Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long 4 a passport- new baby in Aus?

How long 4 a passport- new baby in Aus?

Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long 4 a passport- new baby in Aus?

Hi Guys
I was just wondering how long it takes to get a passport for a new baby born in Australia, as we want to travel a few weeks after the baby is born.
Also, how soon after the birth is it advisable to travel long haul?
Thanks
Larissa
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long 4 a passport- new baby in Aus?

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Guys
I was just wondering how long it takes to get a passport for a new baby born in Australia, as we want to travel a few weeks after the baby is born.
Thanks
Larissa
Hi Larissa, I am not sure if you want a Brit or Aus passport but either will take more than a few weeks, it took us that long just to arrange for a birth certificate, we could of got it quicker but went through the normal channels.

We are now sorting out some baby photos for the passport, both Brit and Aus.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiral tribe
Hi Larissa, I am not sure if you want a Brit or Aus passport but either will take more than a few weeks, it took us that long just to arrange for a birth certificate, we could of got it quicker but went through the normal channels.

We are now sorting out some baby photos for the passport, both Brit and Aus.

Good luck.
Thanks for that, any reason why the birth cert took a while? We will probably plump for an Aus passport first as I reckon it will be quicker than arranging a Brit one, but I'm not sure yet
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:48 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys
Thanks
Larissa
Hi Larissa can't help with the passport, but I would imagine you have to wait 6 weeks til you can fly - I don't know if it's the same in Oz but in the UK you have a 6 week check at the doctors to make sure your body ok.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:10 pm
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, any reason why the birth cert took a while? We will probably plump for an Aus passport first as I reckon it will be quicker than arranging a Brit one, but I'm not sure yet
We are in QLD and had to send off the completed forms with the fee to the Brisbane office. They processed it and returned it a few weeks later, I did read that if it was a priority you could arrive in person and pay extra for priority.

Good luck again.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clippies
Hi Larissa can't help with the passport, but I would imagine you have to wait 6 weeks til you can fly - I don't know if it's the same in Oz but in the UK you have a 6 week check at the doctors to make sure your body ok.
Thanks, I've flown short haul (parents overseas) with a 6 week old, I wasn't sure if it's the same for long haul - will check with the midwives next week.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If the child is an Australian citizen, he or she needs an Australian passport.

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spiral tribe
We are in QLD and had to send off the completed forms with the fee to the Brisbane office. They processed it and returned it a few weeks later, I did read that if it was a priority you could arrive in person and pay extra for priority.

Good luck again.
Thanks, I will try to find out what happens in WA
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:04 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
Thanks
Larissa
My littlun went to the uk at around 1 month of age.

Check with the airlines first as some have age limits. Also.. the biggest hassle I had getting the (Australian) passport was getting the photograph. The photograph requirements have toughened up these last few years. Contact the passports office in Oz (do a google search) and ask them for further details.

BTW.. if your child looks ill on the day of departure the airline may refuse to take them.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

I had some photos done at SJOG Hospital by their regular photographer when littlen was a few days old. The whole package was about $100 and it included passport photos, very professional looking. The birth certificate we sorted within a few days and the passport took about 6 weeks (the UK one even longer).

I don't think it's advisable to fly with a baby much less than three months due to their eustacian glands (in the ears) being underdeveloped. Short haul maybe, but not long. We flew with Littlen number 1 from UK to Oz and all around (and NZ), when he was 3 months old and there were no problems. But, if they have a cold it's a definite no-no - ears again.

HTH
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I had some photos done at SJOG Hospital by their regular photographer when littlen was a few days old. The whole package was about $100 and it included passport photos, very professional looking. The birth certificate we sorted within a few days and the passport took about 6 weeks (the UK one even longer).

I don't think it's advisable to fly with a baby much less than three months due to their eustacian glands (in the ears) being underdeveloped. Short haul maybe, but not long. We flew with Littlen number 1 from UK to Oz and all around (and NZ), when he was 3 months old and there were no problems. But, if they have a cold it's a definite no-no - ears again.

HTH
Thanks for the advice, BTW Where did you have to register the birth and how did you go about getting the passsport? I am hoping to book tickets soon and am a bit concerned it won't all come together :scared:
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, BTW Where did you have to register the birth and how did you go about getting the passsport? I am hoping to book tickets soon and am a bit concerned it won't all come together :scared:
You get a form from the Hospital which allows you claim from CentreLink, which in turn gets the baby legally in the system.

We got the passport application online, filled it in then sent it registered post. I can't remember the costs but when it comes back they courier it so you have to be in! Any problems speak to Australia POst at Beaumaris, they are really helpful there.

Terrible my memory, and it was only 8 months ago

The UK one was easy enough, just go down to the British Consulate in St.Georges Terrace with the Birth Certificate (and some cash) and they will send your application to Canberra.

I have a feeling I wrote a thread on this in case it was of use to anyone - have a search, or I will later when children safely tucked up.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:13 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

hey Jeremy....your standards are slipping! Can't believe you didn't advise Larissa about getting a certificate of citizenship for her new little one. Not like you!

Larissa..... 'usually' Jeremy advises people to get one of the above as proof of their Australian citizenship. The cost is about $55, but we did it and it was money well spent. Used it when applying for our little chaps passport - which came within about 10 days (maybe less).

here's the link: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf for the certificate
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the help guys, I think I get it all now Will get hubby to download the citizenship form as I can't open it now.