Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long before you moved in?

How Long before you moved in?

Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:35 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Long before you moved in?

Just wondering for those who have now bought in Aus how long it took before you actually moved in.

As you know we bought one already from here but I can't really compare that with actually being there.

We are buying another when we arrive and just wondering if we can avoid long term rental!

Cheers

Max x
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: How Long before you moved in?

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Just wondering for those who have now bought in Aus how long it took before you actually moved in.

As you know we bought one already from here but I can't really compare that with actually being there.

We are buying another when we arrive and just wondering if we can avoid long term rental!

Cheers

Max x

I can only comment from buying a property in Perth whilst here in the UK.

We visited the house on a validation trip and had the offer accepted on the 17th April. We settled on the 7th June. It took slightly longer than it would have if were were there because of shipping documents around etc and we were waiting on finance approval. That said there was no chain - us first buyers (effectively) in OZ and they were moving abroad.

Nothing to do with your original question, but just to compare the house buying/selling process in OZ with the UK. In the UK we accepted an offer on our property in February, and we eventually complete on the 12th July!!! Again no chain - first time buyers and people moving abroad (us)

Dave
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Max x
That hateful answer again - it depends! You negotiate when you have agreed a price.

Sometimes the people are selling a rental with tenants and time is agreed to let them move, other times the owner/occupiers have deadlines themselves and are happy to move out quickly.

If it is very important to you, check out the requirements of the people selling the property you like, have they already bought? Do they want a long transfer period? Are there any other factors?

Lucky for us we managed to get a month by month rental agreement on the house we had rented and tied up easily with the six/eight weeks required by our sellers. But we also made sure the properties we looked at had occupancy availability for us quickly.

The chain system of the UK is not well known here in Sydney, and my colleagues in work have a great laugh over my tales of moving out the minute money exchanges hands and a trail of people moving house in vans to the next house! Nice thing about this - the removalists here are much cheaper to use and storage for a few weeks is cheap!

Just ask loads of questions and get it in writing in your contract! If you do decide to have a long period between buying and moving in take Hevs advice and make sure maintenance of the property is in writing/in contract, eg upkeep of gardens/pool removal of unwanted rubbish etc. The previous owner crap we had to remove was unbelieveable!

Also check out contracts carefully if buying a house which was previously rented out - make sure current owners are responsible for cleaning/clearing etc and who is responsible if they do not move out! The estate agent should provide details of course but always nice to have a decent solicitor working the case who knows the ropes (get a personal recommendation in the areas you are looking for an independant?).

Possibly just told my grandmother how to suck eggs - sorry, loads of nice things here about buying/moving but loads of nasties too!

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:47 pm

Originally posted by darkless
I can only comment from buying a property in Perth whilst here in the UK.

We visited the house on a validation trip and had the offer accepted on the 17th April. We settled on the 7th June. It took slightly longer than it would have if were were there because of shipping documents around etc and we were waiting on finance approval. That said there was no chain - us first buyers (effectively) in OZ and they were moving abroad.

Nothing to do with your original question, but just to compare the house buying/selling process in OZ with the UK. In the UK we accepted an offer on our property in February, and we eventually complete on the 12th July!!! Again no chain - first time buyers and people moving abroad (us)

Dave
Hi dave,

LOL beat you to it - already bought in Perth from the UK - completed in May!!! Where have you bought?

My question was for those who did it while in Aus as I don't feel the delays with all the firb approval, time delay and post etc helped!!!! I can't really get a true picture from that.

Cheers

Max x
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:50 pm

Originally posted by Sandra
That hateful answer again - it depends! You negotiate when you have agreed a price.

Sometimes the people are selling a rental with tenants and time is agreed to let them move, other times the owner/occupiers have deadlines themselves and are happy to move out quickly.

If it is very important to you, check out the requirements of the people selling the property you like, have they already bought? Do they want a long transfer period? Are there any other factors?

Lucky for us we managed to get a month by month rental agreement on the house we had rented and tied up easily with the six/eight weeks required by our sellers. But we also made sure the properties we looked at had occupancy availability for us quickly.

The chain system of the UK is not well known here in Sydney, and my colleagues in work have a great laugh over my tales of moving out the minute money exchanges hands and a trail of people moving house in vans to the next house! Nice thing about this - the removalists here are much cheaper to use and storage for a few weeks is cheap!

Just ask loads of questions and get it in writing in your contract! If you do decide to have a long period between buying and moving in take Hevs advice and make sure maintenance of the property is in writing/in contract, eg upkeep of gardens/pool removal of unwanted rubbish etc. The previous owner crap we had to remove was unbelieveable!

Also check out contracts carefully if buying a house which was previously rented out - make sure current owners are responsible for cleaning/clearing etc and who is responsible if they do not move out! The estate agent should provide details of course but always nice to have a decent solicitor working the case who knows the ropes (get a personal recommendation in the areas you are looking for an independant?).

Possibly just told my grandmother how to suck eggs - sorry, loads of nice things here about buying/moving but loads of nasties too!

Cheers
Thanks Sandra!

Good advice. Great that you were able to get a month by month rental. Do you think that would be easy to negotiate?

Max x
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Hi dave,

LOL beat you to it - already bought in Perth from the UK - completed in May!!! Where have you bought?

My question was for those who did it while in Aus as I don't feel the delays with all the firb approval, time delay and post etc helped!!!! I can't really get a true picture from that.

Cheers

Max x

Hi Max,

We bought a house in Currambine - between Joondalup and Iluka.

Really liked the area around Joondalup and with the station at Currambine, the distance from Perth is largely irrelevant, should work take me to the CBD.

Where did you buy?

How long did it take you to buy the house from here? We didn't need FIRB approval because we have our visas - are you still waiting on yours?

Dave
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:03 am
rudo1ph

Arrived 16th August.

17th August - drove around and decided which suburb we wanted to be in.

Spent the week checking out the local school and collecting details of houses for sale in our area, opening a bank account, sorting out a mortgage agreement.

Saw the house 23rd August.

Saw it again and had an offer accepted on the 27th August.

Finalised the purchase 19th September

Moved in 22nd September.

Total time - 4 weeks and 6 days after arrival we finalised the purchase.......couldn't moved in for a couple of days as our stuff had not arrived in the container!!!

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:05 am

Originally posted by darkless
Hi Max,

We bought a house in Currambine - between Joondalup and Iluka.

Really liked the area around Joondalup and with the station at Currambine, the distance from Perth is largely irrelevant, should work take me to the CBD.

Where did you buy?

How long did it take you to buy the house from here? We didn't need FIRB approval because we have our visas - are you still waiting on yours?

Dave
We are going to be neighbours!

Have bought on Delgado Parade in Iluka!

Yeah we got the visas in Feb but they said we still needed the firb approval because we were offshore and not yet validated.

We put the offer in mid March and it was ours by mid May.

So not too bad compared to here. Although sold our UK house in mid Jan and moved out end of Feb - that was quick!

We are looking at Currambine for the second property actaully it's one of the areas - don't want to go too far away.

Max
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:07 am

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Arrived 16th August.

17th August - drove around and decided which suburb we wanted to be in.

Spent the week checking out the local school and collecting details of houses for sale in our area, opening a bank account, sorting out a mortgage agreement.

Saw the house 23rd August.

Saw it again and had an offer accepted on the 27th August.

Finalised the purchase 19th September

Moved in 22nd September.

Total time - 4 weeks and 6 days after arrival we finalised the purchase.......couldn't moved in for a couple of days as our stuff had not arrived in the container!!!
Now that's quick!

You sound like us - no messing about
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

We are going to be neighbours!

Have bought on Delgado Parade in Iluka!

Yeah we got the visas in Feb but they said we still needed the firb approval because we were offshore and not yet validated.

We put the offer in mid March and it was ours by mid May.

So not too bad compared to here. Although sold our UK house in mid Jan and moved out end of Feb - that was quick!

We are looking at Currambine for the second property actaully it's one of the areas - don't want to go too far away.

Max
Wow, it is a small world. I have friends who live in Iluka, Delgardo Parade. What number did you buy? They live at 19. Saw a property next door to them, number 21, when we were out in April, but unfortunately our budget didn't really run to $500K. Their house is very nice, and it is so close to the sea!

We also purchased some land in Carramar on which we intend to build a second property.

When are you moving out to Perth? We will not be there until January (although I am ready to go now!)

Dave
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, silly me - just noticed your signature - 29th Sept - excellent
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 1:41 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We moved in two weeks after the offer was accepted. It was empty and once out finances were agreed we rented for 4 weeks prior to settlement. We negotiated the price with the fact we were willing to rent upto settlement. We settled in 45 days or 6 weeks. Been in 6 weeks now and love the house.

Jo