Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long have teachers and nurses waited for validation

How long have teachers and nurses waited for validation

Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light
Default How long have teachers and nurses waited for validation

Just wondered if anyone else can shed some light on how long a teacher and nurse would have to wait in NSW for their qualifications to be recognised by the state.
My husband and I in our respective careers applied 3 months ago and are still waiting to work again in our choosen careers (we are both living in Austrlia). The nursing board and teaching board seem to be so tied up with redtape. Not recognising Uni transcripts, wanting more detailed transcripts, so much hassle.
We emigrated out here because we both worked in shortage areas (was on the shortage list) and are ending up not being able to fill those areas because we cannot be recognised. so frustrating!!!
Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have teachers and nurses waited for validation

What visa are you here on? Obviously not a 136 skilled as you would have had your skills assessed and transcripts verified as part of the process to send with your visa application. Then, as a nurse, you would just have to register with the nursing board in your state, some of which have a bit of a backlog I think.
I don't know what to suggest as I don't know your situation. If you are just starting out on the skills assessment process, this is by far the most time consuming in gathering together all the info and references.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

Actually am on 136 modl
Entering the country on your skills is the easy bit getting registered and them allowing you to actually work in your state is where the real fun begins!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really surprised that the NSW nursing board ask you again for all the verification and transcripts. Yes, the NMC (or registration board in whichever country you are from - I shouldn't assume you are from UK) can send verification of registration, but you will have a valid skills assessment from the ANMC so this should cover most of the requirements.
Have you posted this on the nursing forum of this site, hopefully nurses in NSW may be more help than I am here in QLD. I think a lot get their state registration before coming to Aus, because of a backlog, certainly in QLD.
I agree that it is frustrating, to go through the visa process, skills assessment etc then have to do the same stuff all over again to get licensed to work.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

I also came on a 136, and it took almost 4 mnths to get my registration with Victoria, I had requested all my info be sent from the ANMC about 3 months before we left the UK, I filed for my registration once we arrived, and waited and waited, after 2 months i rang the Vic Board to be told they had none of the supporting documents, after 2 emails and 3 phone calls my documents were forwarded from the ANMC.
After 3 weeks of hearing nothing i rang my assessing officer from the Vic Board to be told the references were not specific enough, so i had to email the UK and wait for references to arrive, it was completely crap.
in contrast I sent off for registration in SA, and within 10 days i had my registraton.
My advice would be to call them, find out exactly what they want from you, and well if that doesnt work move to SA
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks glad it is not just me then
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I really feel for you. I would feel 'rabid' by now.
Sorry, I didn't realise how they kept the process so slow after you getting your visas. Seems ridiculous, same as all the tradesmen who go through the same red tape.
Sent K, not that it helps,
Cheers