Reload this Page >

How to get a flight upgrade?

How to get a flight upgrade?

Old May 19th 2003, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow How to get a flight upgrade?

Hope you don't think I had the answer

Come on spill the beans how do you get an upgrade on a flight. Have tried and tried to no avail

Any suggestions? Or hints and tips on making "cattle class" more comfy!!

Tori
Old May 19th 2003, 6:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I've never done it on a long haul flight (have tried though !!).

Generally, just dress smart, be polite and hope there are spare seats.

I've done it loads of times flying around europe. If you ask nicely.....
Old May 19th 2003, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Best polish up me posh voice and mind p's and q's
Old May 19th 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blag. !!

Its always worth asking at the desk for a move forward. Could always try the we are getting married tack.

We used that to get an upgrade going to Vegas, we did actually get married.

Not so easy to get an upgrade but Lounge tickets are always easy to blag, when you get to the desk ask for your lounge tickets, when they say we do not have any for you or that you are not entitled on your tickets, blag that your travel agent told you to collect them at the desk because of a mix up over tickets or booking problems.

9 times out of 10 you will get them, I nearly always do.

For those of you that don't know, the lounges have free food and drink, can save you a fortune if you have a long wait or get a delay.
Old May 19th 2003, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Perthbound is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be trying that....Thanks
Old May 19th 2003, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

my last g.f was a 'checkin' girl at g.wick..her advice was

a be single white male
b very well dressed
c well spoken and polite

although you're best bet is to work for a good airline..

my uncle is retired from united airlines and he always flew 1st class

typical fare for 'staff' -from san fran to sydney for $75us return!! (that was each though...)

otherwise you don't stand much chance...

i flew on singapore and tried for an upgrade (noticed devina m'call checking in to 'raffles class') to be told -"we don't do upgrades" :-(

although a friend noticed condorde on the runway and asked if there was any spare seats to be told -

"ah give us £100 quid and you can go" and he was on cattle class..!!

chance it by all means but don't get your hopes up

cheers

richard
Old May 19th 2003, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

I've given up trying to blag.

We had our honeymoon to the Maldives last year, and I asked for a cheeky upgrade to surprise my wife. Not only did they snub us, we didn't even sit next to each other on the flight because of their cock-up.

Monarch Airlines - scum, sub-human scum!
Old May 19th 2003, 6:35 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by karawara88
Blag. !!

Its always worth asking at the desk for a move forward. Could always try the we are getting married tack.

We used that to get an upgrade going to Vegas, we did actually get married.

Not so easy to get an upgrade but Lounge tickets are always easy to blag, when you get to the desk ask for your lounge tickets, when they say we do not have any for you or that you are not entitled on your tickets, blag that your travel agent told you to collect them at the desk because of a mix up over tickets or booking problems.

9 times out of 10 you will get them, I nearly always do.

For those of you that don't know, the lounges have free food and drink, can save you a fortune if you have a long wait or get a delay.

We tried when we were going out to get married in Sri Lanka and it didn't work. My mate always asks when she travels back to Oz and has managed to upgrade a couple of times. If you don't ask you don't gain but there is never a guarentee. Depends how full the flight is

Jo
Old May 19th 2003, 6:46 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to get a flight upgrade?

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hope you don't think I had the answer

Come on spill the beans how do you get an upgrade on a flight. Have tried and tried to no avail

Any suggestions? Or hints and tips on making "cattle class" more comfy!!

Tori
Had it a couple of times on long haul. Look presentable (but proper shirt and jeans OK). Turn up late to check in with a friend and get fed up when you can't sit together. Chat in very friendly way to the check-in person.

Cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

My hubby wanted an upgrade to Oz so we dressed well and was polite and we where upgraded to Business Class on Christmas eve last year.
Old May 19th 2003, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

I am SO jealous!!!!
Old May 19th 2003, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had upgrades a few times. Just be polite and enquire as to the possibility of an upgrade.

If the flight is fairly full in economy, they will look to upgrade people.

It helps if you have either a silver/gold frequent flier card as these are the first people they will upgrade.

It doesn't cost to ask. Most times you'll get knocked back, but it's always worth asking.

Happy flying.

Karl.
Old May 19th 2003, 7:24 pm
Badge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by r.bartlett
my last g.f was a 'checkin' girl at g.wick..her advice was

a be single white male
b very well dressed

NO CHANCE FOR BALDBUTTS then

:-)

badgers

Old May 19th 2003, 7:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I got upgraded to first by a client of mine who wasn't on my flight but was high up ish in BA.
I'd just got all settled in "peasant class" and they tannoyed me and asked me to get my baggage and follow them. I was cacking it, but i got to drink free champagne and choose my food, so i soon settled down!

Have tryed to blag it since, but its never worked, shame the client moved away!
Old May 19th 2003, 7:42 pm
Badge

Originally posted by h garrett
I got upgraded to first by a client of mine who wasn't on my flight but was high up ish in BA.
I'd just got all settled in "peasant class" and they tannoyed me and asked me to get my baggage and follow them. I was cacking it, but i got to drink free champagne and choose my food, so i soon settled down!

Have tryed to blag it since, but its never worked, shame the client moved away!

just after 9/11 bought a ticket from Luxembourg to london and queued in the business class queue to get checked in quicker - having my innocent 'apology' all ready for the check in girl.

she issued me with a business class ticket which amazed me until i realised my travel agent had accidentally booked me in a business seat anyway.

so luckily for me it was just as well i was cheeky. and also that the company were paying anyhow!!

badgers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.