Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did you spend away from OH/kids?

How long did you spend away from OH/kids?

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:28 am
👽

Hel83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long did you spend away from OH/kids?

Hi,
For anyone who's spent time away from immediate family; if you moved out to Australia first (eg to start a job), and your husband/wife and kids followed at a later date...
How long did you spend on your own before they came out to join you?
Are you glad you went alone first? Or do you regret leaving them behind?
Or are you the one who was left behind? Was it a joint decision or were you upset that you had to wait to go and join them?...
I'm not looking for any specific answers! Just a general feeling on the decision you made and if it was the right one!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:38 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all
Default Re: How long did you spend away from OH/kids?

Originally Posted by Hel83
Hi,
For anyone who's spent time away from immediate family; if you moved out to Australia first (eg to start a job), and your husband/wife and kids followed at a later date...
Or are you the one who was left behind? Was it a joint decision or were you upset that you had to wait to go and join them?...
I'm not looking for any specific answers! Just a general feeling on the decision you made and if it was the right one!

Thanks in advance
For us, Hubby came out on his own first. We decided it would be cheaper, easier without the kids and far more productive for him to be on his own. He works away anyway so in his month off he came to Oz and had a really good look around, saw schools and applied that way when the kids and I came we just attended the interviews and decided which one. He bought a house too! Unfortunately we had to pull out of the sale. When we came out he had done so much of the ground work and it was easier for the kids and I.

Worked out that we didn't see him for 3 months as he left us went to work for a month then came to Oz in his time off then back to work. Didn't find it too bad as we're used to him being away.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:41 am
👽

Thanks for your reply, what we're doing is similar to how you made your move so it's good to hear its worked out for you!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I came out 4 days before Mr BS as I had to start work straight away. I always feel sorry that we were not able to make the journey together and didn't spend those first few days together. If you can come together, and I know it isn't possible for everyone, I recommend coming together.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hel83
Hi,

Thanks in advance
I came out about 3 months before my wife and son. I loved it. It was like being single again - in the pub every night, partying on weekends, eating takeaway all the time. Fantastic, although I have never been allowed to forget that my wife stayed behind to pack up the house and shut down our life over there - I still get all the sob stories about packing boxes until midnight, stress etc. Despite all this my family came out to find job/house/car sorted - everyone was a winner.

The decision to come early was a joint one. I'd finished a contract with Network Rail and was not in the mood to look for another. At the time I was getting calls from agents in Australia asking when I was moving over as there was so much work available, so I came over first.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I came out about 3 months before my wife and son. I loved it. It was like being single again - in the pub every night, partying on weekends, eating takeaway all the time. Fantastic, although I have never been allowed to forget that my wife stayed behind to pack up the house and shut down our life over there - I still get all the sob stories about packing boxes until midnight, stress etc. Despite all this my family came out to find job/house/car sorted - everyone was a winner.

The decision to come early was a joint one. I'd finished a contract with Network Rail and was not in the mood to look for another. At the time I was getting calls from agents in Australia asking when I was moving over as there was so much work available, so I came over first.
That's exactly what we did too. In fact with all 3 international moves we have done that both out of the UK and back to the UK. Worked out the best for us.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:49 am
👽

Thanks for all the replys-much appreciated!

Last edited by Hel83; Apr 1st 2012 at 6:50 am. Reason: Spelling!