Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take for your container to clear customs?

How long did it take for your container to clear customs?

Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of
Default How long did it take for your container to clear customs?

Container arrived on the 18th January, wondered how long it took for your things to clear.............I want my bed!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take for your container to clear customs?

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Container arrived on the 18th January, wondered how long it took for your things to clear.............I want my bed!
Ours arrived 14th Jan; told it is due to go through customs on either 29th Jan or 4th Feb (apparently a Christmas backlog!)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Hey - your in Perth then you can just wait in line until mine has been done

Container arrived Fremantle on Jan 1stm 2008
"Due" to been seen by AQIS either Wed 30th Jan or Fri 1st Feb (however they only visit the agent twice a week for 1 hour at a time and if they go over then everything else gets put back). I've to phone MIM tomorrow as they'll have a better idea as to which day it will be.

Electronic Clearance gets sent to the agent 3 days after inspection and providing goods are "cleared" your shipping agent arrange a delivery date.

Beware tho, we've heard some pretty weird things such as:

Fake Christmas tree with plastic pine cones - AQIS wanted it treating - FGS there plastic !!

We also know a bloke who's goods were shipped in Sept 2007 from Glasgow area by Pickfords and he only got his goods delivered on Friday last week (25th Jan). He's had loads of things broken such as his big TV, microwave and some other stuff.

So if your in Perth you may be waiting a little longer.....

We need our stuff urgently cause we've got my wife's parents and an aunt coming the 2nd week in Feb and at the moment there's no beds for them to sleep on. If we tell them to cancel them that'll cost them their flights (she did tell her dad not to book the flights but he didn't listen and booked anyway !). Plus we've hired a washing machine, fridge and TV for a month and that ends on Wednesday, if we need the goods for another month that's another $200 to fork out but they've said they may do us a deal for a few days if needed.

At least we have our bed and a sofa-bed for our son as these were things we planned to buy when we got here anyway (wife's wanted a Queen-sized bed for years and we needed a sofa-bed for the games room).
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Ours only took a few weeks (that was early dec) and they did a go look at it too. things like xmas decs were taken and destroyed (no point paying a fortune to have them treated), candles a no, no - even though when i unpacked they'd missed some , and also our son's hornby train set had a good rummage and bits of 'moss' or rather scenery scrubs were removed.

Hope you get it soon. feels like xmas when it arrives and all your familiar stuff is here. Thought we'd done a good job getting rid of junk, but still have boxes full (now in the shed) to sort out

Karen
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
Ours only took a few weeks (that was early dec) and they did a go look at it too. things like xmas decs were taken and destroyed (no point paying a fortune to have them treated), candles a no, no - even though when i unpacked they'd missed some , and also our son's hornby train set had a good rummage and bits of 'moss' or rather scenery scrubs were removed.

Hope you get it soon. feels like xmas when it arrives and all your familiar stuff is here. Thought we'd done a good job getting rid of junk, but still have boxes full (now in the shed) to sort out

Karen
That's seriously picky - nothing wrong with candles, they usually get in with no problem, but if they went for artificial moss and stuff you might have got the same crew that destroyed my hat for having plastic seeds on it They let my candles through though.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

Our container arrive Brissie on 14th Dec arrive with us last weds 23/1. Thoroughly checked and as yet only a few breakages. only 4 more boxes to check.

Jane
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took about 2 weeks from the ship docking in Sydney to being delieverd to our door - but I think thats quicker than normal.

Our shippers listed one box simply as 'Snowman'. This had been well inspected, probably they wondered why it had not melted since leaving England. (It was a plastic Christmas light up snowman for the garden)..!

Everying else mentioning shoes, garden, tools, etc had also been opened. But everything arrived undamaged and working...

AND my UK fridge that many told me not to bring, works better than my Oz fridge !
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farrierswife
Our container arrived at Port Adelaide on the 1st January 2008 and was delivered 17th January 2008. So not too bad I thought considering the time of year.

AQIS assessed one bike, one box of shoes, one christmas tree, one box of christmas decs and a box of Bec's hairdressing equipment. No issues though.

Comments regarding the candles - yes not usually a problem but AQIS do look occasionally. Apparently, candles made of Bees wax can cause issues.

Chris
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisk8
Our container arrived at Port Adelaide on the 1st January 2008 and was delivered 17th January 2008. So not too bad I thought considering the time of year.

AQIS assessed one bike, one box of shoes, one christmas tree, one box of christmas decs and a box of Bec's hairdressing equipment. No issues though.

Comments regarding the candles - yes not usually a problem but AQIS do look occasionally. Apparently, candles made of Bees wax can cause issues.

Chris
Thanks for that, ours is in at Melbourne, another week and a half yet to go apparantly:{
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisk8

Chris
Yeah I guess the beeswax thing makes sense. Ordinary ones wouldn't be an issue :0
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Well, phoned MIM for an update today and was told container being looked at next week. Pointed out that I was told last week that it would be looked at today or Friday, feeling I was being messed around I spoke to the manager who advised me that they found Ivory in a shipment from South Africa that had not been declared - so they do a 100% search (open every box).

This meant that our's has been pushed back, still got peeps coming on 10th Dec and so far they have no beds to sleep on !

Manager @ MIM has said that it should be looked at Monday next week and we'd have our good (all things being good & well) on Wednesday 6th Feb - but i'm not holding my breath !