Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long has it taken? THE MOVE

How long has it taken? THE MOVE

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:21 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long has it taken? THE MOVE

I am sitting here wondering how long it takes for this whole thing to be over and bliss to set in.

How long did it take from 'making the decision' to being there.

I can't help wonder if I am living in a bubble and it won't actually happen.

How about you?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:39 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Smile Re: How long has it taken? THE MOVE

A long long time. I first thought about it in 1999. Has taken 7 years to persuade husband it really is the right thing. Have finally got an agent on the case and are trying to get the TRA assessment through now. Want to get out there now.................
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long has it taken? THE MOVE

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I am sitting here wondering how long it takes for this whole thing to be over and bliss to set in.

How about you?

I so know that feeling!

I am in a bubble of my own which includes worrying about diseases I may have or may develop in time for my medicals, having visions of DIMA saying 'dont let her in, she wont fit in', Police checks coming back with displays of major identity fraud, husband changing his mind, and finally I think that I am in a dream and I will wake up and I wouldnt have even started my TRA.

So yes, I know that feeling very well.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
A long long time. I first thought about it in 1999. Has taken 7 years to persuade husband it really is the right thing. Have finally got an agent on the case and are trying to get the TRA assessment through now. Want to get out there now.................
Even longer time for us. We got married 9 years ago tomorrow. We had a quick registry office do organised in a month:scared: . And the reason (well s'pose love did come into it somewhere ) but the main reason we got married is we wanted to go to Oz and it was less paperwork to sort out if we were married!!!! non of this de facto palarva, Romantic eh. Well we at last sorted out the rest of the paperwork and hopefully only have another 6 months to wait. We sent in our application in February.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We thought about doing this two years ago, and we were thinking we'd be there in 2005 but we were still doing the house up then. I am on a spouse visa so it was easy for me and the children, but getting everything organised and naming a date, getting the paperwork done ... It's all taken time.

We leave on the 12th April.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We started talking about it on July 5, 2005. The day after I got fired for turning in my lying, cheating boss to the Ministry of Health for fraud. I was going into the city on the train when I saw a very small article in the newspaper saying that there was a shortage of skilled workers in Australia. Must have been karma or something, because I went home and told my husband that this was what was meant to be. He said ok and we started from there. TRA application went in October and the main application went to DIMA on February 2. We're hoping to have a positive result by July so we can leave before August 12. My daughter turns 12 then and her airfare goes up by nearly 50%
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to make the move in December 2004 Instructed agent Feb 05. husband went on a rekkie march 05. Got all paperwork together end of October 05. Requested more info march 06. Instructed estate agent yesterday having meds on 25th and sending police checks next week. Hope to have visa June of 06 hope to be there around end june early july 06.

Cant wait now we are sick of waiting and so are the kids the little one has been expecting us to go since he found out we are going and even the 7 year old is getting ants in his pants now.

Hopefully we will hear back from our case officer within the next 2 weeks and everything will be hunky dory and she doesent want any more info.

And of course hopefully the house sells quickly.
Nicola
x
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:58 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

We went on holiday to Oz in July/August 2004 and loved it.
Finally got the ball rolling in January 2005. Should have the visa in about 6 weeks time and will be moving out there at the end of August.

Julie. x
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
We went on holiday to Oz in July/August 2004 and loved it.
Finally got the ball rolling in January 2005. Should have the visa in about 6 weeks time and will be moving out there at the end of August.

Julie. x

Good luck Julie ... and everyone else who's going through the process.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:50 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

How about you?
From never even talking about Australia one day it was "do you fancy moving to Australia?". 54 weeks later we landed in Brisbane for good. Would have been sooner, but we'd booked a 4 week holiday here in July Aug so we put the house sale back a few weeks. Could have done it in about 48 weeks if we'd not had the holiday. That was on a PR 136 Visa
Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:47 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Good luck Julie ... and everyone else who's going through the process.
Aw, Thanks iPom, and Good Luck to you for next week.
Julie. x
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Aw, Thanks iPom, and Good Luck to you for next week.
Julie. x

Cheers!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

How about you?
Hi,
Hubby has been trying to persuade me to go since 2000 celebrations in Sydney. We eventually decided to give it a try and submitted TRA in December 2004.

When we had a positive TRA result we went out to Perth for a look. Loved it.

We finally got our visa in November 2005. Flights are booked 1 way for 15th August 2006. We have sold the house, but until we actually move out and hand over the keys I have this panicky feeling, what if they pull out etc.

Good luck to all.

Sharon
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:07 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get the TU involved? Whistleblowers are protected.If they dismiss like they did with the home office guy from sheffield, they end up paying, financially for it. Shame you didn't try for a employment tribunal. sorry presuming. Good luck with the future.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long has it taken? THE MOVE

we started thinking about going to oz last year but were undecided weather to go for it till this year . how long does the emigration procedure take as we cant apply till next year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.