Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get Oz driving licence?

How to get Oz driving licence?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:20 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to get Oz driving licence?

Hi guys and girls. Hope you can help. I will be moving back to Sydney in October and want to get an Ozzie drivers licence asap for work.(electrician) How and what do i need to do"? I currently have my British paper licence. Whats steps do i have to do and how long does it take? Can i do it online? Cheers in advance for any help.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get Oz driving licence?

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Hi guys and girls. Hope you can help. I will be moving back to Sydney in October and want to get an Ozzie drivers licence asap for work.(electrician) How and what do i need to do"? I currently have my British paper licence. Whats steps do i have to do and how long does it take? Can i do it online? Cheers in advance for any help.
You have to go into an RTA office with your licence, proof of identify and address in NSW, do an eye test, pay some money and Bob's your uncle

Check out the RTA website as I have just told you from memory and I don't even live in NSW so best to double check

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:30 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I'm not sure about in Sydney, but when I changed mine in Queensland I had to also re-do the test. Don't worry - thats a written test, not a practical test! Basically just involves swotting up on the rules, then take a multiple choice test on a computer screen. Prety straightfoward.

Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

See this page:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

You'll just need your licence, id and money. The only test is an eye test as you have a UK licence. It used to be the case that you would have to sit the aptitude test but they stopped that about 2 years back i think.
I believe they still void your uk licence by punching a hole in it.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:51 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gedge
See this page:

You'll just need your licence, id and money. The only test is an eye test as you have a UK licence. It used to be the case that you would have to sit the aptitude test but they stopped that about 2 years back i think.
Yeh there is only a multipul choice test in Queensland, think that Sydney you just hand over the cash and get handed your new paperwork!!! Pete
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

See this page:

Yup, I walked into Manley RTA last week (not even intending to get a driving licence) and they couldn't wait to give me one. Just needed ID, evidence of Oz address, passports, UK driving licence and the dosh. One quick eye test and photo and hey presto. No theory test was required and they handed back my UK driving licence fully intact.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Yup, I walked into Manley RTA last week (not even intending to get a driving licence) and they couldn't wait to give me one. Just needed ID, evidence of Oz address, passports, UK driving licence and the dosh. One quick eye test and photo and hey presto. No theory test was required and they handed back my UK driving licence fully intact.
Quick question... was there any mention of them voiding your UK licence?

I believe they do this so that you can't just wander in again and get another licence, or use your UK one rather than your Oz one when copping a traffic offence charge.

When the missus and I did ours, we were seen by two different people at the same counter. The person doing my wife's used a hole punch on the photo id of her UK licence, but the person doing mine didn't (i forgot to point this out to them).
Don't know if this is something they are still meant to do.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I believe they do this so that you can't just wander in again and get another licence, or use your UK one rather than your Oz one when copping a traffic offence charge.

When the missus and I did ours, we were seen by two different people at the same counter. The person doing my wife's used a hole punch on the photo id of her UK licence, but the person doing mine didn't (i forgot to point this out to them).
They punched a hole in my photo card 5 months ago when I got Oz licence
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by isgraham
They punched a hole in my photo card 5 months ago when I got Oz licence
Thanks. I wonder what effect this might have if you try to use it again in the UK. I suppose you could always apply for a replacement.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:35 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. Easy! Just what i hoped.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

In Queensland it's just a written test. I did'nt have to do an eye test because I declared that I have to wear glasses or lenses to drive.

I did'nt surrender my UK licence or have it punched in any way.

You can pick up a copy of the highway code from newsagents btw.

Matt

Last edited by matt-and-jenny; Aug 13th 2006 at 7:20 am.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:36 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Same here. I got the Oz license in about 5 minutes as well. Not sure if that varies from office to office, but the one I went to had a machine and processed it straight away.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

My Husband had his UK lincence voided by the hole punch, but when I got mine on friday they neglected to do this, which is cool for me! Very easy to get the Oz licence...even the eye test was easy!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

gavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant future

They stopped doing this about three months ago. I got mine done when we first arrived and they punched a hole in my UK licence. When Mrs R got round to doing hers, she went in on a Friday afternoon and they told her to come back on the following Monday and she could have her UK one left intact.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by gavinrobertson
They stopped doing this about three months ago. I got mine done when we first arrived and they punched a hole in my UK licence. When Mrs R got round to doing hers, she went in on a Friday afternoon and they told her to come back on the following Monday and she could have her UK one left intact.
Thanks. It sounds like it's hit and miss whether it happens or not reading some of these responses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.