Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Cheers Pen - I notice that the new 'lot' are now charging 35 quid for standard service, as opposed to the 10 that I paid.

I will give them a call when the time is right.

S
For 35 quid you apparently get a 48 hour turn round Why another 25 quid gets you a faster service I have no idea. Just a money making scheme methinks
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tabby
Have just been on the phone to IMMI and have been told that my app for Citizenship will take 3-4 months to process the 2 page application :curse:

This seems crazy to me as I have already sat the test ,they then said that I can expect it to be at least 9 months till i get a ceremony date .

What sort of timeline do people have from having sat the test put in the app to ceremony ?

Martin
Nov: Test
Dec: Applied
Jan: Citizenship Ceremony

But I applied in Cairns and it really does depend on where you are. I have heard that there can be a fairly long wait for Ceremonies in the larger cities.

Sue
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get mine - I had to get a police certificate from the UK, so I sent off my 10 quid before Christmas, and it still hasn't come! They claim that they sent it on the 6th of January, but it hasn't arrived, and now neither has the second copy they sent.

Getting really frustrating, and the regional force I had to apply through has been next to useless in helping. My citizenship application has been sat pending the arrival of my police check for weeks now.

S
I had to get a UK police clearance. I had them send it back to me "sign for". cost a little extra but worth it. I also got an extra copy the same time.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:56 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Have you done the test yet? I'm taking mine on Friday, will hopefully manage to study before then!
I haven't been here two years yet, only in June will two years be up.

I thought I had to wait until two years done then apply ?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brisben
I haven't been here two years yet, only in June will two years be up.

I thought I had to wait until two years done then apply ?
You have to wait 2 years to apply for citizenship, but you can do the test as early as you want. You have to have passed the test BEFORE you apply for citizenship. You can't apply without it, so you're best to get booking it now!

When I booked my test there was about a 2 month wait to get in. I booked it in early February and the first available date was the first week of March. The Gold Coast was a lot faster though if you don't mind driving down there.

So if you're eligible around the same time as me then I'd be called ASAP to book the test date. If the wait is still today then you'd be looking at doing your test sometime at the beginning of May. So I wouldn't put off booking the test too much longer.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:33 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big IP
sorry love being in Aussie, but once a Brit always a Brit, i am a firm believer, that you can live where you like, but once you are born in a place there what you are.
But if you became an Australian citizen, that wouldn't make you any less British (either legally — you would retain your British citizenship — or in terms of your own thinking — unless you decide that it will).
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

submitted paperwork on 05/09/2008. We are having our ceremony today 03/03/2009 at 1730 in Rockingham WA
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

You have to wait 2 years to apply for citizenship, but you can do the test as early as you want. You have to have passed the test BEFORE you apply for citizenship. You can't apply without it, so you're best to get booking it now!

When I booked my test there was about a 2 month wait to get in. I booked it in early February and the first available date was the first week of March. The Gold Coast was a lot faster though if you don't mind driving down there.

So if you're eligible around the same time as me then I'd be called ASAP to book the test date. If the wait is still today then you'd be looking at doing your test sometime at the beginning of May. So I wouldn't put off booking the test too much longer.
called on 11 of Feb to see if we are eligible, she said I can book you in for your test on 23 of Feb, 3 of us did the test we all all passed with flying colours & that was in Brisbane office.

I cant believe there was 2 month wait for you to get in, I hope everything else with my application goes as fast my test.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Have just spoke to the Brissie office and the reason it takes an avarage of 3 months is once they recive your app they send off to the Fedral police for a check and this can take 2 months or more

Martin
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
called on 11 of Feb to see if we are eligible, she said I can book you in for your test on 23 of Feb, 3 of us did the test we all all passed with flying colours & that was in Brisbane office.

I cant believe there was 2 month wait for you to get in, I hope everything else with my application goes as fast my test.
Interesting..... I called on January 13th and the first openings were almost 2 months away. But then I was had to have it on a Tuesday or Friday because my son is in daycare. Even still though the appointment I ended up making was only about a week after their first available spot. I think the first sport was the last couple days of February. I was only booking for myself too.

So, I can only assume that someone cancelled their appointment. I can't see any other reason why they had an opening only 10 days away. Good for you though!

I'm in no rush, I just need to pass the test before June.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:21 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kindly sir, I will go for it now.

Goldie no problem, nice cruise through mt cotton.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The majority of applications are processed within 3 months, and at least half within 1 month.

After approval the wait for a citizenship ceremony can be anywhere from 2-8 months in the majority of cases. Depends on how good your council is at doing ceremonies.

So for most, between 3-9 months. It would be unusual to be processed any quicker or slower.
Try doing it from outside Australia like me. I applied as soon as the law changed in 2007 to allow the discretion for spouses living overseas. It's been almost two years for me from when I first sent the application in. My citizenship has now been granted but I have yet to be given a date for the ceremony to confirm it. It makes a bit of a mockery of the two year eligibility time when you have to add another two years processing time.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by etlniwd
Try doing it from outside Australia like me. I applied as soon as the law changed in 2007 to allow the discretion for spouses living overseas. It's been almost two years for me from when I first sent the application in. My citizenship has now been granted but I have yet to be given a date for the ceremony to confirm it. It makes a bit of a mockery of the two year eligibility time when you have to add another two years processing time.
Unclear why it took so long, but the answer may be a mix of:

- this is a very new provision and it may have taken DIAC time to get ready to deal with such cases; and
- your file may have been lost.

Your case is not comparable to the standard case of a migrant applying. Incidentally, you are not an Australian citizen yet, until you attend the ceremony.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
Have just spoke to the Brissie office and the reason it takes an avarage of 3 months is once they recive your app they send off to the Fedral police for a check and this can take 2 months or more

Martin
Or it can be done same day.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Or it can be done same day.
fingers crossed , guy who works for me went from temp to PR and only took 4 days !

Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.