Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long to acclimatise?

how long to acclimatise?

Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default how long to acclimatise?

once you've moved into your new abode, how long does it take the average peep to adjust to the new climate, for example you move from bleak uk to far north queensland? 3 months? 6 months?
just wondered.

cheers

Trish
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to acclimatise?

Originally Posted by jimtrish
once you've moved into your new abode, how long does it take the average peep to adjust to the new climate, for example you move from bleak uk to far north queensland? 3 months? 6 months?
just wondered.

cheers

Trish
Its not that simple, if people dont like real heat/ dire cold they probably wont suddenly change and start liking it. What does tend to happen is a general feeling of move to very hot climate and the cooler temps suddenly feel cold.

If people were quite honest most aussies dont like the heat in summer and head for the aircondtioned shops/ cars and aircondtioning sales for the home increased by 200% last 5 years even outside they head for shade, its more how do they cope with it.

Thinking about it I dont know any aussies who walk around going great its 38/40 degrees I cant wait to work/get out in it they just try to keep cool best they can.

Far north queensland is generally seen as extremely hot even to a queeslander, its the SE corner most head for.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:42 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

just wondered.

cheers

Trish
Depends on whether or not you meen mentally or physicaly?

The body varies from 5 days to 3 weeks I think but I sure someone with more of a medical basis will point us in the right way.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beegee
Depends on whether or not you meen mentally or physicaly?

The body varies from 5 days to 3 weeks I think but I sure someone with more of a medical basis will point us in the right way.
Totally depends on the individual - everyone's body reacts differently to differing temps and humidity, and some prefer a stable climate, some can cope with the huge range you get here - going repeatedly from 36 degrees outside, to 20 degrees in air con'd buildings is a lot for a body to get useed to. If your body can cope with the climtae you will adjust and get used to it a lot more quickly than otherwise.
I know my body hates it, after a year I am no more accustomed to the climate than I was when I arrived.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Also remember that Australia is not just made up of one type of climate, theres a whole range... Queensland is known for its high humidity, whereas SA where i am, is the total opposite.. it is a dry heat, which personally, i find far more bareable.
I dont think you can give a blanket viewpoint on this as every person will react and acclimatise differently. I was adamant i would have problems getting used to 40 plus degree dry heat, but was pleasantly surprised at how well i coped with it.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Also remember that Australia is not just made up of one type of climate, theres a whole range... Queensland is known for its high humidity, whereas SA where i am, is the total opposite.. it is a dry heat, which personally, i find far more bareable.
I dont think you can give a blanket viewpoint on this as every person will react and acclimatise differently. I was adamant i would have problems getting used to 40 plus degree dry heat, but was pleasantly surprised at how well i coped with it.
were headed for townsville, which is far north queensland. I suppose everyone reacts differently, but just wanted to hear how people cope, if indeed they do cope.
we are under no illusions as to how hot/humid it will be, but having spent time in hong kong and such like we think we will be ok. I suppose its being mentally prepared too, physically, i imagine most people would sensibly opt for the aircon.
Although, im sure there are some newbies who would head for the beach and then regret it big time later!
thanks all for your replies.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:50 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

dont' know but will enjoy finding out when its my turn.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

were headed for townsville, which is far north queensland. I suppose everyone reacts differently, but just wanted to hear how people cope, if indeed they do cope.
we are under no illusions as to how hot/humid it will be, but having spent time in hong kong and such like we think we will be ok. I suppose its being mentally prepared too, physically, i imagine most people would sensibly opt for the aircon.
Although, im sure there are some newbies who would head for the beach and then regret it big time later!
thanks all for your replies.
If you lived in hong kong/singers way you know what to expect, townsville is very similar hot and humid and seems to escape the breeze, if you enjoyed hong kong then you wont have any trouble adapting to townsville at all. Bonus being townsville also smells nicer than HK and is a lot less busy.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

just wondered.
If going to northern Queensland, it probably makes sense to arrive in winter rather than summer. And consider getting a house with both a pool and airconditioning.

Jeremy
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:24 pm
Badge

Now I think about it, Australia was the only hot country I did seem to aclimatise to with no problems at all.

Sure, I did get hot, but then I was outside drilling, running so I expected it.

BM

Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We are in Cairns and arrived in winter as we thought it would help us get used to the heat better. I am glad that we did and we have coped far better that I had imagined we would have.

Saying that, hubbie and I had a discussion only today about it and we both admitted that we don't think we could put up with this heat forever. It is supposed to get worse than this aswell but it doesn't last that long apparently. We are doing well and we don't make a big deal of it but forever, I don't think so!

Just make sure that you have aircon, a pool would be great but not essential, and try to get a house which has a good breeze running throught it.

Alot of people here do alot of window shopping or visit the cinema alot, all airconditioned of course!

Mandy
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scrawni
We are in Cairns and arrived in winter as we thought it would help us get used to the heat better. I am glad that we did and we have coped far better that I had imagined we would have.

Saying that, hubbie and I had a discussion only today about it and we both admitted that we don't think we could put up with this heat forever. It is supposed to get worse than this aswell but it doesn't last that long apparently. We are doing well and we don't make a big deal of it but forever, I don't think so!

Just make sure that you have aircon, a pool would be great but not essential, and try to get a house which has a good breeze running throught it.

Alot of people here do alot of window shopping or visit the cinema alot, all airconditioned of course!

Mandy
thanks mandy,
how long have you been in cairns? we are hoping to come out at about the end of aug, not sure entirely how the seasons run? have been told that dec-feb really hots up and gets humid (storms) so i gather thats summer?

Trish
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Badge
Now I think about it, Australia was the only hot country I did seem to aclimatise to with no problems at all.

Sure, I did get hot, but then I was outside drilling, running so I expected it.

BM
thanks for that badge,
maybe if youre determined to make it work for you, its makes it easier somehow?and i imagine alot of it is just common sense, but i imagine the novelty of living in a hot place wears off after a while.
Trish
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
If going to northern Queensland, it probably makes sense to arrive in winter rather than summer. And consider getting a house with both a pool and airconditioning.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
yes we definitely will go for a house with aircon and if at all poss will definitely have a pool, really think this may help us in our adjustments to the heat.
Trish
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Aim to arrive July-August time, you should be ok. The days are still hot, blue skys but not sticky, about 26 degrees, the nights cool down and i found that i needed a cardigan on some nights. From Sept. it really starts to warm up.

We have had very little rain here since July, it tends to rain mainly at night or in the morning. Apparently that does change when it does get really hot and the rain comes earlier, about 4pm.

The thing is you have a shower and before you are even dressed you are ready for another shower! And it isn't at its hottest yet!

There are also no stingers at that time of year so you can swim in the sea, the crocs come out to play when the weather warms up, we had one on Cairns beach by the esplanade the other week and there are more of them being seen in the inlets. Also, you will not be bitten so much by mozzies. :scared:

Hope that helps,

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.