Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How To Get Cheap Cars, Furniture And Everything In Australia!

How To Get Cheap Cars, Furniture And Everything In Australia!

Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:51 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default How To Get Cheap Cars, Furniture And Everything In Australia!

Hi there, not sure if this has been posted about before, but a quick flick through did not show it.

Just been looking at the Australian Ebay site, and there is decent looking cars there going for AUS$2000. Also almost everything else you will need starting out over there. It is fairly safe, as Ebay have fraud insurance, and also if you turn up to pick up a car which is signifcantly different from its online description, then you are not legally required to purchase it. Just make sure the car you bid on is in the same state as you. Could save you $1000's. I am going to make good use of Australian Ebay when my Aussie partner and I arrive early next year (fingers crossed!)
The address is:

www.ebay.com.au
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:40 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Ebay is a great place to look for stuff. I sell on ebay here in the UK, I also buy as well, and when I go back to Perth I intend to buy and sell over on aussie ebay as well. As far as fraud protection goes, be careful, it doesnt cover you on large amounts of money (I think the max they pay is $350 for transactions over $400). Another useful thing with ebay is signing up with paypal. If you get yourself a paypal account (easy to do) and someone you know has a paypal account in the UK, you can transfer money much more cheaply than a bank. Another place to look for cheap furniture etc is auction houses, I dont know about other states but in Perth you get loads of really nice furniture that has been used in show homes being sold off cheap in auction houses, Definately worth a look!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:59 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Get Cheap Cars, Furniture And Everything In Australia!

Originally posted by joninoxford
decent looking cars there going for AUS$2000
just make sure the dream car is the full road size version (and not a childs' toy)
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:16 pm
WBB

also if you pay using paypal and use your credit card you have total protection as you can chargeback the full amount to your credit card company if your order does not turn up.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:23 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Very true. Paypal is very handy.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:09 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: How To Get Cheap Cars, Furniture And Everything In Australia!

Originally posted by joninoxford
Just make sure the car you bid on is in the same state as you.
i wouldn't want to buy one that's over the hill with a serious emissions problem!
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by cherry6
Ebay is a great place to look for stuff. I sell on ebay here in the UK, I also buy as well, and when I go back to Perth I intend to buy and sell over on aussie ebay as well. As far as fraud protection goes, be careful, it doesnt cover you on large amounts of money (I think the max they pay is $350 for transactions over $400). Another useful thing with ebay is signing up with paypal. If you get yourself a paypal account (easy to do) and someone you know has a paypal account in the UK, you can transfer money much more cheaply than a bank. Another place to look for cheap furniture etc is auction houses, I dont know about other states but in Perth you get loads of really nice furniture that has been used in show homes being sold off cheap in auction houses, Definately worth a look!

You are certainly right about auctions...i went to one for the first time on Sunday...i bought heaps of solid hardwood teak furniture for a fraction of what it would cost retail and it was all new stuff in a liquidation auction... i reckon i just found me a new hobby..LOL
Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
also if you pay using paypal and use your credit card you have total protection as you can chargeback the full amount to your credit card company if your order does not turn up.
Can you elaborate what PayPal actually is, and how does it work?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 10:46 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Rog Williams

see www.paypal.com

paypal is like a middleman where you can send or receive money as long as you have an email address.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Although it acts a bit like a bank it doesn't have the government guarantees of a bank. There's no sign that they are in any financial trouble, but if they ever went belly up and you had a significant amount of money en route, you would lose it. I figured I should point that out for those of you looking at buying cars etc. through Ebay. I've only ever had positive experiences when using Paypal and Ebay.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Garage Sales

Another way to buy good stuff is from Garage Sales.

Almost every area has a few houses doing them at the weekend, advertised in the local paper, and signs on street poles pointing you in the right direction. Get there at 6am for the best stuff though!

Find one doing a removal sale, and you can fill a house for a reasonable price.

Another way; The last house we bought we offered to buy all the furniture with it for an extra $5,000. They accepted the price, as it saved them selling some of it, and paying the removal for the rest. (we liked the furniture they had !!)

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
see www.paypal.com

paypal is like a middleman where you can send or receive money as long as you have an email address.

Thanks - looked at it. Rog
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:25 am
Wishing on a star...

Paypal is owned by ebay, they charge a small percentage for payments funded by a credit card. you have a choice of 2 accounts, one is fee free but cannot accept cc payments. You can add your bank details and download the money into your account at any time for free.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Before using Paypal please read http://www.paypalwarning.com/

I have used paypal for a number of years and since ebay took over have had a few small problems with them mainly with the IPN feature. Money going missing, not being added to account, a friend of mine had his account suspended for no reason and it took 180 days to get the money back.

I have continued to use them but now keep balance to a minimum.