Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long does a visa take?

how long does a visa take?

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:42 am
Just Joined

kamdarc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long does a visa take?

Can anyone give a rough, general idea as to how long it takes for a visa to be granted after the application process? I'm applying for general skilled migration and my qualifications are currently being assessed. I know this takes 10 - 12 weeks. I'm sure it's different depending on circumstances, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience on how long it took for them.

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere. I'm new to this.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Re: how long does a visa take?

Originally Posted by kamdarc
Can anyone give a rough, general idea as to how long it takes for a visa to be granted after the application process? I'm applying for general skilled migration and my qualifications are currently being assessed. I know this takes 10 - 12 weeks. I'm sure it's different depending on circumstances, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience on how long it took for them.

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere. I'm new to this.
Hi, ours has taken 2 years to the date almost, but we took 6 months doing my paper for the Aus computer society, so therefore 18 months really.

I've seen people on here that seem to have got it done in 6 months, now idea how ! There were delays when we applied, that DIMIA seem to have sorted, but these only cost us about 3 months.

I would be interested to know how the 6 monthers managed it.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys

I would be interested to know how the 6 monthers managed it.

I'd be more interested to know how you managed 2 years!!!!! :scared:

Ok..you've explained that 6 months was for doing ACS exam.

Where did the other 18 months go?

Are you MODL or Non MODL.

What date did you submit your actual visa application. When did you do your meds/submit your police checks.

How long after you submitted your visa application did yo uget a request for medicals or find out you had a case officer?

Thanks
TC
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I'd be more interested to know how you managed 2 years!!!!! :scared:

Ok..you've explained that 6 months was for doing ACS exam.

Where did the other 18 months go?

Are you MODL or Non MODL.

What date did you submit your actual visa application. When did you do your meds/submit your police checks.

How long after you submitted your visa application did yo uget a request for medicals or find out you had a case officer?

Thanks
TC
Started it all around Feb 2005. I think the actual application finally went in June 2006 by the time it got there. We spent 3 months doing references etc, but it was all finalised and an acknowledgement from Dimia June 2005.

Non MODL.

We front loaded police reports October 2005. Meds requested March 2006, investment stuff done May 2005. We are now sending new police reports, as we want to go in November, but essentially it is all done now, and once they are back, we will get our pink slip.

Is this a long time then ? We were told there were delays in the June and July 2005 submissions.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Started it all around Feb 2005. I think the actual application finally went in June 2006 by the time it got there. We spent 3 months doing references etc, but it was all finalised and an acknowledgement from Dimia June 2005.

Non MODL.

We front loaded police reports October 2005. Meds requested March 2006, investment stuff done May 2005. We are now sending new police reports, as we want to go in November, but essentially it is all done now, and once they are back, we will get our pink slip.

Is this a long time then ? We were told there were delays in the June and July 2005 submissions.
Sorry, spot the obvious mistake with June 2006 in the first paragraph, D'oh ! Submitted and acknowledged June 2005
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:27 am
Just Joined

deadfingers is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I am also new to this but what are peoples chances of getting the skilled migration visa? I have done some back ground checks and I seem to have 120 points needed. Is now a matter of just applying and waiting or is it a lottery or is a quota number that they reach each year? Also would 12 months be an average time to get a visa?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

paulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by deadfingers
Sorry I am also new to this but what are peoples chances of getting the skilled migration visa? I have done some back ground checks and I seem to have 120 points needed. Is now a matter of just applying and waiting or is it a lottery or is a quota number that they reach each year? Also would 12 months be an average time to get a visa?
OH went for skilled migration visa back in October, got visa in March. Started process May 05 with an agent, TRA went off by the summer. Luckily no problems with anything at all so Visa application was sent to DIMIA in October.
The agents helped us to get things done quickly as OH was turning 40 in December and we needed application sent off before then, otherwise he would have lost 5 points (needed them to get the 120 in total). We did pay for it though. Guess we paid in total, including TRA fees and visa application, £5,000. :scared:
Cost a lot of money but at the end of the day we got what we wanted. House is now sold and are hoping to be there early in September.
If you have the points and you can prove your skill then there's no reason not to get a visa. If you decide to do it by yourself just make sure you double check everything and find as much info ref the skill you have, as i've read many times on this forum how people have had problems with their TRA applications being rejected.

hope this helps a bit. Its all very mind boggling at the stage your at (we remember it only too well). Also it seems a hell of a long process, but if its what you want then go for it.

All the very best.
Paula.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on www.austimeline.com for the lastest (and old) timelines.

Ours was started in September 04, finally got all the TRA stuff sent off in Feb 05, passed that after 12 weeks, (now taking about 10 days!!). Visa application was sent August 05 and visa was granted 4th January 06

16 months start to finish
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:44 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

My visa application was accepted May 25th. Im Class BN Subclass 136 Skilled Independent. Im non MODL. From the letter I had with the acknowledgement letter they are / were currently checking papers from 17th - 21st October 2005.

I think I'm in for a long wait !!!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcopolo
My visa application was accepted May 25th. Im Class BN Subclass 136 Skilled Independent. Im non MODL. From the letter I had with the acknowledgement letter they are / were currently checking papers from 17th - 21st October 2005.

I think I'm in for a long wait !!!
I predict that you'll get it by December
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:51 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Just checked [email protected] and its now .......

Non-Priority Applications: In the range of 19 October to 1 November 2005

Im a little bit closer
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:52 pm
Visa granted member

Originally Posted by WendyC
I predict that you'll get it by December
I really hope so mate. I feel in limbo over the whole thing. If this was my last Christmas I wanted to go into it knowing where I stand with my future. Would be a bloody good exscuse to have a good old knees up too
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I really hope so mate. I feel in limbo over the whole thing. If this was my last Christmas I wanted to go into it knowing where I stand with my future. Would be a bloody good exscuse to have a good old knees up too
It's full of up and downs this visa thing. But keep busy, do some research on where you want to go, maybe have a holiday somewhere to take your mind off it and before you know it you'll be there.

I only have 12 days left in the UK, and although it seems like years ago when I first applied it has gone quite quickly and in two weeks I'll be on that beach in Adelaide saying thank God that's over
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:03 pm
Visa granted member

Originally Posted by WendyC
It's full of up and downs this visa thing. But keep busy, do some research on where you want to go, maybe have a holiday somewhere to take your mind off it and before you know it you'll be there.

I only have 12 days left in the UK, and although it seems like years ago when I first applied it has gone quite quickly and in two weeks I'll be on that beach in Adelaide saying thank God that's over
Im going to Portugal in a few weeks. So I hope that helps. My agent has told me to wait until my meds and PCCs are requested. But that will put it back a few months. I think I'll tell them that I want to do it regardless of their advice.

I dont know what everyone on here is going to do for advice etc in 12 days time
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Im going to Portugal in a few weeks. So I hope that helps. My agent has told me to wait until my meds and PCCs are requested. But that will put it back a few months. I think I'll tell them that I want to do it regardless of their advice.

I dont know what everyone on here is going to do for advice etc in 12 days time

They have internet access in the caravan park, so I'll pop in a few times before we leave there.

After all we need to find somewhere to live and tax file numbers (that's what I'll tell my OH, Shhhhh )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.