Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long has it taken you to get a job?

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to get a job?
Under 1 month
55.17%
2 months
6.90%
3.45%
0%
3.45%
3.45%
0%
0%
3.45%
3.45%
0%
0%
More than 1 year
3.45%
Unemployed/not applicable
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How long has it taken you to get a job?

Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:05 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long has it taken you to get a job?

Seems to take longer here (we were warned!)

Interested to see the average.

Last edited by Pookin; Oct 9th 2003 at 2:08 am.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long has it taken you to get a job?

Originally posted by Pookin
Seems to take longer here (we were warned!)

Interested to see the average.
Took me about 6 weeks, so I should probably have clicked 2 months but clicked 1.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I'll just say one thing, jobs are here, anyone can get bar work, fruit picking, cleaning, mowing etc. Dont snort at me now, I am talking to support yourselves till you get the job you want.

That is a bit of a problem here really, people dont want to take the grotty stuff till the ideal situation comes up.

So I wont vote as it would be job to support myself 2 days, job I didnt mind but low paid a year or so, create own job was the answer for me.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:34 am
owieb

It took me a week to get a job when I first arrived, but I'd been making contacts and selling myself for about 4 months whilst in the UK.

I clicked less than a month, but I guess some might think of it as longer!

Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:12 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
It took me a week to get a job when I first arrived, but I'd been making contacts and selling myself for about 4 months whilst in the UK.

I clicked less than a month, but I guess some might think of it as longer!
I've been looking for 3 weeks now and have had 2 interviews. Just been told this morning that they want me back for a 2nd one, and still waiting on the results for the other one - Sales & Marketing support for IT/petroleum companies.

'Hubby' has been doing 3 days a week or so for a mate and is doing his garden today.

He's in IT and has an interview next week. He has his HGV licence as well, so that's a bonus. He's had a lot of calls from agencies too.

If we get desperate, 'Hubbys' cousin has offered us work up at their farm near Moora.

All positive so far and money is fine for now. If no luck with these interviews, I'll be madly plugging the temp scene next week - and am happy to do anything temp-wise.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:34 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I posted 5 months for hubby - he was the PR applicant - I had a job to transfer to.

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:54 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
I'll just say one thing, jobs are here, anyone can get bar work, fruit picking, cleaning, mowing etc. Dont snort at me now, I am talking to support yourselves till you get the job you want.

Fruit picking is exactly what i intend to do while i am looking for work. Its surprising how much money you can make if you work hard enough, and if you are in the right area and harvesting time.

Picking grapes in the Coonawara area south of Adelaide a few years ago i made $1200 is one week. Excellent money for casual work.

NOTE....i was traveling, and worked pretty much the whole 7 days solid though....i think 5-600 is normal for a weeks grape picking.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

That is a bit of a problem here really, people dont want to take the grotty stuff till the ideal situation comes up.

So I wont vote as it would be job to support myself 2 days, job I didnt mind but low paid a year or so, create own job was the answer for me.
We have already discussed this one, we will get a job cleaning if it pays the rent! But i'm hoping to be able to be self employed overthere too, Dotty is it ok to pm you and pick your brains re licences and council b*lloxs etc?
(after all you know all about the tupperware game dont'cha )
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:11 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

We all (3 of us) found work after being here for 2 months. Ok, we are across the ditch, but you didn't specify which country.
We had been applying for about 4 weeks, and got jobs offered (good ones too!) within a week of each other. If you see what I mean.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hubby got a job in the first week , but then he is a bricky so alot around. Me i had tried everything shops , cleaning the lot had stacks of interviews , but wasnt getting anywhere. Went for one at the airport had 3 interviews , got to the last 15 for 5 jobs , and all they kept asking about was the kids , and how i would cope , bloody hell thats my business i wouldnt go for a job if i didnt have childcare sorted. Anyway eventually i have got a job casual in the gift shop at AQWA , lovely job and nice hours , good morning , it will do while im doing my course at TAFE and at least i have now WA experience
Joanne
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:46 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I do find that the people still living in the UK, about to come over to Oz and live here say that they are prepared to do anything as long as it pays the rent/mortgage. I have to admit that I was one of these.

Working as a cleaner/toilet attendant - gardener (in boiling heat) -general dogs body will not pay the rent because the pay is to low. Why should you have to give up a good job in the UK to be a cleaner in Oz. I know its a starting point and some of you say its better than being out of work, but who in the UK started their working career as a cleaner?? (no offence to any who are cleaners)

Surely 'quality of life' is about enjoying life and moving to somewhere better? Surely its about improving your life rather than having to start from the bottom again??

I gave up trying to get a decent job and now work with horses as I have mentioned in previous posts. This is ok and was great as a hobby but very lonely as the horses don't talk much!! I have decided to 'TRY' and get a job again so here goes the long drawn out process of letter writing and resume sending only to have no-one reply!!! ????
Good luck to all those trying to get work though and if anyone knows of a grape picking job around the Swan Valley area that pays $1200 a week then please let me know!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been very lucky and was offered a job after I contacted a company to ask about employment prospects. I had a phone interview back in April and they offered me work straight away. They have actually held a position for me during all the delays of getting our visa and selling our house....so as I've said before I feel very lucky!
I'm a radiographer and we're in short supply in the UK as well so it seems like I made a good choice of career! Unfortunately Mr Foggy hasn't got a job yet (he's in the marine industry)..........I think he's hoping to become a kept man!
We've both had encouraging responses from research and e-mailing possible employers.
My main problem now is will I have recovered from my jet-lag before I start my new job on 26th Nov?

Happy job hunting to all

Claire
Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:23 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
I do find that the people still living in the UK, about to come over to Oz and live here say that they are prepared to do anything as long as it pays the rent/mortgage. I have to admit that I was one of these.

Working as a cleaner/toilet attendant - gardener (in boiling heat) -general dogs body will not pay the rent because the pay is to low. Why should you have to give up a good job in the UK to be a cleaner in Oz. I know its a starting point and some of you say its better than being out of work, but who in the UK started their working career as a cleaner?? (no offence to any who are cleaners)

Surely 'quality of life' is about enjoying life and moving to somewhere better? Surely its about improving your life rather than having to start from the bottom again??

I gave up trying to get a decent job and now work with horses as I have mentioned in previous posts. This is ok and was great as a hobby but very lonely as the horses don't talk much!! I have decided to 'TRY' and get a job again so here goes the long drawn out process of letter writing and resume sending only to have no-one reply!!! ????
Good luck to all those trying to get work though and if anyone knows of a grape picking job around the Swan Valley area that pays $1200 a week then please let me know!!!!!!!!
Hi Janey
What i actually ment by my comment is that i would rather do something to earn money, than spend all of the capitol we have put aside for a house on rent. I will do anything it takes to earn a buck, but i don't see that as starting from the bottom, its more a case of being real untill a job with the right hours and money comes up. BTW i would love to work with horses, oh the peace
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt take us long at all but then hubby is a bricklayer in hot demand in NZ so we were at an advantage