Reload this Page >

how hot is Brisbane

how hot is Brisbane

Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default how hot is Brisbane

Hi
Just read a thread regarding the heat in Perth.
Can anyone tell me what the heat is like in Brisbane, some people reckon its very muggy others say its not too bad.
I would like to know how it compares with the uk weather over the last couple of weeks.

Dave
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

mumfie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dave , i have been wondering just the same thing. I've heard loads of conflicting stories regarding th heat in Queensland. My family and i are emigrating down under on the 4th of September. I have just decided that im gonna wait and see what its like as peoples opinions vary, the only thing they seem to agree on is the fact that it is not the same kind of heat, its a nicer kind of heat. Are you emigrating there?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:27 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: how hot is Brisbane

Originally posted by jarv
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the heat is like in Brisbane, some people reckon its very muggy others say its not too bad.
I would like to know how it compares with the uk weather over the last couple of weeks.

Dave
I spent last summer in Brisbane ie September to March I was there and all I can say is that it was way too hot for me, the weather we have been experiencing in the UK the last two weeks has been lovely although temperatures have been similar to Oz. I have found the UK weather much more bearable, I think that it also helps that over here you get a break every now and then in Brisbane it was constant and very draining. Others will have different experiences as everyone feels heat different to others but for me I much prefer the UK weather.

Susan
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mumfie
Hey Dave , i have been wondering just the same thing. I've heard loads of conflicting stories regarding th heat in Queensland. My family and i are emigrating down under on the 4th of September. I have just decided that im gonna wait and see what its like as peoples opinions vary, the only thing they seem to agree on is the fact that it is not the same kind of heat, its a nicer kind of heat. Are you emigrating there?

Hi Mumfie
i'm hoping to go next year, just sorting my TRA skills assessment at the moment so still early days.
what visa category did you apply under ?, i'm going for skilled designated area sponsored as i have an aunt in Melbourne.
We thought about going to Perth but thought it was a bit isolated, have an old mate in Adelaide so may try there if i don't like Brisbane, also didn't fancy sydney (too much like a big city) or melbourne (weather a bit similar to uk).

Bye

Dave
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It may be worth visiting a question I posted a couple of days ago re how long it takes to get acclimatised in Brisbane. I had lots of useful responses. We're arrivng there on 29th September so I'll be able to tell you better then!

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:01 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hi

Dave
Christmas day 2001. 41 C daytime 32 C at night. Did'nt go below about 35 C for about 4 weeks.
I think this was pretty extreme even for Brisbane, but don't kid yourself that the English weather comes anywhere near that of Brissy. What we've had here over the last week or so is relatively normal in Brisbane.
What say those that live there??
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by chippy
Christmas day 2001. 41 C daytime 32 C at night. Did'nt go below about 35 C for about 4 weeks.
I think this was pretty extreme even for Brisbane, but don't kid yourself that the English weather comes anywhere near that of Brissy. What we've had here over the last week or so is relatively normal in Brisbane.
What say those that live there??
2001 was the worst I have seen here in almost a decade. Luckily we got on a plane and flew to Canada!

Last summer was so mild I know a few recent arrivals that will swear blind that OZ only gets to 29/30 in summer, they just dont believe me.

Melbourne Perth Adelaide all get 40's at times, Perth last year seemed to have a lot of 38, Bris often is only 32 33 but the humidity makes it feel hotter. Sydney does a nice line in Bushfires.

Some love it tho, others get airconditioning.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have just cpoied this from www.weather.co.uk it has all the climate stats so you can compare states in Oz

Monthly Climate Statistics

Brisbane, Australia
Click a month to see the details for that month. The details for each day of the selected month are shown below.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. Max. 29°C 29°C 28°C 26°C 23°C 21°C 21°C 22°C 24°C 26°

C 27°C 28°C
Avg. Min. 21°C 21°C 19°C 17°C 14°C 11°C 9°C 10°C 12°C 16°C 18°C 19°C
Mean N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Avg. Precip. 170 mm 147 mm 140 mm 104 mm 97 mm 74 mm 69 mm 46 mm 33 mm 104 mm 109 mm 132 mm

It comes from agrid so you will have to count along to work out which month goes with which temperature.

Daily Climate Statistics

Brisbane, Australia
August
Sunrise and Sunset Times are in local time

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Sunrise 6:22 6:21 6:20 6:20 6:19 6:18 6:17 6:16 6:15 6:14 6:13 6:12
Sunset 17:24 17:25 17:25 17:26 17:26 17:27 17:27 17:28 17:28 17:29 17:29 17:30
Avg. Max. 21°C 21°C 21°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C 22°C
Avg. Min. 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 10°C 11°C 11°C
Show Previous 10 Days Show Next 9 Days
Back to Previous Page
Temperature Converter - Enter a number and click on the "Calculate" button
°C = °F

Copyright © 1995-2003, The Weather Channel Interactive, Inc.
Legal restrictions and terms of use weather.co.uk Privacy Statement
Licensed by TRUST-e
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Here are the statistics for Perth to compare:

Monthly Climate Statistics

Perth, Australia
Click a month to see the details for that month. The details for each day of the selected month are shown below.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. Max. 32°C 32°C 29°C 25°C 21°C 18°C 17°C 18°C 20°C 22°C 25°C 29°C
Avg. Min. 17°C 17°C 16°C 13°C 10°C 9°C 8°C 8°C 9°C 10°C 13°C 15°C
Avg. Precip. 10 mm 15 mm 15 mm 48 mm 104 mm 168 mm 157 mm 112 mm 71 mm 46 mm 23 mm 10 mm

Daily Climate Statistics

Perth, Australia
August
Sunrise and Sunset Times are in local time

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Sunrise 6:57 6:56 6:55 6:54 6:53 6:52 6:51 6:50 6:49 6:48 6:47 6:45
Sunset 17:46 17:47 17:48 17:48 17:49 17:50 17:50 17:51 17:51 17:52 17:53 17:53
Avg. Max. 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C 18°C
Avg. Min. 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C 8°C
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:06 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Brisbane is great in the winter....but can get pretty sticky in the 2/3 months around xmas.

I love it though, just takes a bit of getting used to.

I was in Adelaide in 2000, and in Jan that year there were 17 days on the trot over 40 degrees, first time thats ever happened in recorded history. Previous best for Adelaide was 6 days on the trot over 40. Was a pretty toasty 3 weeks !
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Winter is def the best time in Brisbane, from Easter to Nov the weather is great, between 20-30C during the day and between 10-20C at night (except for a few weeks when it drops to 5-10C at night outside).
You can just about bet on sunshine everyday of the year.
from Nov it starts to warm up and the daytime temp might get to 30-40C (last year I don't remember it hitting 40C at all) and night can get above 20c regularly.
Feb is the worst month as it's hot and humid.

But this country is used to it and building take this into account with virtually everywhere airconditioned, so you can eaisly get away from it. Just like the UK copes with winter weather with central heating here we use airconditioning instead.

Just like the UK cannot cope with the hot weather you are getting their at the moment, Brisbane cannot really cope with the really cold weather in winter, but it happens so infrequently it's not a problem (except for the few days it happens) just like the UK now.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:44 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi

Dave
The temp in Brisbane is very similar to Sydney during the summer months - you'll notice that Sydney and Brisbane during the summer months are around about the same temps on the thermometer, winter Brisbane is a bit warmer than Sydney.

. The big difference between Sydney and Brisbane is the humidity (Muggy/sweaty) in Brisbane. Heat isn't uncomfortable for most people, humidity is the "killer" for a lot of people. Forget trying to compare British weather with Brisbane. British weather is less humid.

Most summers are round about 29c ... low 30's, 32c etc. One year we did get low 40's, everybody here was uncomfortable .. most people flocked to the coast in the evenings to buy food, and sit by the water to cool down. (as chippy has mentioned too about that year.. he/she must be dreaming along with Dotty and myself about this non existent 40 odd degree summer temp we had ..) which was extreme weather (same as your extreme weather in Britain at the moment ... it's not usual). last summer just gone I found it to be the coolest we have had since I've been living in Brisbane. It was a very pleasant mild summer. So anyone who has just emigrated in the past year has still not experienced a very humid summer.... it has been very pleasant over the past year.

I do not know why most of you are worried... even Brisbanites, people born and bred here will moan at the humidity on a very humid day. It's not the heat which is uncomfortable for some people.. It's the humidity.

In fact, I personally find that the ones who moan about it here the most are actually the locals... Brits funnily enough I find love the heat. "mad dogs and English" or however the saying goes

cheers
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:50 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jarv

Just got back from Brisbane after spending a few weeks their through July and August.

Most days averaged in the low 20's which was very pleasant.
Needed a jumper though when the sun dropped as it got a little cool.

My girlfriends family say the humidity is what makes it uncomfortable during the summer months not the high temps.

Cheers

TT

Hi

Dave
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:41 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

For those three months in Brisbane it can be tough on the humidty front but the rest of the year makes up for it, being able to plan weeks in advance outdoor events etc is an experience that my brother says is worth the high temperatures and humidty at the height of summer, he arrived at the start of their summer last year and it took some getting used to but as previously said the Ozzies are the worst moaners of the lot. I remember Xmas in Brisbane a few years ago with electrical storms and clouds on Xmas day and eating the Xmas Roast in our swimsuits, it sure beats staying in and watching the Queens Speech.