Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long can I drive in VIC on my EC driver's license?

How long can I drive in VIC on my EC driver's license?

Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default How long can I drive in VIC on my EC driver's license?

I have a regular EC driver's license (and a US one, but that probably doesn't count here ) and wondered how long I can use it to drive on, in VIC.

People have told me varying things: from 'no need to get a VIC one' to 'you have to get it within 3 months - or take your driving test again'.

I *think* you have 3 months from the date of arrival in VIC to take the theory test - after that, you have to take the practical one as well.

Any confirmation, anyone?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long can I drive in VIC on my EC driver's license?

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I have a regular EC driver's license (and a US one, but that probably doesn't count here ) and wondered how long I can use it to drive on, in VIC.

People have told me varying things: from 'no need to get a VIC one' to 'you have to get it within 3 months - or take your driving test again'.

I *think* you have 3 months from the date of arrival in VIC to take the theory test - after that, you have to take the practical one as well.

Cheers,
Anya.

Yes I believe it is 3 Months Anya & the test is very easy as long as you read up on your Vic Roads book. Its those bloody tram questions that are a pain.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:11 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Cheers,
Anya.

Yup pretty certain three months, found this little gem the other day, you can actually do a mock test with it, I passed and I know very little about Australian Driving regs etc

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...est/index.html

PS only applies to NSW.

Paul J
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly there is no such thing as an 'EC' driving licence. Whether you have to take the practical test again depends on what *country* issued your driving licence. Information is on the VicRoads website.

Cheers,
Anya.
You need to get a Vic drivers licence within that time period if you have Australian citizenship, PR or NZ citizenship. If you're only a temp resident you may be able to use a *valid* overseas licence for now.

Whether you need to do the practical test or not (to get a Vic licence) depends on what country your licence is from.

In general, it's a good idea to look things up on the relevant official website (eg the VicRoads one) rather than relying on what people tell you - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 9th 2004 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks all - I thought the 3-month thing was correct.

Now gotta rush off & learn how to do hook turns!

Anya.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine after about 6 months and nothing was said.

BUT the reason i did it was that when i applied for my car insurance i was paying $100 bucks extra because i had a UK driving licence and i had 2 weeks to get it sorted otherwise they wouldn't reduce the premium for a year

Good luck Anya. hook turns never came up on mine, but i had a few "learner driver" questions that flumoxed me!!
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:16 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

The rules vary from state to state. I am currently in Aus on a temp visa and i checked with vicroads who said my uk licence is fine to use, but in NSW i could only drive on my uk licence for first three months i was in the country.

Hope this helps.

Nick
Old Sep 11th 2004, 1:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In NSW only permanent residents have to convert before the 3 months is up. In the time period between the end of the 3 months and getting the license one effectively has no drivers license and ones car insurance would be invalid. Members who have turned up at the RTA after the 3 months have had no issues converting although in theory the authorities could demand a road test.

There is a list of countries on the website whose licenses can be converted to a with only a theory test.

In NSW the test is computer based and taken at your RTA office.

www.rta.nsw.gov.au