How long??

Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long??

I have read on the net that Melbourne airport is extending their runway to accomadate the new Airbus super jumbo. This jet is capable of flying none stop from Europe to Australia. This will take hours off the journey as there will be no stop over in Asia etc. How long will it take then to fly?? Has there been any talk about this in the Australian media??

Cheers, Gary.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long??

Originally Posted by kathmand194
I have read on the net that Melbourne airport is extending their runway to accomadate the new Airbus super jumbo. This jet is capable of flying none stop from Europe to Australia. This will take hours off the journey as there will be no stop over in Asia etc. How long will it take then to fly?? Has there been any talk about this in the Australian media??

Cheers, Gary.
The new long range Boeing 777 is the 1st airliner capable of flying UK-Aus non-stop. Whether airlines will want to do this, is another story. They would need to carry 2 flight crews, possibly even 3, which would mean high costs (airline pilots ain't cheap!). I think they would also carry less freight, as an extra fuel tank would need to be fitted in the cargo area, which means a loss of revenue. The current longest single airline flight is Singapore-New York (a seriously long way), flown by Singapore Airlines using an Airbus A340-500.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long??

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The new long range Boeing 777 is the 1st airliner capable of flying UK-Aus non-stop. Whether airlines will want to do this, is another story. They would need to carry 2 flight crews, possibly even 3, which would mean high costs (airline pilots ain't cheap!). I think they would also carry less freight, as an extra fuel tank would need to be fitted in the cargo area, which means a loss of revenue. The current longest single airline flight is Singapore-New York (a seriously long way), flown by Singapore Airlines using an Airbus A340-500.

It seems you dont think this route will happen? I am hoping it will, I reckon it might if the demand is there and I would guess it is. I would say you might be cutting an average of 6 - 8 hours of the total journey time.

I hope so. Gary