British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long before did you give up work in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-before-did-you-give-up-work-uk-433887/)

louise Mar 11th 2007 4:56 pm

How long before did you give up work in the UK?

I know everyone has different circumstances, but in general how long before you actually left the UK did you finish work? and was it the right decision?

Cheers

Louise :)

louise Mar 11th 2007 5:08 pm

Re: How long before did you give up work in the UK?

Just realised how bad my timing is:o , I shall bump the thread a little later

Louise:)

stuckinblighty Mar 11th 2007 5:48 pm

hi, good question...i suppose alot depends on how much notice your employer requires.im looking at finishing as close to the leaving date of this country,i suppose if you fix a date for leaving the uk, you could always give extra notice to your employer( as long as you know your employer wont finish you early)....im getting references of my employers ahead of the finishing date so they are all ready to take with me.............different companies have different ethics on this, just depends how nice your employer is.......stuckinblightys oh:sneaky:

Texas Mom Mar 11th 2007 5:59 pm

I finished work two weeks before I left for Texas.
Before that was a total nightmare as I was working full time, had a four year old to drop off all over the place, house and car to sell and arrange to let the movers in. Hubby was already in Texas as he started his new job six weeks before our new house was completed so I held off back in the UK. It was stressful but moving always will be. All's well that ends well except when we got the keys to the new place hubby disappeared to Hong Kong for three weeks and my container from the UK turned up while he was gone! Needless to say his name was mud! Nine months on and it's all a distant memory now!
Good luck with what you decide to do.

Gethy Mar 11th 2007 6:01 pm

Hey,

Looks like we will be working up to the last minute, hoping to make our last day at work the 1st of June and jump on a plane to Brisbane on the 3rd.

BIDERCLAN Mar 11th 2007 6:27 pm

hI
I am working until one week before I leave. Employer has been ok - more to do with finances really. Different for everyone I suppose!

Debbie:thumbup:

Nikki.P Mar 11th 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by louise (Post 4507301)
I know everyone has different circumstances, but in general how long before you actually left the UK did you finish work? and was it the right decision?

Cheers

Louise :)

Hi Louise

We're both finishing one week before we leave, which to be honest is a decision made purely on finance but which is a nightmare to be honest. There is some much still to do and definately not enough time to do it. Its seven weeks today until we go and there are a million things still to be done. If you can afford to, give yourself less stress and finish up earlier!!!!
Its making the time to see everyone thats worrying me and I really wish I was finishing now!!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nikki

Wendy Mar 11th 2007 11:13 pm

I finished 4 months before we left and my hubby finshed one month before.

moneypenny20 Mar 12th 2007 12:07 am

Hubby finished three days before we left but he was a firefighter and he just finished his four day shift. Although, because he hadn't taken much of his holiday entitlement that year, he was paid up until about five weeks after we flew out which was rather nice:lol:

chels Mar 12th 2007 3:26 am

3 days - I was lucky though, my manager initially wanted me to work a 3 month notice but I negotiated it down to two months.

OH had to work a month's notice, which he wasn't expecting - the hope had been that he'd get 'gardening leave' but because he wasn't going to a competitor in the UK they made him work the full month. As a result, he just had a weekend between finishing work, flying to Sydney, then a week before he started his new job.

CathnPaul Mar 12th 2007 5:31 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4508666)
3 days - I was lucky though, my manager initially wanted me to work a 3 month notice but I negotiated it down to two months.

OH had to work a month's notice, which he wasn't expecting - the hope had been that he'd get 'gardening leave' but because he wasn't going to a competitor in the UK they made him work the full month. As a result, he just had a weekend between finishing work, flying to Sydney, then a week before he started his new job.

we have gone with 1st June and are flying out on 24th June... seeing so many of our migrating friends running round wanting to do the last minute things was enough for us to be able to guess on how long before.

They regret not fitting everything in. We are trying to plan and get it done as we go. x x

Deadmeat Mar 12th 2007 7:30 am

3 years and, yes, absolutely it was the right decision. :thumbup:

walaj Mar 12th 2007 9:41 am

Technically only needed to give 1mth notice, but gave 3 after we had accepted offer on house. It was accepted that if house sale fell through that the leave date could be extended. Part of condition of accepting offer that we would not move before certain date.

chels Mar 12th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by CathnPaul (Post 4508831)
we have gone with 1st June and are flying out on 24th June... seeing so many of our migrating friends running round wanting to do the last minute things was enough for us to be able to guess on how long before.

They regret not fitting everything in. We are trying to plan and get it done as we go. x x

Very sensible! The key to it is not to take too long off, otherwise the anticipation will get too much, and not to take too little off, as then you don't have enough time to organise everything, say goodbyes etc.

Because we originally came over on a temporary visa, everything was rushed (the whole process from applying for the job, getting the visa and arriving here was very brief!!) and looking back on it all I'm amazed we achieved what we did (sell house, sell stuff, ship stuff, say goodbyes, work notice etc etc etc) :lol:

Sue from Manchester Mar 13th 2007 3:49 am

2 days!