Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get to OZ?

How to get to OZ?

Old Sep 17th 2001, 11:05 am
dp
Just Joined

dp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - I was wondering if anyone can help us with our prediciment?

I am an Australian citizen living in London - and would like to go home soon with my british boyfriend. We have been together for 3 years and are looking to start phase II of our life on my side of the globe. He is an IT manager - 36 years old and is able to bring about AU $50,000 to the country. We want to get there as soon as possible but are confused as to which visa to go for.

Silled Migration:
He should get enough points with the Skilled migration to get in but then our relationship will not count at all.

Partner:
We are not married and would rather wait till this naturally evolves instead of pushing marriage or an engagement through for the sake of a visa. So we would be looking at the de-facto one.

Can anyone out there who has been through this give any advice on what would be the best way to approach this. We want to get there AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, so processing times are important to us. Is it feasable to apply for one and then apply for another if that is not accepted? How about going over to Oz on a tourist visa and then trying from there? Is it worth the risk.

Sorry to be so wordy - any advice thoroughly appreciated
dp
Old Sep 17th 2001, 1:21 pm
Rasmus Hald

Hi Dp

Looking at the information you're providing, my advice would be to apply on "De
Facto" grounds. I should prbably say that I don't have an overly impressive amount of
knowledge of the Skileld Migrations Visas, but I seem to recall there being a cap on
them, which raises the likeliness of such an application being knocked back. Applying
as "De Facto" falls within the spouse category, which means that no caps apply and
thus your boyfriend should be more likely of being granted the visa. I expect that
proving that you have been living together for 3 years is not much of a problem, and
since immigrations is only asking for at least 12 months, I would say that you should
be more than fullfilling the demands of this category. I would also suggest that he
simply travels to Australia on an ordinary tourist visa, allowing him to stayu for up
till 3 months, not working ofcourse. Once he has arrived you then lodge the
application with a local DIMA office in Australia. This will cost you about AUD 500
more, but should (if I have read the rules correctly) make him elligible for a
bridging visa while waiting for response to the application. If you can claim
financial hardship, on account of only one member of the relationship working, he
could even be elligible for a work visa straight away. I do not know whether this
wioll be possible though, if he is bringing AUD50000 into the country, but I would
consider it as an approach.

Apart from that, i reckon the standing advise in this group, of looking at the
Government immigration homepage (http://www.immi.gov.au) is a good idea for starters,
once you have done this you should perhaps also invest in the immigration booklets
needed for your application. These will apply you with all the nescessary forms, and
also with a fair amount of information about the class you are applying in. If memory
serves me correctly, these booklets are about AUD10 ea. and can be ordered from your
nearest embassy, DIMA-office or online on the immigration homepage.

Hope you could use some of this advise.

Good Luck

Rasmus

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >