Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How have you been welcomed in NZ/AU?

How have you been welcomed in NZ/AU?

Old Apr 19th 2003, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Anniexx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How have you been welcomed in NZ/AU?

Just wondering to those of you who have done the immigration thing and are already there,how have you been welcomed by the locals? Was it a warm welcome?Or were people put off that you have come to live in their country? Is it easy to make friends when you get there? Especially after leaving loved ones/friends behind.

Anniexx
Old Apr 20th 2003, 12:11 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How have you been welcomed in NZ/AU?

Originally posted by Anniexx
Just wondering to those of you who have done the immigration thing and are already there,how have you been welcomed by the locals? Was it a warm welcome?Or were people put off that you have come to live in their country? Is it easy to make friends when you get there? Especially after leaving loved ones/friends behind.

Anniexx
I was there on holiday at Christmas. I was staying at a friend's farm in the middle of nowhere, so anyone I bumped into assumed I'd migrated ( no right minded tourists would stay there!). They were all very pleasant, and when I said that I had applied they wished me the best of luck. Most of them want to share their beautiful land (just not with Johnny Foreigner).
Old Apr 20th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi, we've lived here for a year now and we haven't had any problems with anyone when they know we have emigrated, but then I suppose it depends on what sort of person you are. mind you, most of the people we have met have been migrants, but the Aussies we have met have all been friendly. Had no trouble making friends as i have kids at school so you get to make friends. I've also joined this babysitting club so have made plenty of friends through that as we babysit each others kids and you get to know them.

Any way, all I can say is just get out there and talk to as many people as you can, you will soon find some friends.

Mandy
Old Apr 21st 2003, 3:02 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Hi Anniexx
We have been in OZ(N.S.W) for the past 6 months and everyone we have met has been so freindly and supportive. My husband and i both got jobs within the first couple of weeks and everyone at work as been so helpfull, helping us to adjust to our new working enviroments and have also helped us socialize out of work with them and their freinds.

Australians are pround of their country, so we have found it best to talk about the positive sides of OZ when meeting new people.

Most of the people we have met don't seem to have any strong veiws on new commers to OZ (other than illegal immigrants) so long as they know that your here to pay your way and contribute to the wealth and good fortune of OZ i don't think you will have any problems.

Good luck Debbie Jo