Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to legalise your chipped playstation

How to legalise your chipped playstation

Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default How to legalise your chipped playstation

The High Couirt in AUstralia has just ruled that chipping a Sony Playstation so it can play disks from other countries (or even home-copied) disks is not illegal.

This is in contrast to the UK, where any modification to a device such as a playstation to get around regional coding was made illegal last year.

So, if have a modded Playstation, and you furtively hide under the table each time there is a knock on the door, emigrate to Australia and live the free life!

Full story here
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:11 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to legalise your chipped playstation

Originally Posted by Trevglas
The High Couirt in AUstralia has just ruled that chipping a Sony Playstation so it can play disks from other countries (or even home-copied) disks is not illegal.

This is in contrast to the UK, where any modification to a device such as a playstation to get around regional coding was made illegal last year.

So, if have a modded Playstation, and you furtively hide under the table each time there is a knock on the door, emigrate to Australia and live the free life!

Full story here
PMSL....that's great news. I thought my lad was gonna be sharing a cell with Ronnie Biggs one day

Yey for Awstraya and monopolies [only when it suits though eh...look at Coles/Woolies ]....ah well...it's a start.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas

Full story here
That is good news - I hope it extends to my XBox!

On a serious note though, it does throw the whole idea of region encoding into a cocked hat, which, to be fair, is an absolute nightmare for us mobile immigrant people. And why should it be?

S
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
That is good news - I hope it extends to my XBox!

On a serious note though, it does throw the whole idea of region encoding into a cocked hat, which, to be fair, is an absolute nightmare for us mobile immigrant people. And why should it be?

S

What region DVD is australia then?

I have a few from US that work on my hacked player and the rest are UK discs.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by manxfamily
What region DVD is australia then?

I have a few from US that work on my hacked player and the rest are UK discs.
Australia is region 4: UK disks wont play on Au players, unless you get hold of the multiregion hack for your particular player.

From what I have seen, for most DVD players, the region is not hard coded into the player, and if you search on the net you can find the magic sequence of keypresses to take you into the engineers menu, where you can set the region or select multiregion.

DVD drives for PC's and laptops are a bit trickier, as you need to be able to hack the firmware on the drive.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:28 am
Just Joined

mk&joel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Daft question I know, but we are going to buy the ps2 when we arrive in oz,but in the meantime relatives have been buying the ps2 games for xmas presents over here in the UK.
Will they work?
Is it the dvd s that wont work,due to this region thingy that every one talks about or are the games "regioned" as well?

Thanks Joel
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

PS2 Games from AUS or UK both work on each others machines (so they're interchangable)

this is because both UK and AUS playstations are PAL so on the game box it says "Only works on playstations marked PAL " - as opposed to NTSC (american and japanese whatever the hell the japanese use).

So short answer to your question is YES.

PS - anyone want to buy my PS2 discs that I bought in hong kong whilst very tired not thinking ah...my PS2 isnt chipped...
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:28 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: How to legalise your chipped playstation

Originally Posted by spalen
PS - anyone want to buy my PS2 discs that I bought in hong kong whilst very tired not thinking ah...my PS2 isnt chipped...
What have you got and how much?

R.