Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Wikiposts

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:24 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Congratulations,you've passed the theory exams.But you had to ring up after a couple of days,although they don't encourage it,as they take forever to let you know by post.
Now onto the practical.
Take your Regs book,pen and calculator.They supply all tools and meters,but you can take your own along if you prefer.They also give you a book to show any written work undertaken.It's not hard hat/boots,but try to look the part,I'm sure it influences the examiner.
There are 6 tasks and you have 4 hours to complete.This is a bit trickier than the written,as you are tight for time.
I'll put the tasks in the order I did them,as you have a choice as long as everyone doesn't choose the same ones first.

Make off 14" of pyro OR terminate a 10A 240V industrial socket.

Right.The task should be to make off the pyro,BUT,due to expense and lack of materials in WA,they give the much easier task of making off the socket.Just in case they change back,take a small pot of vasoline,as I've been told the pyro tools supplied are a bugger to start off.
The cable supplied is 2.5mm 3 core heavy duty flex,with stuffing glands.Nothing tricky here,but make sure you choose the 16 amp breaker,not the 10 or 20.Remember,you're protecting the cable,not the rating of the outlet.
I suggest you choose this task first,as it's quick and easy,and calms you down.If it's pyro,maybe swap it to 2nd.

Test 2 irons.

Theres about 8 irons,so I can only comment on the 2 given to me.Check for cord damage,missing screws,cracks,dials not turning correctly,missing labels on the dials etc etc.Calculate the resistance using Ohms law and P over V x I,then measure it to make sure the reading is near enough.Some irons ,I'm told,have a resistor put in to give false readings.
Test insulation resistance.IMPORTANT.I got a reading of 0.05 M ohm on one,BUT according to Reg 6.3.3.3.3 (a) page 165,the minimum value for a sheathed heating element or appliance is 0.01 M ohm.So it complies-just.
You don't have to dismantle the plug or iron.
Make sure you write everything you do (including the regs ),and the irons details in the sheets provided.

Wire a 2 way and intermediate lighting circuit,and double socket outlet.

You are given a safety tag at the beginning,so make sure you tie it to the incoming mains (a flex on a plug) before starting,or you'll fail.
Link from the main switch with 4mm (honest ,crazy but it's true) singles to the RCD,and from the incoming of the rcd to the 10 A MCB.Then link from the outgoing side of the RCD to the 16 A MCB.Don't link from the neutral bar to the earth (MEN link),or it'll trip when energised.
The socket is wired via the RCD using 2.5 T&E ,but the earth comes pre-sleeved.
You'll have to bell out the switch terminals,as nothing is labelled,and use the spare terminal in the batten holder for any common connections.
When the examiner livens the board,don't worry if the intermediate switch is wrong,he'll let you do it again until it's correct (Don't forget the safety tag).

Volt drop

On a bench is a heating element with an ammeter to show current drawn.
Measure the voltage at incoming and load,and using the regs (i.e volt drop not to excede 5% of incoming voltage) determine whether this complies.
Chances are it won't,or this would be a right quick 'un.
Tell the geezer,and he'll then give you a copy of tables (which I can't remember exactly what they're called-doesn't matter though ).You'll also have a list telling you what factors apply,and in what order to use them,and the pages they can be found.So i'ts not as daunting as it all seems.
You then have to show on your sheet which is the smallest c.s.a of cable which would comply.Luckily,it should be the next one up (1.5mm),so you only have to do the problem once.
Don't forget the formula which you put in your regs
VD=mV/A/m x current x length over 1000

Connect a direct on-line motor with 2 remote start/stop buttons.

I came a bit unstuck on this one,but I still passed,so do yer best !
Tag on the supply!
It's all plug in leads here,so that bit's easy.Phase colours are RED/WHITE/BLUE (very patriotic).You have to connect through a contactor to the motor.The coil is supplied via the start/stop buttons,overload protection terminals and an auxilary coil.I believe the terminals for the overload will be 95 and 96.
I did o.k at first,I had one start button wired incorrectly.But when I tried to rectify it,I made it worse,and ended up walking away hopefully returning to it .I run out of time in the end,so should have just left it as it was.Still,I passed,so I must have done enough.Of course on-site,you'd not be under pressure,so I'm sure they take that into consideration when marking it.
Least said about this one the better.

Test a domestic installation.

I left this one till last,as you could spend ages here and come a cropper for time on the other tasks.
Safety Tag on !
There's no live testing on this one.Again,it's all plug in leads at the destination,but the CU is hard wired.Write everything in full,even if it seems obvious or petty.
Faults are introduced by the examiner throwing switches,so you may find different results to me.
Insulation resistance gave a fault on the lighting circuit.There was 2 RCD's-1 for power 1 for lighting.
Youre given plug in outlets to make testing of fittings easier.
I also found reverse polarity on a socket,incorrect wiring of strappers on the intermediate lighting circuit,and the Insulation resistance fault was between a switch and fitting in one of the bedrooms.
If you leave this till last,you can just plod on until they call time.

So there it is.Feel free to add to this when you've done it.
Best of luck to you all,it is nerve wracking,but once you do it you wonder what all the fuss was about.
They tell you not to call them for your results,but I rang after 3 days saying I had a job offer subject to passing,and wondered when I'd hear anything.She put me on hold for ages,then told me my result ! Glad I did,as it took nearly to weeks to get it in writing.
Finally,send off,or apply in person for your registration card.A bargain at $250 !!!!!
They make it there and then if you call in.

BB-spark extraordinaire (just don't let me near any star/delta motors).

Last edited by baldbutts; Aug 18th 2003 at 3:04 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

what a good post n1

i think the one i would like would be the dol starter

im going to have to brush up on mi cable me thinks

and 2 way and intermediate switching havent done that in ages

too much industrial wiring for the last 8 years

you have made me feel alot better and havent seen a post on here that has helped me out so much so a pat on the back for you my friend and when i get over there ill buy you a few beers

many thanks Paul
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:48 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bussie
what a good post n1

i think the one i would like would be the dol starter

im going to have to brush up on mi cable me thinks

and 2 way and intermediate switching havent done that in ages

too much industrial wiring for the last 8 years

you have made me feel alot better and havent seen a post on here that has helped me out so much so a pat on the back for you my friend and when i get over there ill buy you a few beers

many thanks Paul
Ditto. Agree 100%, well done BB! Although I'm going to Adelaide, this gives me a very good idea of the stuff to expect. Must dust down my pyro tools!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here BB. thanks for a very good post, good luck to you and your family!

Terry
Old May 16th 2004, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

bcl74 is on a distinguished road

Hi there BB, great topic, ive been looking for one like this for ages although it will be a year or so before I have to do this exam

Brian
Old May 16th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bcl74
Hi there BB, great topic, ive been looking for one like this for ages although it will be a year or so before I have to do this exam

Brian

from start to finish it has taken me 6 1/2 months to get my electrical mechanic/fitters licence

i see now the office of energy have changed there application forms to make things easier which will help alot of people out

if any one wants any info on the electrical fitter exam practical or short theory then drop me an email
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:59 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Does any one know what sort of requirements or exams you have to take in E Australia(Brisbane)??
Any help would be appreciated.
mr leannefr
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:27 am
Just Joined

shaz777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bussie
n1 now i got to panic and find the stuff i sent to the tra about a year or two ago :scared:

Cheers mate found this really helpful
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:44 am
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Well done mate!

The most useful post l have read so far, have saved it all to disk for later date. Hubby is a spark - just going through TRA at the moment. Been researching loads on the net and still not got all the info you have posted your a star!

Hubby's reaction will be fun!!!! :scared:
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know anything about getting the plumbing and gas licenses in WA?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:26 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Cheers baldbutts, just a quickkie for you how ard is it to get the regs books for aussie, i know different states have different regs but cannot find anywhere and would like copies before i go
ATB andy
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:38 am
G&J
Forum Regular

G&J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Instrument Technicians

Doe's anyone Know what licence is required for instrument tech involved in process control i.e. oil/gas offshore
Old Jun 16th 2004, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Cheers baldbutts, just a quickkie for you how ard is it to get the regs books for aussie, i know different states have different regs but cannot find anywhere and would like copies before i go
The wiring regs I believe are actually the same throughout Australia and NZ.

These are the various regulations.

AS/NZS 3000:2000 (Amended) : Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules)
as/nzs 3760:2001 in service testing & inspection of electrical equipment
as/nzs 3100:2002 approval & test specification - general requirements
as/nzs 3017:2001 Electrical instalations - testing & inspection guidlines
as/nzs 3008:1998 Electrical instalations - selection of cables

They can be found at http://www.standards.com.au/catalogue/script/Search.asp

I bought a copy of AS/NZS 3000:2000 from this site and they mailed it to me in the UK however it cost be quite a bit, cant remember how much exactly. Trouble is, its so boring I cant bring myself to read it. The book I bought doesnt have the current carrying capacities as the UK IEE 16th edition regs do. You have to buy another publication presumably as/nzs 3008:1998.

If you are right and there are regional regulations then I havent heard of them and would be interested to know where to find them for Queensland.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 6:43 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally posted by migrantoz
The wiring regs I believe are actually the same throughout Australia and NZ.

These are the various regulations.

AS/NZS 3000:2000 (Amended) : Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules)
as/nzs 3760:2001 in service testing & inspection of electrical equipment
as/nzs 3100:2002 approval & test specification - general requirements
as/nzs 3017:2001 Electrical instalations - testing & inspection guidlines
as/nzs 3008:1998 Electrical instalations - selection of cables

They can be found at http://www.standards.com.au/catalogue/script/Search.asp

I bought a copy of AS/NZS 3000:2000 from this site and they mailed it to me in the UK however it cost be quite a bit, cant remember how much exactly. Trouble is, its so boring I cant bring myself to read it. The book I bought doesnt have the current carrying capacities as the UK IEE 16th edition regs do. You have to buy another publication presumably as/nzs 3008:1998.

If you are right and there are regional regulations then I havent heard of them and would be interested to know where to find them for Queensland.
cheers for that, it was like looking for a needle in haystack on ere for the books
Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:06 am
Just Joined

shaz777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up thanks

Cheers mate this was really helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.