Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Have You Found Tasmania Was It All You Hoped It Would Be

How Have You Found Tasmania Was It All You Hoped It Would Be

Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default How Have You Found Tasmania Was It All You Hoped It Would Be

Hi
Just wondering how all of you have found Tasmania? was it all you thought it would be?how long have you been there?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:25 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Have You Found Tasmania Was It All You Hoped It Would Be

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi
Just wondering how all of you have found Tasmania? was it all you thought it would be?how long have you been there?
Its not going to be the response your after, but we visted for 7 days a few years back (had some relatives there) we lasted 4 and then decided to fly on to Sydney!
It was cold/wet and there was nothing to do. OAP central.
Some of the scenery was quite nice...
And the flight to sydney was pretty quick...
Sorry
Steve
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve99
Its not going to be the response your after, but we visted for 7 days a few years back (had some relatives there) we lasted 4 and then decided to fly on to Sydney!
It was cold/wet and there was nothing to do. OAP central.
Some of the scenery was quite nice...
And the flight to sydney was pretty quick...
Sorry
Steve
Thanks Steve,

I had heard that the scenery was very nice, I was interested as friends of our's are coming out to live there, I shall let them know your reply !!!!!They have never been there so it may be quite a shock,as they are leaving Henley,and as you may know Henley always has something going on,so it sounds as though it may be a little too quite " thanks again. "

Irish guinness
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:08 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve,

I had heard that the scenery was very nice, I was interested as friends of our's are coming out to live there, I shall let them know your reply !!!!!They have never been there so it may be quite a shock,as they are leaving Henley,and as you may know Henley always has something going on,so it sounds as though it may be a little too quite " thanks again. "

Irish guinness
Ummm, having spent a number of years frequently visiting Henley they are definitely in for a shock if they are expecting anything similar.
I miss getting out on the river around there a lot, when we go back to the UK we always make a point of visiting Henley/Marlow etc.

If there into Walking I guess Tassie could be good.

Steve
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:03 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Missed this thread, we are off to Tassie and we aint quite OAP's

I know of another 3 couples who have gone and they are loving it. Will let you know how we get on.

Is it not possible for your friends to visit prior to emigrating?

Possoms
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by possoms
Missed this thread, we are off to Tassie and we aint quite OAP's

I know of another 3 couples who have gone and they are loving it. Will let you know how we get on.

Is it not possible for your friends to visit prior to emigrating?

Possoms
Thanks Possoms, no they cannot visit, wish they could,so when you settle in Tassie, please let me know how you get on,would really appricate it.
All the very best with your move thanks again
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:27 am

Thanks Possoms, no they cannot visit, wish they could,so when you settle in Tassie, please let me know how you get on,would really appricate it.
All the very best with your move thanks again
Will do I am the Tassie promoter of this site, not many of us going

Are your friends going STNI? we are. We have visited and honestly can say we loved the place. Peeps say its quiet but we found it no quiter than the suburb we stayed in in Perth and everything was certainly more accessable due to the size of the island. Melbourne only an hour away with regular flights and ferries.

We live in the Peak District so scenically it is very similar, yes has seasons but it is so green and you need rain for that!! certainly not as cold as uk in winter and warmer in summer.

Hobart is a lovely city by the harbour. Thats where we would ideally like to live but it obviuosly depends on where the work is for Colin.

Anyhoo if your friends want to contact me, email me or pm me, are they members of the site?

Theres a couple of links here for them if their interested.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

http://islandstate.com/

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/im...aymasthead.gif

http://www.big4.com.au/NewSite/tas.asp

http://www.tas.gov.au/

Possoms
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by possoms
Will do I am the Tassie promoter of this site, not many of us going

Are your friends going STNI? we are. We have visited and honestly can say we loved the place. Peeps say its quiet but we found it no quiter than the suburb we stayed in in Perth and everything was certainly more accessable due to the size of the island. Melbourne only an hour away with regular flights and ferries.

We live in the Peak District so scenically it is very similar, yes has seasons but it is so green and you need rain for that!! certainly not as cold as uk in winter and warmer in summer.

Hobart is a lovely city by the harbour. Thats where we would ideally like to live but it obviuosly depends on where the work is for Colin.

Anyhoo if your friends want to contact me, email me or pm me, are they members of the site?

Theres a couple of links here for them if their interested.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

http://islandstate.com/

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/im...aymasthead.gif

http://www.big4.com.au/NewSite/tas.asp

http://www.tas.gov.au/

Possoms
No they are not members of this site,and they have no computer at the moment as all their belongings have been packed. I phone them quite alot so shall pass on these web sites when I next speak to them thanks again keep in touch
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:46 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a useful thread for anyone thinking of visiting Tasmania in the near future

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296909

Cheers,
ADL
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by A dogs life
This is a useful thread for anyone thinking of visiting Tasmania in the near future

Cheers,
ADL
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,
ADL

cant believe you posted that with a straight face!!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:04 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
cant believe you posted that with a straight face!!!

Ahhh well, you were all being so serious about discussing how good tassie was. Thought I'd drop an old schoolboy thread in
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:28 am

Ahhh well, you were all being so serious about discussing how good tassie was. Thought I'd drop an old schoolboy thread in
LOL I was trying to be serious for once, seems peeps are fed up with pish filled posts
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hiya

We emigrated to Hobart 7 months ago- we are both late 20's, early thirties so not OAPs quite yet.

We love living here and despite all the homesickness I had to start with, I can not imagine living anywhere else.

Tasmania has the most beautiful scenery- last weekend we went to the east coast for our wedding anniversary and spent the day at wineglass bay
( voted one of the top ten beaches in the world)
The weekend before we spent the day watching Australia play the West Indies at Bellerive Oval which is a 10 minute drive from where we live.

There is virtually no crime here, no pollution, no rush hour and no snobby pretentious people. People pass you in the street and say hello.

Yes it is isolated and a bit behind the times- but Ikea opens next year- woo hoo !!!!

Tasmania is a wonderful places but in some ways I am happy to perpetuate the myth thats it has terrible weather and is horrible so that I can keep it all to myself !!!

Please stay away !!!!!!!

Nat xxx
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by natty
Hiya

We emigrated to Hobart 7 months ago- we are both late 20's, early thirties so not OAPs quite yet.

We love living here and despite all the homesickness I had to start with, I can not imagine living anywhere else.

Tasmania has the most beautiful scenery- last weekend we went to the east coast for our wedding anniversary and spent the day at wineglass bay
( voted one of the top ten beaches in the world)
The weekend before we spent the day watching Australia play the West Indies at Bellerive Oval which is a 10 minute drive from where we live.

There is virtually no crime here, no pollution, no rush hour and no snobby pretentious people. People pass you in the street and say hello.

Yes it is isolated and a bit behind the times- but Ikea opens next year- woo hoo !!!!

Tasmania is a wonderful places but in some ways I am happy to perpetuate the myth thats it has terrible weather and is horrible so that I can keep it all to myself !!!

Please stay away !!!!!!!

Nat xxx
PMSL yeah ignore my previous posts its a terrible place