Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Originally Posted by the big IP
sorry love being in Aussie, but once a Brit always a Brit, i am a firm believer, that you can live where you like, but once you are born in a place there what you are.
As has been said on another thread, that is rubbish. It may be valid in terms of where you spent your formative years but where you were born is irrelevant. Hubby was born here and brought up in the UK. He has an Aussie Birth Certificate but is English. Your parents may have been on a long trip to India and you may have been born there. Doesn't make you Indian.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Reevezie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can't see why it would take 3-4 months.

The reason I say that is that you can submit your application there and then in the office after you pass the citizenship test. I sat at the desk for 5 - 10 minutes while they sighted ID docs & entered details into the computer, from that they were able to tell if any additional police checks were required (due to time out of the country).

I did this on Sep 22nd and received a letter dated Sep 23rd saying that the citizenship application was successful.

I'm doubtful that there was any further processing done on the app after I left the DIAC office that day.....so 4 months would really be strange!
Whats a citizenship test?......... (sorry im new lol)
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reevezie
Whats a citizenship test?......... (sorry im new lol)
All explained at http://www.citizenship.gov.au
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

no where you were born and raised is where and what you are, i do not blame people for changing countries i blame the countries for allowing people to do it
Plus as for dual citizenship's don't get me started that is even more of a joke, it's like hedging your bets
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:06 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big IP
no where you were born and raised is where and what you are, i do not blame people for changing countries i blame the countries for allowing people to do it
Plus as for dual citizenship's don't get me started that is even more of a joke, it's like hedging your bets
That seems a very old fashioned opinion! Theres a saying that goes "dont put all your eggs in one basket" theres nothing wrong with having dual citizenship or triple citizenship.

Theres something happening which your possibly not aware of its called globalisation and is often used to refer to economic globalisation, that is, integration of national economies into the international economy through trade, foreign direct investment, capital flows, migration, and the spread of technology. This means that people who work for these global organisations may work, take residence or migrate to any country in which the organisations operate, the children of these people may be raised in a number of countries and the place of birth would be irrelevant to the nationality/ nationality's they take up
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Dear big IP,
My daughter was born in Germany and is being raised by her then British now British/Australian parents, is she British, Australian or German?
Oh, but wait a minute, I was born in UK but spent many years growing up in Germany, as an adult, I also spent many years abroad, so am I actually 'British' in your view? Fortunately though, both my parents were born and bred in UK so the confusion stops there
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

I was born in the Bahamas but also schooled and worked in the UK. now I'll hopefully will be getting Australian citizenship. I see nothing wrong with that. My mother is British, my father is Bahamian and I have family in the Bahamas, UK, Australia and Sweden. I feel blessed.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:32 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Germany to a Zimbabwean father and Irish mother and spent my formative years in quite a few countries (army kid). What does that make me? British passport by birth - Aussie by choice.

Everyone has a different opinion and makes different choices.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:51 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Do you know how often they have ceremonies in Bayside? We'll be applying in June so I'm hoping they have them fairly often.
Ha, I will be applying same time.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brisben
Ha, I will be applying same time.
Have you done the test yet? I'm taking mine on Friday, will hopefully manage to study before then!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
Fantastic thanks, I had a quick look there but couldn't find anything. Must not have looked hard enough!

I'll give them a ring during the week and see what they say

every 12 weeks , next one is 07.04.09

Martin
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:37 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tabby
every 12 weeks , next one is 07.04.09

Martin
Excellent, thanks. That's not too bad. I completely forgot to call!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The majority of applications are processed within 3 months, and at least half within 1 month.

After approval the wait for a citizenship ceremony can be anywhere from 2-8 months in the majority of cases. Depends on how good your council is at doing ceremonies.

So for most, between 3-9 months. It would be unusual to be processed any quicker or slower.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get mine - I had to get a police certificate from the UK, so I sent off my 10 quid before Christmas, and it still hasn't come! They claim that they sent it on the 6th of January, but it hasn't arrived, and now neither has the second copy they sent.

Getting really frustrating, and the regional force I had to apply through has been next to useless in helping. My citizenship application has been sat pending the arrival of my police check for weeks now.

S
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get mine - I had to get a police certificate from the UK, so I sent off my 10 quid before Christmas, and it still hasn't come! They claim that they sent it on the 6th of January, but it hasn't arrived, and now neither has the second copy they sent.

Getting really frustrating, and the regional force I had to apply through has been next to useless in helping. My citizenship application has been sat pending the arrival of my police check for weeks now.

S
Give NSY a ring on +44 20 7161 3500 between 9 - 5 their time or email them - [email protected]. Your regional people won't know. I can only imagine there's a delay because now they are 'supposed' to be done via this lot. No excuse, the old one should still be accepted as the new one is still on trial
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:09 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Give NSY a ring on +44 20 7161 3500 between 9 - 5 their time or email them - [email protected]. Your regional people won't know. I can only imagine there's a delay because now they are 'supposed' to be done via this lot. No excuse, the old one should still be accepted as the new one is still on trial

Cheers Pen - I notice that the new 'lot' are now charging 35 quid for standard service, as opposed to the 10 that I paid.

I will give them a call when the time is right.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.