. Yes, I have spent nearly 4 months in Australia, QLD and Sydney, but not in that tropical paradise Perth.

To answer your question, just ask yourself which country Australia is most similar to re: the attributes I mentioned:

UK, or
USA, France, Germany, Italy, in fact all the EU 15, all the Central and East European countries, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, in fact all the Arabic countries, Russia...etc, OK the whole world.

(Note I did not include Canada, NZ as being more similar to UK than Australia...)

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 12th 2002, 5:59 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I did say similarities, not an exact likeness. Yes, I have spent nearly 4 months in Australia, QLD and Sydney, but not in that tropical paradise Perth.

To answer your question, just ask yourself which country Australia is most similar to re: the attributes I mentioned:

UK, or
USA, France, Germany, Italy, in fact all the EU 15, all the Central and East European countries, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, in fact all the Arabic countries, Russia...etc, OK the whole world.

(Note I did not include Canada, NZ as being more similar to UK than Australia...)

Cheers - Don
More than a few would go for Pakistan well parts of Bradford anyway,seeing you have started the ball rolling the UK covers 4 countries each slightly different the nearest to it in my worthless opinion is where you are NZ is nearer in weather and landscape plus the people less affected by the Yankies.

Old Dec 12th 2002, 6:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Outlook/attitude - Australians are becoming American Clones without the same know how.

You'll find the same has happened in the South East of England too.
Old Dec 12th 2002, 6:48 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
You'll find the same has happened in the South East of England too.
What they can not walk and chew gum at the same time , whats the world coming to? also end every sentence with COOL means sod all to me.

Old Dec 12th 2002, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

p.s yes england is indeed the best country in the world -

I've always said that if the sun shone like it did in oz then we wouldn't have 60 million here we would have 600 million!!

however it doesn't and it never will and when it doesn't it's a shite place to be!!
at the moment it's cold dark damp and bloody miserable...

in all honesty i would pop back for a stay before you packed up and headded home
a schoolfriend of mine came back from sydney (missing basingstoke for christsake!!! ) ....and couldn't wait to get back to the warm..

come back and see what is here because our memories are very poor at remembering the bad things

e.g how many times do we hear-"it never snows at christmas like it did when I was a kid"

however in the last century we had only 7 white christmases so that is a delusion but we like to hold onto because it makes us feel nice..

cheers

richard
Old Dec 12th 2002, 9:01 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

UK, or

Cheers - Don
Don, having been around a bit my own conclusion is that Australia is most similar to America re the attributes mentioned. Its a very different culture to the UK and thats the key reason why so many find it hard to settle here - UK with more sunshine it most definitely is not!
Old Dec 13th 2002, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard - sorry, but what a croc of shite. that is the worst comparison i have ever come across. if your longest time limit was say "12months or more", then it would bear some similarity.

Pommie Sheila - zero and eleven are both less than 12. Sorry, thats numerics for you. we can get into qualitative vs quantitative arguements about whether 11months on the piss in sydney is the same as never having come over etc etc until the cows come home.Also, it is YOUR opinion that the poll loses all credibility or whatever it was you said. errrr...no it doesnt, because the poll was written to satisfy my curiosity and nobody elses - so long as that criteria is reached, it is a successful poll.

if you disagree with the way i put this poll together, then you have a number of options really:
1) dont vote on it
2) create your own in your own Polling Nirvana image
nobody forced you to read / vote on this.

i didnt put this together with any criteria other than the satisfaction of my curiosity - notice, there is no Null Hypothesis that i am trying to prove / disprove. I dont get "all het up" about how long or how short an amount of time people have spent in Oz prior to migrating - I couldnt give a toss to be honest, i have my permanent residency, i attend this forum to give what little advice and help i can offer as someone who has been on a Temp 457, gone through the Skilled Independet process without an agent, and generally migrated over here - not to be "heckled".

my curiosity is satisfied, if anyone else decides they wish to make a better poll to prove something they want to prove, be my guest, that is your right.

for those who answered in the spirit the poll was meant - thank you.

for the rest - do i really care what your opinion is ?

HAVE A GUESS....?

Last edited by stay or go ?; Dec 13th 2002 at 2:09 am.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 3:52 am
Don
Banned

Calm down, you sound a bit het up.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 13th 2002, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Richard - sorry, but what a croc of shite. that is the worst comparison i have ever come across. if your longest time limit was say "12months or more", then it would bear some similarity.

Pommie Sheila - zero and eleven are both less than 12. Sorry, thats numerics for you. we can get into qualitative vs quantitative arguements about whether 11months on the piss in sydney is the same as never having come over etc etc until the cows come home.Also, it is YOUR opinion that the poll loses all credibility or whatever it was you said. errrr...no it doesnt, because the poll was written to satisfy my curiosity and nobody elses - so long as that criteria is reached, it is a successful poll.

if you disagree with the way i put this poll together, then you have a number of options really:
1) dont vote on it

i didnt put this together with any criteria other than the satisfaction of my curiosity - notice, there is no Null Hypothesis that i am trying to prove / disprove. I dont get "all het up" about how long or how short an amount of time people have spent in Oz prior to migrating - I couldnt give a toss to be honest, i have my permanent residency, i attend this forum to give what little advice and help i can offer as someone who has been on a Temp 457, gone through the Skilled Independet process without an agent, and generally migrated over here - not to be "heckled".

my curiosity is satisfied, if anyone else decides they wish to make a better poll to prove something they want to prove, be my guest, that is your right.

HAVE A GUESS....?
Whoa!!! I suggest you take some Valium mate!!! Chill out!!!
I only made the point that spending 11 months in Australia ia NOT the same as never having been - that is a FACT. The two are incomparable.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

1) dont vote on it

HAVE A GUESS....?
Also, if you "don't give a toss" how much time people have spent in Oz prior to migrating, why on earth did you instigate the poll in the first place???
Old Dec 13th 2002, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

yes he is in a bit of trouble over this...

cheers

richard

p.s god i hope he isn't going to adelaide...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.