Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take between job offer and moving?

How long did it take between job offer and moving?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of
Default How long did it take between job offer and moving?

My husband and I applied for quite a few jobs in Australia, making it clear in our application that we were requiring 457 visa sponsorship. In the last week I've had three reponses (two from agencies who are handling the vacancies I applied for and one from a direct employer). I have had two telephone interviews so far and have been advised that no employer expects you to be in Oz next week (because if they want you soon they wont even consider 457) and therefore if companies are happy to sponsor, then they understand the time it takes and as such to have a plan of 3 - 4 months to get over there is acceptable for those jobs that arent of an urgent nature.

I wondered how long it took folks currently on 457 (or other for that matter) between getting their job offer and eventually moving out. I have heard that 457 can take 12 weeks or more but also less????

I have to say I didnt expect any response from Oz really - so am quite pleased to have spoken to some folks that seem interested to at least set up a telephone interview.

Interested to hear how it worked out for you..... thanks for any assistance you can give
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice
Default Re: How long did it take between job offer and moving?

Originally Posted by ukmouse
My husband and I applied for quite a few jobs in Australia, making it clear in our application that we were requiring 457 visa sponsorship. In the last week I've had three reponses (two from agencies who are handling the vacancies I applied for and one from a direct employer). I have had two telephone interviews so far and have been advised that no employer expects you to be in Oz next week (because if they want you soon they wont even consider 457) and therefore if companies are happy to sponsor, then they understand the time it takes and as such to have a plan of 3 - 4 months to get over there is acceptable for those jobs that arent of an urgent nature.

I wondered how long it took folks currently on 457 (or other for that matter) between getting their job offer and eventually moving out. I have heard that 457 can take 12 weeks or more but also less????

I have to say I didnt expect any response from Oz really - so am quite pleased to have spoken to some folks that seem interested to at least set up a telephone interview.

Interested to hear how it worked out for you..... thanks for any assistance you can give
Hi UKMouse - we were almost a year from being offered the job/signing contract - we came on a 119 state sponsored visa - whether this makes a difference I am not too sure - we were already going through the 175 process and changed as it was quicker for the 119. Anyway our visa took approx 12 weeks to go through - we used an agent as well. Not too sure if this helps but good luck with it all.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info Faircity.. appreciate your help.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:04 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I also came on 119 RSMS visa. Got confirmed job offer on 5th September 2008, visa granted 15th October 2008. Flew out on 1st December.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Excellent.. gosh that was a decent turn around wasnt it. And how's it turned out for you
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:58 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmouse
Excellent.. gosh that was a decent turn around wasnt it. And how's it turned out for you

Its turned out awesome. Living the dream in fact. Halfway through my first return trip to UK at the moment and whilst I was worried about coming back so soon I have to say it has really confirmed in my mind that I made the right decision to move to Aus.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent... so glad its turned out well. Thanks for your help...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Its turned out awesome. Living the dream in fact. Halfway through my first return trip to UK at the moment and whilst I was worried about coming back so soon I have to say it has really confirmed in my mind that I made the right decision to move to Aus.
We are the same not in the UK but loving it out here and only been here for a couple of months but feels like home already - good luck UKMouse hope it goes as well for you as it has for us.