Reload this Page >

How long do you have?

How long do you have?

Old Jun 5th 2002, 10:06 am
Just Joined

izzyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do you have?

Hi
I would like to know how long you have to leave the UK once you have heard from the DIMA that your visa has been approved?
Any answers?
Thanks,
Izzy
Old Jun 5th 2002, 10:26 am
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long do you have?

Generally you have 12 months from the *earlier* of your police checks and medicals to make your *first* entry on a PR visa. This is often only about 9 months from the date you actually get the visa. Many people just take a short holiday.

The visa is then valid for five years from the date the visa was *granted*, but to take full advantage you need to actually move within about three years (unless you clock up two years of actual residence in Oz, you can't get a residents return visa, which is what you need to get back into Oz if you leave Oz after the expiry date of the PR visa, even for a few days.)

jsg
Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I thought the Police Certs and Medicals were actually only valid for 6 months but were extended to one year because of the delays in processing....might be wrong but I am sure this is the case.
Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:21 pm
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, various web sites seem to indicate that it's 12 months. (I think the extensions were to allow the medicals to be valid *beyond* 12 months.) Example: http://australianz.topcities.com/prgeneral.htm. Also, http://www.dimia.gov.au/faq/general/general03.htm says "If you have completed a health examination in the last twelve months you may not need to undertake a fresh examination if the visa processing office can confirm the details, substance and date of the earlier reports."

jsg
Old Jun 5th 2002, 9:21 pm
Jaj

It's usually 12 months. But London has extended the validity of some medicals that
were submitted in advance by skilled applicants (at London's request) before waiting
times blew out. The extension is up to 2 years for clear medicals.

However, this is a policy concession specific to the circumstances of London. Skilled
offshore applicants to Adelaide should not do medicals in advance.

Jeremy

On 5 Jun 2002 13:20:24 GMT, jsg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, various web sites seem to indicate that it's 12 months. (I think the
    >extensions were to allow the medicals to be valid *beyond* 12 months.) Example:
    >http://australianz.topcities.com/prgeneral.htm.[/url] Also,
    >]http://www.dimia.gov.au/faq/general/general03.htm says "If you have completed a
    >health examination in the last twelve months you may not need to undertake a fresh
    >examination if the visa processing office can confirm the details, substance and
    >date of the earlier reports."
    >
    >jsg