Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long to book the short term rental for.....?

How long to book the short term rental for.....?

Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:21 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long to book the short term rental for.....?

Seven weeks tomorrow and we will be on our way so thought it was time to sort out some short term accommodation for us.

We are aiming to settle on the Central Coast (around the Terrigal area) and have found a fully furnished three bedroom property which is available for us to book now from 13 September (when we actually arrive in Sydney) through to 8 November.

We have pulled this 2 month period out of thin air really and I was wondering if people thought this was about the right length of time to suss an area out...? Hopefully it will be long enough for us to decide whether we really are happy with the area and to find somewhere that would suit us for the more longer term.

Share your experiences and thoughts here please!

Binbird
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:29 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to book the short term rental for.....?

Originally Posted by binbird
Seven weeks tomorrow and we will be on our way so thought it was time to sort out some short term accommodation for us.

We are aiming to settle on the Central Coast (around the Terrigal area) and have found a fully furnished three bedroom property which is available for us to book now from 13 September (when we actually arrive in Sydney) through to 8 November.

We have pulled this 2 month period out of thin air really and I was wondering if people thought this was about the right length of time to suss an area out...? Hopefully it will be long enough for us to decide whether we really are happy with the area and to find somewhere that would suit us for the more longer term.

Share your experiences and thoughts here please!

Binbird
You could be right but I am hoping to find somewhere in 3 weeks. It doesn't have to be perfectly located so long as it is roughly in the right area. Others seem to have found property in that sort of timescale. We are heading for Perth. Do you think it will be harder in Sydney? It will take longer travelling around viewing I guess?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be staying 2 months in the temporary place, the main reason being that we reckon our stuff will arrive around the time we move into a more permanent place.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:15 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

For me (and you probably Worzel), one of the most important issues will be finding property in the right catchment area for the right school. We are looking at an area an hour plus north of Sydney so are hoping that it will be easier than being in Sydney itself.

And, you're right - the first property needn't be our dream home or even ideally situated, it just needs to be in a position where we can get out easily enough to see all on offer within a sensible radius.

Talking about finding property rather than months of dreaming whilst trawling through real estate sites makes it all seem real at last! I feel like I have been on another planet for the last 6 months plus! It's a funny kind of feeling - not stressful exactly but it does make your head spin! Decisions........decisions!

Binbird
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:16 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
For me (and you probably Worzel), one of the most important issues will be finding property in the right catchment area for the right school.
Good point. I don't have that problem.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:07 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

I know that i can't advise directly as i'm not in Sydney but i can tell you what we advise to clients coming to Perth.

I always advise that you book short term until your container arrives and then 2 weeks more to allow for customs clearance. I also advise sending your container at least 2 weeks before you leave so that you can rent furnished for a shorter time and save some money. 3 weeks should see you find a good rental where you need to be if you have had "on the ground" help before you arrive, or if you arent too fussy or just get lucky, 6 weeks should be ample time to find yourself what you want where you want, you could even buy in that time, (and if schools are so important to you then a 6 month rental will commit you to that area in so far as the kids will be settled so maybe buying straight off is worth considering).

So in short, if you arent too fussy,don't have too many strict criteria to adhere to to and don't mind minimalist living while your stuff arrives then 3 weeks is ample, if you don't see yourself in that category then allow 6. Its true also that if you give yourself too much time you will still end up panicing and messing around at the last minute

Sorry this is probably no help at all.

Lynn
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

For those arriving in Perth and looking for fully furnished accommodation www.northperthrentals.com has NO minimum booking period. Stay for as long or as little as it suits........