Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long have you been in Australia ?

How long have you been in Australia ?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:45 am
Just Joined

FXtrader is an unknown quantity at this point
Post How long have you been in Australia ?

Hi all, Bumped into this great website by accident, and been reading some interesting posts.
I've been in Australia nearly 9 years with several visits before coming permanently from Surrey, and I just wondered how long others had been here - haven't met many 'Long Termers' from the UK, so I'm interested to see if there are some 'Old Timers' here !
Cheers....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:48 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have you been in Australia ?

Originally Posted by FXtrader
Hi all, Bumped into this great website by accident, and been reading some interesting posts.
I've been in Australia nearly 9 years with several visits before coming permanently from Surrey, and I just wondered how long others had been here - haven't met many 'Long Termers' from the UK, so I'm interested to see if there are some 'Old Timers' here !
Cheers....
I'm stil green and arrived here on 1st July this year so am junior to you!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm fairly green too.

Arrived here 7 months ago

Cas
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:00 am
ABCDiamond

I got here in Dec 1986 But I went back for 4 years.., so (just checked it exactly) i've been here for 13 years and 9 months in total.

Better reduce that by the other trips home ..... make it 12 years 11 months

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'm fairly green too.

Arrived here 7 months ago

Cas
Very green, been here 1 month
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Very green, been here 1 month
Hi

Enjoying yourselves and settling in??

Cas
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:10 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

18 years 7 months. :scared:
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Del Boy
18 years 7 months. :scared:
Have you settled in yet ?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:29 am
Just Joined

FXtrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies, I thought maybe I was the only survivor !, Seems only a few stay more than 2 or 3 years.....do you agree / disagree..?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:31 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you settled in yet ?
Very good ABC.

Not entirely, no.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for replies, I thought maybe I was the only survivor !, Seems only a few stay more than 2 or 3 years.....do you agree / disagree..?
From the statistics i've seen, the majority stay longer

They just blend into the country

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Am not able to answer that - all I know at present is that I feel as though I never want to leave.

Realise that it is only earlyish days yet for us, but we both still get that kick out of living here, and feel so lucky - despite a rather large disappointment with my job I was sponsored to do (initially on 457, before getting PR last week)
So now a new chapter in my life begins....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Very good ABC.

Not entirely, no.
I think it is difficult for anyone to ever settle totally, we just try to choose the place that has more positives than negatives, when compared to other alternatives.

It was easier in the early 1900's. The furthest that most people would travel would be 40 or 50 miles, so they never knew any different, hence the number of people who stayed in the one job from 15 to 65.

These days, we get to compare so much, either visiting places or just seeing it on the TV or the internet etc. Many of us can't help wanting more than we may have, and opting for changes, but then we are wanting some bits that we did have, aswell as some bits that we now have, but find it impossible to get the perfect combination (otherwise known as utopia).

So, we have to settle with less than perfection, wherever we end up

Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:42 am
Absinthe Minded

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it is difficult for anyone to ever settle totally, we just try to choose the place that has more positives than negatives, when compared to other alternatives.

It was easier in the early 1900's. The furthest that most people would travel would be 40 or 50 miles, so they never knew any different, hence the number of people who stayed in the one job from 15 to 65.

These days, we get to compare so much, either visiting places or just seeing it on the TV or the internet etc. Many of us can't help wanting more than we may have, and opting for changes, but then we are wanting some bits that we did have, aswell as some bits that we now have, but find it impossible to get the perfect combination (otherwise known as utopia).

So, we have to settle with less than perfection, wherever we end up
Wise words indeed.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

We've been here since January 03 and would definitely call this place our home.
Can't really imagine ever wanting to go back to the UK, don't get me wrong we lived in a lovely area and it was fantastic having all the family near by (sadly you only truly realise this after you leave them).
Life seems settled now, we haven't had an easy ride since we got here - lots of problems getting a job, etc, however we feel that as a family it was definitely the best decision we made. There is so much more to offer our sons and we feel so much safer.
We are also really lucky that most of my immediate family have visited us since we have been here, and liked it so much have or are applying for visa's.
We know people who have come over to Australia and hated it, but I think it depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are.
For us like I said this is our home, we feel we truly belong here.
Annie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.