Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Wikiposts

How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

So your line is with Optus, your number (somewhere) with Telstra???

Oh dear
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:25 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Language Richard
aye Dick watch yer ****in language
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:27 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HUP
So your line is with Optus, your number (somewhere) with Telstra???

Oh dear
Telstra put in all the lines which costs ya $200 u can then go with who u like, but telstra omit to add that they tell everyvody that ur line doesnt support DSL...bastards they r...it happened to me
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:37 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I never thought I'd say it but Telstra make BT look like 'Best Customer Service of The Year' Award Winners.

Don't know anyone who hasn't had some problem with them at some point. After I changed phone to iinet when I got broadband Hellstra tried to charge me for line rental twice afterwards, took months to get them to stop sending me snotty letters.

You may have already tried this fraser, go to http://www.telstra.com.au/movinghome/index.cfm and there is a link to chat to an online 'customer service' agent. Might be better than talking on the phone.

The only other thing I can think is from something similar I read on the Whirlpool forums, if I recall correctly the sales department which deal with setting up and activating your new number are totally separate to the department that handles requests for ADSL, this guy had waited nearly three weeks being told same as you and it eventually turned out the sales dept had entered his details incorrectly and as far as the system was concerned his number was non-existent.

If you've seen Little Britain, I'm sure Telstra base their customer service on the bank clerk on there - 'Computer says no......'

Hope you get it sorted out soon, not looking forward to moving into the new house next year and going through all this and not even knowing if ADSL will be available.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Another hitch, I just spoke to my ISP who inform me that when thet asked Telstra to connect my adsl they said there was no such number, so they can't connect me.

I spoke to optus who my line is with and they so there's no reason why telstra should say that and there's nothing they can do about it.

I doubt if Telstra will talk to me as I don't have an account with them, I'm at a loss what to do
I may be wrong but you maybe barking up the wrong tree. If things are like the UK, telstra will have no idea what is on your line as it is probably leased to Optus. You are the customer of Optus, Optus is the customer of telsta. Optus should not be throwing their hands in the air and saying"we cannot help you" either Optus do not have the correct account reference to quote to Telstra(will not be the same as your own account no) or Telstra have lost the details in both cases it is not your fault and Optus are responsible as your provider to sort it out even if it means them creating a new account with Telstra. If telstra is less than helpfull that is not your problem Optus must deal with it and provide you with the service you have requested otherwise I cannot see how they can call themselves a service provider.
Hope you get sorted

bruce
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:09 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
I may be wrong but you maybe barking up the wrong tree. If things are like the UK, telstra will have no idea what is on your line as it is probably leased to Optus. You are the customer of Optus, Optus is the customer of telsta. Optus should not be throwing their hands in the air and saying"we cannot help you" either Optus do not have the correct account reference to quote to Telstra(will not be the same as your own account no) or Telstra have lost the details in both cases it is not your fault and Optus are responsible as your provider to sort it out even if it means them creating a new account with Telstra. If telstra is less than helpfull that is not your problem Optus must deal with it and provide you with the service you have requested otherwise I cannot see how they can call themselves a service provider.
Hope you get sorted

bruce

Thanks for all your advice but i think there's some confusion.

My telephone account is with Optus, but Telstra own all the lines hence they connect me.

I went to Tel-Pacific for my internet, they also have to go to Telstra to connect the ADSL, when they requested that they(telstra) connect me they said there was no such number.

I then spoke to optus who put my number in their computer and came up with my address and details, the guy was apolegetic but said Telstra has access to the same system so he was at a loss why they said my number doesn't exist. So there's not really a lot they can do about it.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:51 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advice but i think there's some confusion.

My telephone account is with Optus, but Telstra own all the lines hence they connect me.

I went to Tel-Pacific for my internet, they also have to go to Telstra to connect the ADSL, when they requested that they(telstra) connect me they said there was no such number.

I then spoke to optus who put my number in their computer and came up with my address and details, the guy was apolegetic but said Telstra has access to the same system so he was at a loss why they said my number doesn't exist. So there's not really a lot they can do about it.
Fraser,
anytime i've had trouble with Telstra, Optus etc (and there's been plenty of trouble) when the attitude goes to "no can do", I always ask to speak to their supervisor, surprisingly, things start happening and fast always after that. Most of these guys might not know how to fix it and quite often I've noticed the answer will be "no can do" rather than trying to fix it or to get help. Worth a try.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Fraser,
anytime i've had trouble with Telstra, Optus etc (and there's been plenty of trouble) when the attitude goes to "no can do", I always ask to speak to their supervisor, surprisingly, things start happening and fast always after that. Most of these guys might not know how to fix it and quite often I've noticed the answer will be "no can do" rather than trying to fix it or to get help. Worth a try.
Thanks, rest assured I wont give up
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:17 pm

I've been in to Telstra this morning and asked them to test my number they told me I can get broadband within a week.

I've now phoned up Tel-Pacifc who rang me back on the landline, she said Telstra's wreport said no such service, which she found very odd seeing as she'd just rung me on it. She's re-submitting the request and is going to put it in writing if ir gets declined so that I can take it to Telstra.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:13 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in to Telstra this morning and asked them to test my number they told me I can get broadband within a week.

I've now phoned up Tel-Pacifc who rang me back on the landline, she said Telstra's wreport said no such service, which she found very odd seeing as she'd just rung me on it. She's re-submitting the request and is going to put it in writing if ir gets declined so that I can take it to Telstra.
Can't get on www.whirlpool.net at the moment the site seems to be down, but did you know Telstra have a long history of telling 3rd party isp's that a customer's line is unsuitable for ADSL but then quite happily signing them up for Bigpond, I believe they have been fined or given a rap over the knuckles by the ACCC (Communications Competion Commission)

Take a look at this story (from 2003 but if you look on Whirlpool forums there are countless examples of this)

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/0...256D6600050215

Even where customers can get ADSL, evidence is mounting that Telstra has been giving its retail BigPond division unfair access to those customers, telling competing ISPs the relevant lines are incompatible with ADSL.

Customer Steve Mann has told how he applied for iiNet ADSL and was rejected, supposedly due to excessive noise on his line. But after applying for Telstra BigPond ADSL, he was surprised to be connected "no questions asked". Telstra had told iiNet that Mann was too far from the phone exchange and that noise on his line made delivering an ADSL service impossible.
Edited to add: This is the article I was looking for:

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1187

Last edited by Flying Banana; Oct 27th 2005 at 2:34 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:53 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fraser

I've not read all the replies so apologies if this has been said already, but I'm signing up with Westnet for broadband and it kept failing because they said there was no such number, but it turns out it takes a day or so for the phone number to register.

HTH
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hi Fraser

I've not read all the replies so apologies if this has been said already, but I'm signing up with Westnet for broadband and it kept failing because they said there was no such number, but it turns out it takes a day or so for the phone number to register.

HTH

Thank you Bridie, how the devil are you
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:30 pm

I've been informed today that I do Indeed have a phone line and should be online at a decent speed by Tuesday.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I've been informed today that I do Indeed have a phone line and should be online at a decent speed by Tuesday.
smart ass (said with great bandwidth speed)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
smart ass (said with great bandwidth speed)
It wasn't received very quick