Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long did it take you to find a rental on arrival ?

how long did it take you to find a rental on arrival ?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all
Default how long did it take you to find a rental on arrival ?

just wondering, we have a holiday rental for 3wks on the Goldcoast/broadbeach for when we arrive,
is this long enough ? or would we need to book longer,all we would like is a nice 3 bed house/appt ect preferable if had pool and then when settled in there the next plan is to buy land to build or buy the property,im not sure if the 3wks on arrival is long enough as from what ive been reading rentals are very hard to get hold off and if so then ive got the chance to book another week,
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long did it take you to find a rental on arrival ?

Hi 3 weeks is fine, when you arrive have a couple of days to get your bearings and then start your rental search. I have done it 3 times now, twice when we came to perth and once in adelaide. The best way is to find a internet cafe near your accomadation and look on www.domain.com.au or realestate.com.au find some propertys you like the look of and give the agent a call.

Over here they often arrange viewing days, so you have to go to those, most agents wont let you come and pickup keys and view a property straight away. They tend to have days where several intrested people go along to, but they tend to have them every few days.

Build up a list of estate agents youspeak to and their addresses, ask when calling if they have any other similer propertys. In my experience they are not very forth comming so the best thing to do is drive to their offices and on the front desk they will have printed lists of all propertys for you to take away.

So start on the net, build up a list of agents, drive to their offices and once you have these lists go drive to the house and see what its like from the outside. If its good (and many arent) call the agent and find out when it can be viewed.
Its very exhausting but you can get maybe 3 or 4 viewed a day if you can get the timing right.

Once you have decided which you like, at each viewing the agent will give you an application form, get it filled in and back to them asap. Now depending on the agent and the circumstances it may take only a couple of days to process and you then get the keys. Easy as that.

The only times I have found there is a delay is if the agent has to send your application to the owner who then takes a week to decide before saying yes or no.
If there is a delay like that just carry on viewing propertys until you know for sure if you have it.

I have moved several times now and each time we have had about a week of looking, a couple of days to get approved and got the keys by the end of the second week or start of the third.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

2 days for rental in Arundel, GC and then another 1 day to furnish a 3 bedroom gaff (with pool) before hubby started work

The first day was spent making enquiries, be prepared for lots of "taken" "yep that ones gone" "just let that one" etc... and we viewed some awful places, one was like someones shed (at this point we upped our price range, oh yeah and I cried ) They are out there but you've got to be quick and prepared to say yes rather than quibble about things. If you've got a view to buy (like us) sooner rather than later then think of it as a liveable base rather than your home. In saying that our rental is gorgeous, a bit of luxury before the reality of a mortgage hits us, and we realise we actually bought that shed to live in!

Don't forget you can always book in at the many serviced holiday apartments that are around. A bit more than you would pay in rent per week but its do-able, just in case you're worrying about timings getting a bit tight!

Last edited by Stella340; Aug 9th 2007 at 4:48 am.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dave99
Hi 3 weeks is fine, when you arrive have a couple of days to get your bearings and then start your rental search. I have done it 3 times now, twice when we came to perth and once in adelaide. The best way is to find a internet cafe near your accomadation and look on www.domain.com.au or realestate.com.au find some propertys you like the look of and give the agent a call.

Over here they often arrange viewing days, so you have to go to those, most agents wont let you come and pickup keys and view a property straight away. They tend to have days where several intrested people go along to, but they tend to have them every few days.

Build up a list of estate agents youspeak to and their addresses, ask when calling if they have any other similer propertys. In my experience they are not very forth comming so the best thing to do is drive to their offices and on the front desk they will have printed lists of all propertys for you to take away.

So start on the net, build up a list of agents, drive to their offices and once you have these lists go drive to the house and see what its like from the outside. If its good (and many arent) call the agent and find out when it can be viewed.
Its very exhausting but you can get maybe 3 or 4 viewed a day if you can get the timing right.

Once you have decided which you like, at each viewing the agent will give you an application form, get it filled in and back to them asap. Now depending on the agent and the circumstances it may take only a couple of days to process and you then get the keys. Easy as that.

The only times I have found there is a delay is if the agent has to send your application to the owner who then takes a week to decide before saying yes or no.
If there is a delay like that just carry on viewing propertys until you know for sure if you have it.

I have moved several times now and each time we have had about a week of looking, a couple of days to get approved and got the keys by the end of the second week or start of the third.

Hope this helps
thanks dave,very helpful
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stella340
2 days for rental in Arundel, GC and then another 1 day to furnish a 3 bedroom gaff (with pool) before hubby started work

The first day was spent making enquiries, be prepared for lots of "taken" "yep that ones gone" "just let that one" etc... and we viewed some awful places, one was like someones shed (at this point we upped our price range, oh yeah and I cried ) They are out there but you've got to be quick and prepared to say yes rather than quibble about things. If you've got a view to buy (like us) sooner rather than later then think of it as a liveable base rather than your home. In saying that our rental is gorgeous, a bit of luxury before the reality of a mortgage hits us, and we realise we actually bought that shed to live in!

Don't forget you can always book in at the many serviced holiday apartments that are around. A bit more than you would pay in rent per week but its do-able, just in case you're worrying about timings getting a bit tight!
oh thanks stella thats a good idea about the holiday rental,thanks
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We booked a serviced apartment for three weeks on arrival. As it worked out we negotiated to leave a few days early as we had found a rental. Like someone else mentioned, we had to up our budget (Sydney) when we saw what was available but the place was found is lovely. Three weeks would seem to be to be about right - obviously if you can negotiate flexibility about leaving early or extending all the better.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We booked a serviced apartment for three weeks on arrival. As it worked out we negotiated to leave a few days early as we had found a rental. Like someone else mentioned, we had to up our budget (Sydney) when we saw what was available but the place was found is lovely. Three weeks would seem to be to be about right - obviously if you can negotiate flexibility about leaving early or extending all the better.
oh thanks, i can relax now as i thought i havent left nough time for ourselves
thanks
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sarahlou
oh thanks, i can relax now as i thought i havent left nough time for ourselves
thanks
Excellent advice guys! Many thanks, I'll be doing the search in October!

I will add that, if you have a pet, like I do, things will be a lot tougher. This site has a pet-friendly section though, and a lot of nice-sounding rentals.

http://www.seqrents.com.au/

Q