Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

Have just been on the phone to IMMI and have been told that my app for Citizenship will take 3-4 months to process the 2 page application :curse:

This seems crazy to me as I have already sat the test ,they then said that I can expect it to be at least 9 months till i get a ceremony date .

What sort of timeline do people have from having sat the test put in the app to ceremony ?

Martin
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Did Your Citzenship Take ?

The majority of applications are processed within 3 months, and at least half within 1 month.

After approval the wait for a citizenship ceremony can be anywhere from 2-8 months in the majority of cases. Depends on how good your council is at doing ceremonies.

So for most, between 3-9 months. It would be unusual to be processed any quicker or slower.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
The majority of applications are processed within 3 months, and at least half within 1 month.

After approval the wait for a citizenship ceremony can be anywhere from 2-8 months in the majority of cases. Depends on how good your council is at doing ceremonies.

So for most, between 3-9 months. It would be unusual to be processed any quicker or slower.

Thanks
The reason I phoned them is because the lady at my council said there should be no problem in making the next ceremony on 7th April , fingers crossed I spose'
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:50 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I applied on October 28th 2008 having passed the test. I found out I had been accepted on Dec 8th 2008. There was no room in the Jan 26th ceremony, so I will take the oath on March 20th. So that's 5 months I guess!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see why it would take 3-4 months.

The reason I say that is that you can submit your application there and then in the office after you pass the citizenship test. I sat at the desk for 5 - 10 minutes while they sighted ID docs & entered details into the computer, from that they were able to tell if any additional police checks were required (due to time out of the country).

I did this on Sep 22nd and received a letter dated Sep 23rd saying that the citizenship application was successful.

I'm doubtful that there was any further processing done on the app after I left the DIAC office that day.....so 4 months would really be strange!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:51 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Passed the test just before christmas and lodged the application the same day. I have the ceremony 20 March so approx 3 months from application to ceremony.

Hi tking is yours at the city hall? you'll have to say hello.

Originally Posted by tking
Hi I applied on October 28th 2008 having passed the test. I found out I had been accepted on Dec 8th 2008. There was no room in the Jan 26th ceremony, so I will take the oath on March 20th. So that's 5 months I guess!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I arrived in Australia on 5 Sep 06, applied for my citizenship 3 months later and had my ceremony on Australia Day 2007. From application submitted to Ceremony was around 1 month.

Sometimes it's good to live near Darwin (Actually it's always good)
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:50 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tabby
Thanks
The reason I phoned them is because the lady at my council said there should be no problem in making the next ceremony on 7th April , fingers crossed I spose'
Do you know how often they have ceremonies in Bayside? We'll be applying in June so I'm hoping they have them fairly often.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

5 weeks from test to ceremony. Have to keep rubbing it in, sorry
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Do you know how often they have ceremonies in Bayside? We'll be applying in June so I'm hoping they have them fairly often.
Just worked my way through your council's very clunky web site and finally found that they do five a year. The number they quote for citizenship ceremony advice is 3829 8288.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
5 weeks from test to ceremony. Have to keep rubbing it in, sorry
Where about on the GC did you get it done? We will probably be going for ours in a couple of months.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:38 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just worked my way through your council's very clunky web site and finally found that they do five a year. The number they quote for citizenship ceremony advice is 3829 8288.
Fantastic thanks, I had a quick look there but couldn't find anything. Must not have looked hard enough!

I'll give them a ring during the week and see what they say
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Where about on the GC did you get it done? We will probably be going for ours in a couple of months.
The test at Southport DIAC office and the ceremony at the Gold Coast Arts Centre - one of their function rooms. It was good because as they do one every month there are not loads of people so you're not sitting waiting for ages for your chance to step on to the podium to meet the lovely Ron Clark

I think they are all held there unless you get an Aus Day one when they use other places up and down the coast.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

I didn't need to take a test. I just submitted mine (form 118) last week Friday. I see they say it takes like 3 months average. however I was able to submit mine through Canada so hopefully they don't get as many applications as other places. hopefully will know something soon.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

sorry love being in Aussie, but once a Brit always a Brit, i am a firm believer, that you can live where you like, but once you are born in a place there what you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.