Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to juggle 7 month rabies preperation for Australia with selling my house

How to juggle 7 month rabies preperation for Australia with selling my house

Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:11 am
Joined 28/05/2011

CaptainDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How to juggle 7 month rabies preperation for Australia with selling my house

Hello one & all.
I made a serious mistake in 2015 when I decided to return to UK after 46 years in Australia.
Now cannot wait to go back to Australia but I have a serious logistics problem with which I could use someones expertise.
The Rabies vaccination preparation for my dog (an Australian Kelpie) to import to Australia is
over 7 months here followed by enforced (and extortionately expensive) 10 to 30 days Quarantine at
Mickleham, Vic, the only remaining Quarantine Centre in Australia.
How can I possibly juggle the 7 + month preparation period with selling my house??
Has anyone gone through this process successfully?
All the best,
Cap'n Dave
Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to juggle 7 month rabies preperation for Australia with selling my house

Originally Posted by CaptainDave
Hello one & all.
I made a serious mistake in 2015 when I decided to return to UK after 46 years in Australia.
Now cannot wait to go back to Australia but I have a serious logistics problem with which I could use someones expertise.
The Rabies vaccination preparation for my dog (an Australian Kelpie) to import to Australia is
over 7 months here followed by enforced (and extortionately expensive) 10 to 30 days Quarantine at
How can I possibly juggle the 7 + month preparation period with selling my house??
All the best,
Cap'n Dave
I have moved your thread over to our Australia forum. Please note the Welcome Inn forum as purely to ‘meet and greet’ new members. Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to juggle 7 month rabies preperation for Australia with selling my house

Originally Posted by CaptainDave
Hello one & all.
All the best,
Cap'n Dave
Hi. While it's unlikely that you'll be able to get everything perfectly coordinated, the following ideas may help a bit.

Get your dog started on the treatment 7 months before your preferred date to return to Australia.
Be realistic about the pricing your house - get some honest feedback from a variety of agents, and spend some time on Zoopla/Rightmove etc to get a good idea of what houses similar to yours are selling for, and how long they're on the market

How quickly your house will sell will probably depend almost entirely on the price you put on it.

If your house sells quite quickly, negotiate as long a settlement period as the buyers are willing to accept. If after settlement your dog's treatment still hasn't finished, you'll need to rent for a while. This may be an occasion where the long settlement period (compared with Australia) works to your advantage.

If your house has sold but settlement hasn't gone through by the time you and your dog leave the UK, there will be no problem with you instructing your conveyancing solicitor accordiningly, ie he/she can keep in touch with you via email/phone, and you can sort the details before you go, such as the bank account you wish the settlement proceeds to be paid into. If I were you, I'd keep my UK bank account, get the funds paid into that, and transfer them at your convenience to your Australian bank account. Use a good FX broker, bank exchange rates and fees are atrocious.

If your house hasn't sold by the time you and your dog leave Australia, your real estate agent and conveyancing solicitor can still do the work on your behalf, providing you've given them all the necessary information and signed the necessary documents prior to leaving.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

We set up all the appointments, found a vet we trusted (and kept on top of dates and paperwork) and used a pet transport company. Typed up all information, what had to happen when and ensured the head Vet and all associated staff had copies. Emailed also.

Our cat then went to a a trusted cattery for two months after we flew out (we had to fly on a certain date for work). The cattery owner also had a copy of the information sheet above and took our cat to and from the vet to have the final tests and check ups, then also transported our cat to the airport where she was met by the pet transport company. You could do this with trusted friends or family members.

As we are in Queensland, we used a fantastic company to collect our cat from the quarrantine, check her over and deliver her to the Melbourne airport to be flown to Queensland. They also prepared necessary paperwork, booked flights etc.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:28 am
Joined 28/05/2011

CaptainDave is an unknown quantity at this point

G'Day Spouse of scouse,
Many thanks for the info, yes it does help
Kind regards,
Cap'n Dave