Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get a sparky job b 4 we arrive??

How to get a sparky job b 4 we arrive??

Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice
Default How to get a sparky job b 4 we arrive??

Hi, just wondered how others have secured a job b 4 getting to Oz? I am an Electrician by trade & have forwarded my cv & covering letter to around 6 companies but not heard a peep (this was months ago).

Would be grateful for a few pointers etc...

Many thanks
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to get a sparky job b 4 we arrive??

do a search on electricans as I think you have to do exams etc before you can work from what i have read its a long proccess, Paul
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:28 am
Banned

Ashers is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 34, and have just finished 2 years night school to get my City & Guilds - Electrical. I've never worked in the trade though.

Does anyone know whether this will be of any use to get a 'mate' or trainee position in Perth?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

thanks, have done research on getting recognised 'A-Grade licence' b 4 I get there & sent all stuff (that was sent to TRA), to Energy Office in Leederville but it was't enough for them as they want more proof of JIB/training etc (was good enough to pass TRA though??!)

Sorry Ashers, not sure City & Guilds is much use in Perth best to try for A-Grade Licence (Oz recognised qualification). You can start the process here but you have to do practicals etc when you arrive. I am C&G qualified too mate & self-employed at the mo but looking for permanent when we eventually get there.

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

emilov is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jo&neil
Hi, just wondered how others have secured a job b 4 getting to Oz? I am an Electrician by trade & have forwarded my cv & covering letter to around 6 companies but not heard a peep (this was months ago).

Many thanks
Hi guys,

I'm in IT, so my field of work is a bit different.
I accepted a job offer 4 days ago and I'll arrive in October.
Check out this thread for my job search experience:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390599

Cheers,
Emil
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the working in Aus forum..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo&neil

Many thanks

It will be very hard to get a position as an electrician due to you needing a licence to connect to mains. Every state varies in what is required. Here in South Australia my hubby has to have another assessment from the TRA, which cost us $100. We sent the application in on the 2nd August and have just had a letter saying that they will assess his skills once they get to his application, which are sorted out in the order they receive them.

Once he has his classification and an ARTC certificate, then we can apply for a restricted workers licence, which means that he can work under the supervision of an A class sparky.

To apply for the A class licence my hubby also needs to pass a AUS 3000 wiring rules exam, this costs $720.

The only jobs my OH can apply for are either in a factory (not too bad as this is what he did before arriving) as a maintenance engineer or he can work as a electricians labourer until he gets his licence.

Sorry to bear bad news, but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

Of course your OH could just get lucky and find someone who is willing to let him work under his licence, so keep trying but don't hold your breath

Good luck
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through before you can work. Supersonic4 has made lots of very helpful posts on this forum - have a search for him posts. THere's also an electrician's forum with lots of very helpful info. Good Luck! :scared: