Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to rent with large dog

How hard is it to rent with large dog

Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it to rent with large dog

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Thanx
We are trying to get together 6 months rent upfront and a bit bigger bond..also the woman who dogsits..we are going to get her to do a letter for us about the dog..a dog reference!! it may help!
Money talks but offer 3 months up front and you hand will be bitten off. No need for 6.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

fly2hi is on a distinguished road

We rented initially before we found a house to buy. We bought our Labrador with us and had no problems in the rental. We did deal direct with the owner rather than through an agent so it's easier to convince them that the dog is not a huge problem.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
Money talks but offer 3 months up front and you hand will be bitten off. No need for 6.
That is a relief as we need extra dosh for a car!
Thanx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
What do other landlords think?
Totally agree. I have 2 properties, and after disasters when I *did* permit someone to have 2 small chihuahuas (ripped up the carpet and curtains), I will never choose another tenant with a pet. I also prefer no kids. You can't verbalise that as a reason for not taking a tenant, but you can certainly choose someone who doesn't have kids.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lornagoingtobrissy
Hi could anybody tell me how hard it is to rent in brisbane with a large dog.
Have been told it puts you at a massive disadvantage hoping to be out in next few months and dont want to make life any harder for us but dont think we could leave our deerhound behind either.
Thanks
Lorna
Hi,

We moved to Brisbane last October, moved into rental in November. We brought our Golden Retriever with us. He has always been an inside dog and we were also concerned about rentals. We are now in a rental and he has to be kept outside. His bed is on the patio/undercover entertainment area so he is protected from the sun and rain. The garden is totally enclosed and we just put him on a long chain at night and when we go out. The way we dealt with it was when he came out of quarantine, having spent 30 days there and then the flight up to Brisbane from Sydney, we just took him straight out the back to the patio and didn't even let him through the house so he doesn't know any different. We are amazed at how easily he settled in. It is cooler for him, he has the run of the garden when we are here, and when we go out for the day he is on the chain so has access to the garden but we don't have the worry about having to get back for a certain time.

Nat
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by augigi
Totally agree. I have 2 properties, and after disasters when I *did* permit someone to have 2 small chihuahuas (ripped up the carpet and curtains), I will never choose another tenant with a pet. I also prefer no kids. You can't verbalise that as a reason for not taking a tenant, but you can certainly choose someone who doesn't have kids.

Well, those dogs are known for ripping things up and chewing..small dogs are the worse for that. We will be renting our house out there in U.K and we will consider a dog (as we have one ourselves) but it depends on what breed etc and i would want to meet the dog first!

I am going to get references for the dog here and rent in advance..not everyone will say no to that..that is what a bond is for after all...and kids can do far more damage than a well behaved dog that is restricted to one room..or the garden and garage!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi

We will be moving shortly to Oz and we also will be taking our small dog with us. Not sure how she will cope with being outside but if she has to be then we will have no choice. She is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and has never chewed anything up in her life and she certainly makes no mess other than paw prints on kitchen floor when wet. She is not allowed in the rest of our house unless clean and dry and that would carry on in Oz. We will have to cross that bridge if and when we get there.

Lou xx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

scrappyrosie is an unknown quantity at this point

we have had our sister looking to see how hard it is to rent with pets and she reckons that around the northlakes (brisbane / sunshine coast) area probably 1 in 3 properties allow them so we are hopefully gonna take our 2 staffies so i hope shes correct in what she says!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scrappyrosie
we have had our sister looking to see how hard it is to rent with pets and she reckons that around the northlakes (brisbane / sunshine coast) area probably 1 in 3 properties allow them so we are hopefully gonna take our 2 staffies so i hope shes correct in what she says!!
thats good to hear as that's where we are heading

Lorna
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Originally Posted by scrappyrosie
Thats good for us as well as that is the area we were looking to go to as well. Good luck to all.

Lou xx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:19 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
I can see why landlords would prefer tenants without dogs - perhaps a nice professional non-smoking no pets or kids couple with excellent references would beat all other applicants?!
Don't be so sure!! We have just moved into a new rental but have had a bit of a mare trying to find it!
We were looking at 4 bed houses with pools - you try explaining to an owner why a young couple with no kids or dogs wants a house of that size! They all get suss and think you're going to be holding wild parties etc.....were turned down for a couple of properties based on that alone! They were given to families with pets and kids
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:20 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Totally agree - we paid 3 months upfront on our 1st rental - as Centurion said, our hand was bitten off!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Totally agree - we paid 3 months upfront on our 1st rental - as Centurion said, our hand was bitten off!
My dog was OK but I lost my deposit because he was overweight when I returned him.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Melbournechick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by augigi
As animal lovers ourselves and knowing how hard it is to find a rental with animals we do allow pets and will even board them in our own home if the dog/cat is due out of quarantine before the tenant arrives in Oz.
Personally we have 3 children and feel they do more damage to the home than any pet could ever do, lol
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Don't be so sure!! We have just moved into a new rental but have had a bit of a mare trying to find it!
We were looking at 4 bed houses with pools - you try explaining to an owner why a young couple with no kids or dogs wants a house of that size! They all get suss and think you're going to be holding wild parties etc.....were turned down for a couple of properties based on that alone! They were given to families with pets and kids

Bugger! Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.